Author Topic: Your Photos & Stories  (Read 520783 times)

Offline Blue

• HEG
Re: Your Photos & Stories
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 07:55:55 PM »
I took that photo out on a walk near here.  He is looking for food in a very shallow run-off of water going across the ground there.

The Kinglets are our smallest bird next to the hummingbirds.

If you have trouble telling the Ruby-crowned from the Golden-crowned (their crown isn't showing), the Ruby-crowned has a broken white eye ring.  They often don't show their colourful crowns unless they are alarmed.  The Ruby is more of a loner while the Golden is often in flocks.

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline TorontoEagleFan

• Three Star Pet Sitting Services
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Our eastern screech owl has returned, 2 months late but we're thrilled and will forgive him or her for worrying us!  We heard it calling out on Tuesday or Wednesday three times and at dusk it flew out.  We couldn't get pics as it was dark and we could only see the silhouette.  The male in this pair is a red morph while the female is grey.  The other pair we had in the park were both grey and the male was TINY!  The red male isn't anywhere near as small as he is.

Today while we were hoping to see hawks, we had a gorgeous fox come into the park.  I got some pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammikens/sets/72157622769865041/

I saw a golden-crowned kinglet today and we also had a lot of moths in the park.  Some flowers are also blossoming because they're confused with the mild weather.  We still haven't had any snow in Toronto which is really odd!

Offline cercis

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »
Great photos, TEF!  Thanks for sharing!
--- suzi ---

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »
Wow! TEF! Nice fotos of the fox.
What a gorgeous coat they have.

Your avatar, are those one of the two eaglets where one was feeding the other?
wooohoooo!

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
Great news the screech owl returned it would be worrisome wondering if their okay, hope the fox doesn't like owls :eceek.
 Enjoyed cruising through your photos some great ones, it surprises me to see so much wildlife in & around Toronto.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
Gorgeous fox. Thanks so much for sharing it. Awwww   I'd love to see one in the wild.  :eclove
beth
from California

Offline TorontoEagleFan

• Three Star Pet Sitting Services
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
Wow! TEF! Nice fotos of the fox.
What a gorgeous coat they have.

Your avatar, are those one of the two eaglets where one was feeding the other?

Hi Barb, yes, that's one of the Vanier Park eaglets.  I think it's on the Coast Guard building.  When I was in Vancouver in September my friend took me back down there and showed me all the different spots where the eagles and eaglets hung out, so now I have a better picture of it in my mind. 

Yesterday I was looking at a calendar from a real estate agent, you know one of those that has different scenery in it?  None of the pictures had labels saying where they were and I thought they were mostly American because I saw an American flag in one pic.  Well go figure, there is a picture from Vancouver, you can see the Granville Island Bridge with the Burrard Street Bridge behind it and the eagle nest tree behind that!  The leaves were all orange/yellow and if they'd taken the picture a week later the nest would have been completely visible!  Of course I was looking all over the picture in hopes of spotting an eagle!

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »
Hi, TEF!  So glad you found the forum  :biggrin3.

Your fox photos are beautiful.  I think that is the prettiest fox I have ever seen!  What an amazing coat.

Thanks for posting the fox info/pix!!!!
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »
TEF, welcome to ONZ!  We all hope you'll enjoy it and the Hornby Eagles with us.  Thank you for posting the link to your lovely photos of the fox.  It's a very handsome one!!!  Red f'oxes are one of my favorite animals!   :eclove  I'm going to take a closer look at your photos a Flickr and just made you a contact there.   (Cathy G.)
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 07:25:42 PM »
Raven's Great Adventure
Native American Story
by the Innu
http://www.angelfire.com/ct/deerwhorns/stories3.html

A few years ago going through the Rockies outside Jasper BC. Pulled over at a viewing site, & the Ravens who are normally very very shy had discovered humans would feed them & a couple of them would take the food out of your hand. :eceek

clickable ^^^

The Raven
by Edgar Allen Poe
http://www.angelfire.com/ct/deerwhorns/poeraven.html

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:04:36 PM by BBE »

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
LOVELY passerine!!
i like ravens.
wooohoooo!

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 09:13:28 PM »
This was in the early hours of the snow storm on the east coast. It continued for another 14 hrs from when this was taken. In the end, there is at least 20 inches and more where it is drifted.

I think that we will have a white Christmas.  :biggrin3 They are calling for more snow Christmas eve.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »
passerine, lovely pics and good info and one of my favourite poems.

BV - that looks cold, but lovely; as long as one is bundled up well; or inside.

Monday I'll be seeing a similar scene and it will be a white Christmas.

Stay, warm and safe and Merry Christmas.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »
That is a very artistic photo, BV...it's something I'd like to draw if I weren't so busy watching for eagles on the nest...your composition is especially nice.   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 07:44:39 AM »
Gee, thank you, Tigerlady.  :eclol Composition was not a goal when taking this. All of my windows have interior screens (older Anderson windows) which tend to distort the pictures. The bay window in the livingroom has 5 panels, of which 2 are not screened. I took the photo through one of those. If I get brave and wander out today, I may get a few more. I love to take photos of sunrises and snow scenes.

PS Dang eagles seem to be an excuse for a lot of things lately at my house too. :ecrolleyes But I wouldn't have it any other way.