Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 182323 times)

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #1200 on: February 08, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »

love, Love, LOVE it Deb!!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1201 on: February 14, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »
Winter, Winter, Winter...  it can be over for me and I feel for these feathered friends.  We have had a deep snow cover now for a couple of weeks and now the temperature has just gotten frigid.  Filling the bird feeders daily and sometimes two times a day.  I am not sure how those birds can keep their feet warm.

House Finches, Juncos, Goldfinches

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1202 on: February 14, 2021, 04:06:09 PM »
Along with the cold and snow sometimes you get a bird that you don't want to see at your feeder and then sometimes you get a bird that you are so excited to see which is very uncommon.  Watching the birds at the feeder the other day and all of a sudden they all scatter   :eceek ,  and then in flies a cooper's hawk and lands on the neighbors tree.  Poor thing didn't get a meal,  I know they have to eat and it is very hard on them also.  Glad it didn't get one of the birds in front of me but hope it found something to eat some where.  Then after the birds felt safe after the Cooper's Hawk left I noticed another bird that seemed a little different than the normal Junco I usually have.  It is not a female one either,  thinking it is a different species.  Looking at the different ones and I think it could be a Pink-Sided Junco or Oregon.  I wish the photo would be clearer but was taken through the back door window.  How awesome !!!!

I just have to show this cute little, tough little Carolina wren

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1203 on: February 15, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »
They look very  plump! and the coopers thinks so too!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1204 on: February 22, 2021, 08:47:48 PM »
It was a nice day on Saturday,  been a very long time with all the snow and cold temps over the last couple of weeks.  Off to look for Sandhill Cranes along the river and fields.  The area had cranes staying all winter BUT I never saw any the whole day.  I saw some Meadow Larks, Horned Larks and a fellow bird nerd.  The bird nerd gave me some info about a River Otter family.  Well that sounded pretty exciting so I went back to see if I could see them.   I parked by the pond that they were spotted in.  So I waited....  and waited....  watching the holes that were open on the pond.  This pond is located right beside the Platte River so they have access to the river also.  After no activity I took a hike,  there is a walking path around the pond and then  up to a Public Crane viewing walkway (south of the Crane Trust Visitor Center).  While walking around I saw the signs that the Otters were there,  Otter tracks.  They are not just footprints but also belly slides.

The River Otter was put on the Endangered and Threatened list back in 1986 because none were found in Nebraska due to habitat alterations, trapping.  There were otters in other states so the task was to reintroduce them to rivers in Nebraska( Platte, Niobrara, South Loup, Elkhorn, Calamus and Cedar).  In 2020 they made their recovery and were taken off the list.

The footprints and slides of the Otter

A little video of the River Otters, Sandhill Cranes calling in the background

https://youtu.be/o2cAzTCK7Z0

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1205 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:35 PM »
A few more videos of the River Otters

https://youtu.be/4j5ylvXn7Vg

https://youtu.be/Axx-VGyngiA

They are very good at catching fish

https://youtu.be/0ebimP0bgyU

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1206 on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:18 PM »
Such a nice day outside but taking photos with the snow and the bright sun is very challenging.  I did manage a few other bird photos.  There was a Meadowlark and flocks of Horned Larks.  Interesting that they gathered along the side of the gravel roads eating. 

The Platte River is pretty frozen over

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1207 on: February 23, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
Terrific series, Deb. No wonder they call you a master naturalist!

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1208 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:39 AM »
These are fantastic Deb. Thank you for sharing with us. :hearts2
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.