Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 180924 times)

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #1185 on: December 20, 2020, 11:12:41 AM »
It has finally got to winter around here.  The days are pretty short and has been cold but I made a drive out to look for short-eared owls.  While there waiting for the sun to set the meadowlarks were very visible sitting on the posts .  Some great evening light on  them.  Now to wait for the owls to come out.  Of course where I sitting in my car I could see a couple flying at the far end of the road going over the field.  I drove closer and got a couple of photos as they flew with the late evening sky.  No luck with them sitting on the posts.  Then it was pretty clear out and thought I would check on the planets, Saturn and Jupiter.  They are close to each other now and will be the closest on Dec 21st. 

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1186 on: December 20, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
Gorgeous meadowlark photos! The light was truly beautiful.

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1187 on: December 20, 2020, 08:38:59 PM »
Take Two on the Short-eared Owl.  Tonight it was cloudy and not as cold.  As I drove the gravel road where I had seen the owls, my headlights were off and I see a bird on a post.  I slowly creep forward and sure enough it is an owl.  I continue to creep and then get the car at an angle so I can take a photo out the window.  They hunt over the wetlands and prairie grasses for mice, voles and such.  It stayed looking around until it was so dark I could hardly see it.

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1188 on: January 09, 2021, 05:38:45 PM »
Here it is just barely after sun up on a cloudy day and I hear this birds song going on and on.  I finally spot it over on the fence, quickly got my camera and carefully got to a spot that I could get a picture.  It sat there and sang and sang and then looked around like is anyone going to join in.  It sure is a sweet song that the Carolina Wren sings.  For a tiny round little bird it sure can belt out the notes.

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1189 on: January 11, 2021, 05:55:37 PM »
There is a celebrity hanging out in an area of Nebraska that has got many birders traveling from all parts of the state.  I had to go check it out on Sunday.  Of course the weather was not the clear blue sky you would like but hey it was my day off.  So I took off and made the hour and 20 min drive to the area that the special guest has been spotted for the last week.  The area is along a double lane highway with  some power poles along side of the road and then there is the open cornfield.  I am driving east on the road and on one pole i see a nice red tail hawk ( not what I am looking for).  I continue on and trying to drive slow enough that I can scan the field and the poles.  OH MY  -   :binocs  there it is on the top of the pole but I can't stop so I go up to the next turn out and turn back now on the other side heading west.  This time I can slow down and pull off the road onto the shoulder of the road.  Parked right across on the pole is the SNOWY OWL.  It is now just after 11 0'clock in the morning.  No one else has stopped, cars are zipping by on both sides of the road ( do you suppose they even are aware of the special bird that is right there on the pole)   It is not common to see snowy owls this far south.  When one is here there are a few things that occur 1. there is a lack of food up north and they travel south looking for food 2. there was good breeding  so lots owl numbers so they need to reach other places hunting for food.  Sometimes they end up in rehab because of vehicle strikes and being in a weakened state.  Let us hope this one does well and returns north healthy.

Looks very sleepy but still is very watchful

Did a little preening and got all fluffed up

link to my photo page on flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/debmiller11/50822780776/in/dateposted/

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1190 on: January 12, 2021, 08:29:18 PM »
On my road trip to look for the snowy owl I took the highway that crosses the Platte River.  There is an eagle couple that has a territory somewhere near the bridge. You can see one or both usually sitting high on the power poles.  So as I got closer to the bridge I was checking each pole and sure enough on the left side of the road there was an eagle.  Right by the bridge there is a little road that people use when getting out of the river with their kayaks or canoes.  I was able to get turned around and positioned to sit in my car and take photos out my window.  The morning was gray making the light very difficult for photos.  Mr was sitting on the pole and was looking out over the river.  I just happen to be taking some photos of it when the female came in for a landing and made him fly off.  She took over the look out spot on top of the pole.

Now she has taken over

Link to my photo page
 https://www.flickr.com/photos/debmiller11/50822032458/in/photostream/

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1191 on: January 12, 2021, 09:18:05 PM »
Isn't it wonderful when you are in the right place at the right time?  In your mobile bird blind, no less.

Great photos!

Online gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1192 on: January 17, 2021, 04:40:46 PM »
In the fall the Sandhill Cranes migrate south and some stop here for a short time and then continue on south.  Sometimes we get a few that stay longer.  They are pretty a hardy bird that can handle the cold weather.  Sometimes when they arrive in the early spring we have some nasty cold weather or snow storms. There has been a pretty large number of them staying this year.  They have been staying in the cornfields south of the Platte River and then at night return to the river.  The river has not been frozen solid so they can stay there safely.  Here are a couple photos of them in the cornfield late in the afternoon.  The sky had some nice pastel color with the clouds.

Link to my photos
 https://www.flickr.com/photos/debmiller11/50847035677/in/photostream/