Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 182883 times)

Offline jeavverhey

Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #480 on: June 20, 2016, 05:29:20 AM »
Greathotos and info! Ty Deb

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #481 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
Wonderful photos, Deb!  We used to see a lot of terns on Cape Cod and they swoop dangerously close to intruders...  some areas were off bounds for humans, so the terns could nest undisturbed!  I love your killdeer!  They have such elegant long legs, and don't you love their piercing calls??  Thanks so much for sharing! :eclove

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »
Two years ago I saw my first "skunk bird"  I had no idea what it was, didn't have a field guide with me so had to wait till I got home.  Finally the picture and the name.... Bobolink  :ecsmile

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
 :ecsmile Great deb you aptly named it   :ecwink

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #484 on: June 21, 2016, 06:33:45 AM »
Bobolinks used to be plentiful in Ontario when I was a child.  Sadly I rarely see or hear them now.  I always loved to hear their calls. Humans must start preserving more wildlife habitat before wildlife disappears completely.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
I agree with that soooooo much Jeav.  I think in a small way that is why I so enjoy taking pictures and posting them for people to see, enjoy and get some information that they can learn from or share with others.  We all have an important part in this adventure.   :ecsmile

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #486 on: June 21, 2016, 06:38:04 PM »
Yes, Deb!   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #487 on: June 22, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
Bobolinks used to be plentiful in Ontario when I was a child.  Sadly I rarely see or hear them now.  I always loved to hear their calls. Humans must start preserving more wildlife habitat before wildlife disappears completely.

There are a number of bobolinks in my area, they are ground nesters and nest in the grassfields. My favorite go-to place, the Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary, is managed for the grasslands.  We have about 40 nests (or maybe more, I am not sure). I love hearing the males calling as they fly - I think of them as  "the machu pichu bird"  because that is what the call sounds like to me.

Horribly, farmers usually mow their fields around this time (mid-June), just as the eggs have hatched and the babies are still in the nest. Think about that ...  it happened recently when some town was getting ready for the Fourth of July!!!   Fortunately, the fields will not be mowed at DWWS for another month.

Happily, local Audubon Societies (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont) has The Bobolink Project, in which they partner with local farmers and get them to hold off mowing their fields until early-mid-July, after the babies have fledged.  http://www.bobolinkproject.com/

I hope Deb won't mind if I share a photo of one of the DWWS male Bobolinks.

Bobolink (male) by NancyM, on Flickr

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #488 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
I think it is really neat that you add to the thread.  It is amazing that  we share seeing the same birds all across the country.  Habitat is so important to ensure the birds have a place to live and reproduce.  We have to be their voice sometimes.   :heart

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #489 on: June 22, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
beautiful bird  ty Nancy for adding

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
Follow up to the Restoration sandpit with the Piping Plovers and Interior Least Terns.  I knew there were nests out there but the area is restricted to a certain distance and I have been waiting for chicks to hatch and run about.  Of course they are well camouflaged on the sand so you need to look with a scope or binoculars. It wasn't so hot and we had a few rain showers in the area so was hoping to see little ones.  I got to a good spot and settled in so I could scan the sand.  I see some movement out there and focus in the best I can- Sweetness.  Here comes some little piping plovers racing to the edge of the water.  I think I counted 5 of those speedy little chicks.

And the winner is.....

These are all cropped in and with my lens there is no way to get a real clear picture but I am just so happy to see them and just to share.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
The Interior Least Terns are still on their nests.  I saw many sitting on their nest and mate switching or bringing minnows.  These birds are very protective of their nests,  I was told they will fly right after a bald eagle that gets to close.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #492 on: June 26, 2016, 05:11:33 PM »
While at the restoration area some other birds also are living there.

Spotted Sandpiper

I think this is a song sparrow

Mrs and Mr Red-winged Blackbird

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »
Wonderful wonderful captures Deb!!! :s*  Thanks so much for sharing!  Your patience and persistence at seeing those babies is terrific!!! Thank You!  :eclove

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #494 on: June 27, 2016, 04:14:10 AM »
Awwwww  :eclove