Author Topic: Ground Observations - 2011-2012 the Hali Season  (Read 555499 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Ground Observations - 2011-2012 Season
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Booni, that's a wonderful series of photo with Mom and Dad!   :heart  It's so nice to see them back and safe.
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:52 AM »
Booni & Wrennie - as always I am soooo grateful for your pics and obs - just wondering - is it me or do you think Mom is starting to show her age?  No matter - it warms my heart to see and hear them again - and looking well fed! :nod2

Offline nubchai

« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
These pictures are great.  I love the one of Mom and Dad in the tree.  You can always tell Mom.  She's got that ruffled head feather look going :)  And I also love Wren's pic of Mom in flight !

Offline birdsofprey

« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
Thanks so much for all the excellent pictures of Mom and Dad, and what appears to have been Hope. Thanks also for all the ground reports  :thumbup:

Offline ivani

« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
what wonderful pictures! Thank you Bonnie and Wren :heart.
 I am so happy to see the couple again .... :ecsmile
iff, ivani

Offline leecan

« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »
 :eclove
thank you so so so much, I missed mom and dad so far in the nest so this
was truly wonderful to see the pics, you do a wonderful sharing loving job of these pictures to us, thank you with all my heart

sharen

Offline bruner

« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
Booni:

Thanks for the amazing photos of Mom & Dad Hornby that you captured recently!  Boy, you sure are a talented lady!   :thumbup:

bruner   

Offline jp1933

« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
:clap :ty

Hello everyone - I teach in WI and have been watching the nest for 3 years and am ready to begin the second year with adding this beautiful wonder with my students.  I can't wait to show pictures to my class tomorrow.  Thanks.  Jacx

Offline mamalion

« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
Absolutely stunning photos..... thank you for sharing these with us...  Booni and Winterwren they are incredible! :s* :grouphug2

Offline SpyderLady

« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »
The photos of Mom and Dad are wonderful to see.  Mom somehow looks a little worse for wear but Dad looks plump.  Mom always looks a little bit like she's had a rough day though.  The important thing is they are together and we are getting to see them.  I'm going to be thankful for all the good things, and of course, Booni and Wren's pics are as good as it gets!  Thank you....both of you! :thumbup:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:53:47 AM by NancyM »

Offline bruner

« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »
Winterwren -

I missed seeing your photos when I was on the forum recently but found them today.  Thank you so much.  They are remarkable and I will spend hours looking at them and reading all of your comments.

Great job and very much appreciated!   :ty

bruner 

Offline Stokes

« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
Ahh they are soooooo in love! It warms my heart to see Mom and Dad together. Their eyes speak volumes. What a gift that they have returned to us this year. Each day they teach us, live each day fully. Let go of the past, the future is not here yet. All we have is right now. We are all apart of this mystery. I am so deeply honored.

Thank you for these photos, like windows we not only look through, but enter.

Flood

Offline ccfan

« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
Ahh they are soooooo in love! It warms my heart to see Mom and Dad together. Their eyes speak volumes. What a gift that they have returned to us this year. Each day they teach us, live each day fully. Let go of the past, the future is not here yet. All we have is right now. We are all apart of this mystery. I am so deeply honored.

Thank you for these photos, like windows we not only look through, but enter.

Flood

WELL SAID! :s*
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
Yes, they're in loooooove!!!  :heart

Ok, so this sequence of photos is an excercise in bush divination.

Which means that the photos will make no sense at all except as part of a narrative of sounds and half-sights and educated guesses.

At 1 pm today, I was watching the cam and Mom and Dad were being very vocal.
Then I heard the calls fading, getting further away - and at the same getting louder...  :puzzled2 That was a very strange sensation.
Very loud... Hey, that sound doesn't come from my speakers!
It took me a few instants to realise that the calls now came from my yard!  :eceek

I dashed out with my camera...
My yard is surrounded by tall trees, mostly Douglas firs. For a while I wandered around, seeing and hearing nothing. Then a loud seagull call gave away the source of the sound.
This is what I saw. 1:06pm

One tail. If you click on the picture you can see more bits of an eagle, but not much. I moved around, trying to get a better angle, but nothing doing. Meanwhile it got very noisy, and suddenly there were...

Two tails.

In all the noise I managed to take a short video clip, which I will post later. I don't think I heard the "happy trills" of actual mating in there - they are not on the video - and anyway the tails are not touching. But they're sure nice and close, and those eagles sure sounded excited.

1:08. The top eagle flies off, and disappears toward the nest.

:investigate2  Hey!!! That looks like Mom! Look at the looong middle toes on the last picture, and her face here, and the pattern of new feathers on the wing!

Uh, ok. They weren't mating, then, not yet!  :eclol

1:09. The other eagle flies off. Has to be Dad. You sure don't see much of him.

And a minute later, the cam watchers DID hear happy trills!

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
It is likely imho that they mated just prior to your photos maybe?? It doesn't take long.

How lovely they came & visited your surroundings. :heart