Author Topic: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren't Eagle Related... 2011-2012  (Read 141093 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Hornby Ground Observations That Aren't Eagle Related... 2011-2012
« Reply #540 on: September 22, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
Each bird gets a stainless-steel band. In previous studies, they were using aluminum bands and on the older ones the numbers are becoming illegible.
Looks like tricky business. These people are perfectionists, too.

I caught a banded bird on a photo at Big Qualicum River last fall... That looks like an aluminum band. The picture probably wouldn't be good enough to read the band anyway.
October 19, 2011, Big Qualicum

Ouch, this can't be very comfortable... The black dot inside confirms what the weight and measurement told us: this is a male.

Each bird gets weighed, measured, banded... We take samples from all of them, and also a series of mugshots.
This fellow does not have such a prominent eye ring, but it seems to me that I can see the margin of his cheek patch starting to show.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #541 on: September 22, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »
September 13, 4:32 pm.

Emily releases the last bird of the project.
Congratulations!  :heart

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #542 on: September 22, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
Interesting day Wren, lucky you, thanks for sharing. I learned quite a bit more about the beautiful Harlequin Ducks. Kudos to the biologists I do hope they figure out how to help them.

Offline gzebear

« Reply #543 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
wren, I love how you were able to jump into that fascinating project, with something to contribute! The photos are great. I hope we get to hear results of Emily's work. Thanks for sharing!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »

i noticed movement in the grass & spotted this Ant having a heck of a time dragging a huge Fly through the grass blades.

august 7 2012 16:20 - hard working Ant

august 7 2012 16:20 - hard working Ant
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #545 on: September 25, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
Another paddling adventure, this time from Grassy Point westward to the far side of Collishaw Point. All the birds you'll see in this photo sequence are likely to show up on the cam when it zooms to the water.

A Common loon near Grassy Point. His or her back is just starting to darken into winter plumage.

September 18, 1:56

As I approached Collishaw, part of the shoreline suddenly came to life. What had looked like a pile of rocks turned out to be a pile of seals, all hauled up and sunning themselves. They splashed down to the water and I was surrounded by them, just as curious about me as I was about them.

A few stayed lounging on the rocks. Here's one of them, in the siren pose on a rock just big enough to hold him. Another seal in the water right next to the rock. There were maybe two dozen in the area.
2:08

You might see seals from the cam, too. They might be difficult to tell apart from birds; they don't usually haul out in the cam territory, so you only see their head as they float around. The sealions swim in groups, close to the surface, breathing often, but seals just quietly disappear and then reappear a distance away. Sometimes they splash their flippers as a way to communicate.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #546 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
On the paddle back to Grassy Point, I spotted a group of gulls noisily feeding on something a little ways offshore. The activity then tapered off and the birds stayed there, swimming. I knew that sometimes, those feeding groups hide some interesting guests, so I aimed my kayak for them, and slowly drifted toward them.

I could smell herring! It's a very distinctive smell, one that most people have smelled if they've watched captive seals being fed at an aquarium.

And sure enough, among all the gulls there were some surprises!
2:56

A Pacific Loon! This was my first close sighting of one; I had only seen them through binoculars before. There were 5 or 6 of them among the gulls.
The smaller gulls with short bills are probably Mew Gulls.

Here's another adult Pacific Loon... They didn't allow me close, so none of the pics is terribly clear, but still this is the best view I've ever had of them.
2:57

I'm pretty sure this is also a Pacific Loon, a youngster or an adult in transition to winter plumage. Common Loon, even in juvenile plumage, has a partial white collar. Also at the time it seemed to be the same size as the other Pacifics (Common Loon is larger and chunkier).
3:02

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »
Here's another beautiful bird I saw among all the gulls... This is a Red-necked Grebe. This one is a youngster, with the neck still grey.
September 18, 2:27

Here's an adult. Maybe the parent of the other one.
I saw another one of those Grebes from the beach near the cam this afternoon at high tide. They're around!

September 18, 2:58

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #548 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
what a closeup series! thank you winterwren, the rednecked grebe is a new one to me, awesome :eclove

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #549 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
Thanks Wren... great pics as always.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #550 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:33 AM »
September 20...

Another little kayak trip, this time out of Ford Cove. My goal is to paddle to Norris Rocks, a series of outcroppings at the very southern tip of the Island. It's a good place to find unusual seabirds...

...But it's right outside Ford Cove that I meet one of the birds I had hoped to see.
At first I thought this was a young Pigeon Guillemot... but the profile is all wrong, too squat; and the beak is way too small.

A Marbled Murrelet!  :eclove
3:22 pm

There's a whole mystique about Marbled Murrelets on the coast. Such an unassuming little bird, even more so in its breeding plumage, which is mottled brown and makes it almost invisible. Yet it was a mystery for the longest time: until the mid-1970s, nobody had ever, ever found its nest.

The discovery made it an icon of the environmental protection movement: Marbled Murrelets nest high up in old-growth trees, on thick branches covered in moss, sometimes miles and miles from the ocean. So the Murrelets depend on intact rainforest and clean oceans to survive. They remind us of how precious and irreplaceable those ecosystems are.

Here's another view. This bird is about the size of a pigeon. He's an alcid, a cousin of the Guillemots and Murres and Puffins.
3:22 pm

Here's a young Pigeon Guillemot I saw later on the same day, for comparison. The two birds are roughly the same size, but the Guillemot has a longer neck and a larger beak.
Heron Rocks, 4:22 pm

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #551 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:33 AM »
so very interesting wren and how lucky you were to be able to join them!  and moreover how mind bogling to  be able to understand and remember all that - you definitely have a scientis mind
Thank you for this and your wonderful photos.

Offline birdsofprey

« Reply #552 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:49 AM »
 :thumbup: beautiful photos thanks for sharing :ecsmile

Offline gzebear

« Reply #553 on: October 05, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
Wren, I thought of you on our trip to the outer islands here a few days ago ... all the birds we saw, you would have enjoyed it. I only have a small camera so pictures were fuzzy but with binoculars we could see them well - Black Guillemots, Red-Necked Grebe, eiders by the dozens, Great and Double-Crested Cormorants, lots of loons, eagles, many others, even a Peregrine Falcon ... I love seeing your photos, the birds you have that we don't, the ones that are similar but different. Wonderful ... thanks for sharing your experiences and your knowledge. So much to learn! I just love the eyes of the guillemots. :nod2

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #554 on: October 08, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »

Flocks of these sweeties arrive to eat my nyjer seed & black oil sunflower seeds, & to bathe in & drink my water.
Here is one in the lineup for the feeder.

august 19 2011 11:51 - Pine Siskin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/8067137908/#
wooohoooo!