Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 182325 times)

Offline amazedbyeagles

Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
Love the collection of sparrows!  Doesn't seem like a song sparrow to me... no breast spot usually seen on song sparrows.  The eye stripe seems like the Savannah sparrow.  But it's hard to tell if this as a streaked or unstreaked breast.  Could be a younger sparrow with less marked markings, esp. since it was seen in the fall.  It looks like it has a longer tail, pointy-ish, so, Cassin's shows a longer tail and a bit of an eye stripe.  Tough to id any sparrow!  Thanks for the wonderful close-up photos, Deb!  Impossible to see these small birds well enough to id without a lens!
One helper I've come to rely on for identifying the birds I glimpse as they flit through trees or weeds, is the Merlin Bird ID, an app on my iphone.  You can choose a location, a date of sighting, a size, the colors you've noticed, and the app will choose possible birds in your area at the date with those colors and of that size.  I click on the ones I think it could be and listen to the song and calls, read the details, and 9 times out of 10 I've been able to id the bird I've seen.
 :eclove

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »
My input on the sparrow,  looking for a few identifying points.  Is is found in my area?  Amazed mentioned Cassin's,  really not a bird in my area by the range maps, this bird doesn't have a white eye ring.  I do think it is a young sparrow.  Does have a slight eyestripe,  beak  stout and seems streaky on the breast.  That is the challenging thing about identification.  What markings to look for and to make them fit for that bird.  As you have seen there are many different sparrows, different ages show a little bit different markings.  Don't you just love a challenge?
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2016, 07:49:43 PM »
I don't even dare to try to ID the sparrow!  there is an ABA Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatsthisbird/
that will help if you post the photo and location data - I have gotten some help there on several Arizona species.  Astonishingly (and wonderfully!) there is a group of teenagers who snap back with the ID often in a matter of minutes after I post. One of them helps on the Flickr Bird Identification page as well.  I noticed they did not attempt hummingbirds, tho (an ABA webmaster helped me on those).

ETA:  OK, I can't help but take a guess. I think it might be a Song Sparrow, as wren suggested. The tail is really long, which is one of the characteristics of a Song Sparrow.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #543 on: November 10, 2016, 04:04:43 AM »
I live in southern Ontario in the Niagara Peninsula area.. Our song sparrows look just like that. Although I am not a bird expert by any means, I see lots of those little fellows regularly. I worry about them, as the drink from puddles at the side of roads, where they might get hit by cars or stones thrown up by tires. Worse, the puddles have oily slicks.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #544 on: November 11, 2016, 09:17:06 PM »
I want to thank all that have looked in on this thread and made comments.   That is what makes this really neat, adding input from so many.  Makes me happy :)  I think the Challenge sparrow is a Song Sparrow.  I am no expert by along ways but I have checked field guides and came up with the same species.  Thanks for adding your info and your idea of what bird it is.  Today from my bird feeder the house sparrows were very busy.  They really like the clematis that i have growing on my fence.  It gives them really nice shelter.   

House Sparrow

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #545 on: November 13, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
Today's sparrow Identification post.  Such a nice day outside so I took the opportunity to go visit the small lake just outside of my town.  I was hoping to find more sparrow species to share here.  The juncos have arrived in large numbers now.  I saw many kinds of sparrows but they are ones I had seen before.  Then while walking past a group of honeylocust trees I caught a glimpse of something different.  Of course so many branches and those thorns in the way-- I wait and hope it shows itself better for a picture.  I have come to the conclusion that they just don't like to have their pictures taken  :eclol  So here is the best I could do and please feel free to add your comments as to what you think it is.  I have my idea and will post in a couple days and we can compare.  Thanks

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #546 on: November 14, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »
I am fairly certain that this is a Savannah sparrow (note the yellow in front of the eye).  :eclove

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #547 on: November 14, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
my decision was White-Throated Sparrow,  but what do I know?

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #548 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
(Because of the white throat, I suppose.)  :biggrin3

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #549 on: November 14, 2016, 08:06:39 PM »
my decision was White-Throated Sparrow,  but what do I know?

Apparently you know sparrows better than I do!!   :thumbup:

The wing bars are also good for White throated.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #550 on: November 16, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »
Great Job on the ID of this sparrow.  As you can see sometimes you think it is one kind and then as you look and compare you see something different.  That is what makes it so challenging and fun, right this is fun !!  The sparrow is a White-Throated Sparrow.  I hope you all enjoyed checking this out,  maybe I will still find another sparrow to add to this list.   Thanks again for all your input.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #551 on: November 22, 2016, 03:56:40 PM »
Nice thread!  I love this and I am learning!
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
Winter has not officially begun but boy did we have a cold spell over the weekend.  I looked out the front picture window and saw these two squirrels huddling together in this hallow part of our tree.  They stayed for a bit, left and then later I looked out again and they were snuggling together again.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
They are so darling. Thank you for sharing Deb  :eclove

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #554 on: December 21, 2016, 02:04:32 AM »
snug as bugs in a rug!  :ecwink