Author Topic: Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -  (Read 315488 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Sights & News From Other Reserves: Dec. 2011 -
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
Thanks Beth for posting about the beautiful Narina Trogon and also the Turaco.

On Aug. 13, 2012 Adam Bannister from Londolozi wrote a blog about the beautiful Narina Trogon. I saved it and thought I had posted it - obviosuly not, as I am having trouble finding it on here.  :puzzled2

http://blog.londolozi.com/2012/08/why-is-it-called-a-narina-trogon/
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
 :thumbup: I found the blog Adam wrote about the Trogon. Posted in late Sept. along with some other blogs -
HERE :biggrin3 
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: From Idube Game Reserve
« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
Dec. 17,  Egyptian geese and their 5 Goslings

Gabi H. took this photo from the Idube Game Reserve via the 'Africam'. Eyes are all on the goslings as there is a crocodile in the water at Idube.   :ohno

I hope for the best for the family.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »
Dec.17   from Lion Sands, in Sabi Sands

Tristan Dicks, ranger now at Lion Sands posted this photo and description of the 'Kruger Male'.  In the next few days I need to do some reading on FB group for 'Lions of Sabi Sands'.  Why ? because in late Aug. Adam Bannister of Londolozi reported that they thought the deceased lion they had seen was the 'Kruger Male'.  :puzzled2

:offtobed

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
December 2012  - Elephants Funny Behavior at Nkorho
Uploaded by a Wil Vermeesch

it certainly was funny. Almost as thought some were deciding if the vehicle and tourists were OK. What else was making be this way  :puzzled2

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q1A9-oaNYsU?fs=1&start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I posted on FB that I thought the ellies were deciding if the vehicle and tourists were facing a mock charge.  Sandra G. commented in reply
Those ellies were having a very nice time there! And Bbe is right.... the ellies were very accepting of the vehicle and the visitors; the one ellie who lifted her trunk several times in a salute was exhibiting a greeting elephants use among themselves all the time. I would be thrilled to have an ellie greet me that way!
:ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2012, 12:34:42 AM »
Dec. 10 - 16 Sightings list for Elephant Plains included lions, leopards, elephants and more.
http://www.elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/2012/12/big-5-sightings-10-16-december-2012/

And three wonderful photos taken by Willie Woest.

Woodland Kingfisher

Sunset

And best of all Salayexe and her cub

Way past my bedtime. I won't be back for several days.

:v

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #276 on: December 19, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
Dec.17   from Lion Sands, in Sabi Sands

Tristan Dicks, ranger now at Lion Sands posted this photo and description of the 'Kruger Male'.  In the next few days I need to do some reading on FB group for 'Lions of Sabi Sands'.  Why ? because in late Aug. Adam Bannister of Londolozi reported that they thought the deceased lion they had seen was the 'Kruger Male'  :puzzled2

I have done some reading. There were two brothers who were known as the 'Kruger Males'. The one Adam reported dead in August was the one known as 'Limper'. The one I posted about above (with Tristan Dicks photo) is the other brother who is alive and well. Folks are apparently calling him 'Freddy'. (as he can be mean - as in 'Freddy of Elm Street' ?)

Bye for now.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #277 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
A relatively new Facebook timeline with some awesome photos of African wildlife.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/AfricaThroughMyLens/photos_stream

A photographer by the name of Liz Hart has just spent a few days at Mashatu. Here are three absolutely beautiful photos she posted on the timeline.  :wub

Dec. 18th - Elephants

Dec. 19 - The Mashatu Prince

Dec. 19th - Leopard ? the prince or another is not clear.

:ty  and   :thumbup:

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #278 on: December 19, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »
WOW, gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing them, BBE!

I am glad to hear Karula is doing okay. I hope to hear about her new cub(s) soon!  :eclove
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #279 on: December 26, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
Dec. 22 - Elephants at Mashatu

Another beautiful photo from the Mashatu elephant hide; taken by Shem Compion. We have seen some of Shem Compion   :nod2 :thumbup:

Thank you Shem for capturing this great action shot of the elephants.

:ty

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #280 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
Dec. 24. Lion Sands
The field ranger, Ale Olivieri reported on their FB site about a beautiful sighting - a lioness and her cub.

:thumbup:  :eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #281 on: December 26, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
Hello,

While we aren't familiarar with all the 'cats' mentioned in these articles there are some great photos. Londolozi has changed the banner for their site.

Dec. 20 - Adam Bannister wrote about Tsalala Young Male Comes of Age!

There is trouble brewing amongst the Londolozi Lions. Lion Warfare has taken an unexpected turn in the last 3 weeks with the Tsalala Young Male and his comrade, the Sparta Male, appearing to be hell bent on pushing back into Londolozi. It has been fascinating to watch them move further and further north, on a near daily basis, up into Majingilane territory.

Dec. 21 - Talley Smith's father, a photographer in his own right, posted some super photos, including Majingilane lion, Martial Eagle, Sparta Cub and more . . . . . .    
The Week in Pictures # 63.

Dec. 24 - Adam Bannister wrote about the sights for the past month - lions, leopards, wildebeest with new calves, zebras, and a cheetah.
December at Londolozi.

Bye for now - Ann   :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
January 9, 2013 and Happy New Year

Most of the people who visit here know that our favourite female leopard at Djuma - 'La Diva Karula' gave birth to her fourth litter in early December 2012.  Karula as the good Mother she is, is keeping the cub(s) to well hidden and out of harms way. No-one has seen them as yet.  She has been seen and is lactating = babies.

In the meantime I have been posting updates on two topics here, which is getting confusing.  :mconfused  

As of now all updates about Karula and her new cub(s) can be found in this new topic: 2013: Updates, Sightings, Photos etc. re Karula and New Litter.

:eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
Arathusa Ranger Guides blog Dec. 30, 2012 - Jan. 5, 2013

Lots of news re leopards, including what we already know about Karula lacatating.  But it seems she and the likely father of her latest litter; Mvula, had a disagreement over an impala kill Karula made.  Now Mvula needs to be told that ladies who have had babies and are nursing need food.  :eclol
Also photos of Karula's daughters with their respective cub(s) taken by Brandon Birch.
http://blog.arathusa.co.za/2013/01/rangers-diary-30-december-2012-5-january-2013/

One of Thandi's (Saseka) cubs.

Shadow (Tingana) and her two adorable cubs - one lying in front of the other.

Note: Saseka and Tingana are Karula's daughters from her first litter.

:eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »
Jan. 16, 2013 - Update from Mashatu Game Reserve

Hopefully the rain has also raised the water level at Pete's Pond.