HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 19, 2018, 06:44:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion of Nest Observations October 2011  (Read 15511 times)
passerine
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »

This is the new nest topic for the return of Mom & Dad Hornby. Should be around the beginning of October 2011.

Link to Hornby Eagle Cam cam: http://www.wildearth.tv/hornby-island-eagle-cam  

The White-bellied Sea Eagles & chat page: http://www.hornbyeagles.com/seaeaglecam.htm

Note: Screencaps and video of the nest and eagles taken through the webcam  starting October 2011 cannot be posted without written permission from Doug Carrick.
beans
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »

When we first saw the Hornby Eagles, we were amazed that we could see right into a nest!  Soon our curiosity became a passion, not only for them, but for all wildlife.  We learned how beautiful, intelligent, fragile, and vulnerable they are.

Phoenix and Dad May 15, 2010

I would like to begin our Hornby Eagles discussion with a quote from Henry Beston, The Outermost House

"We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion.

We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.

They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."

Jean, California
mojita

« Post / Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:42 PM »

Passerine, am I reading correctly when you say that the eagle cam...the one of Mom and Dad Hornby....will be shown at another site around the beginning of October when the eagles return? pray
passerine
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »

That's the rumor mojita, through Wild Earth & Hancock the stream will be back on. Time will tell. smile The link isn't working for me right now but there is probably technical stuff to work out.
hoquiam

« Post / Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »

Passerine -thanks so much for the info on the new site  hopefully it will be up and running upon Ma& Pa Hornby's return. I 'll be watching...... thumbup

Hoquiam
passerine
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »

you welcome...Mom/Mum & Dad we call them. smile Ma & Pa seem to refer more to the Sidney parents.
mojita

« Post / Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

Yes, Passerine.  Thank you so very much for the info.  I do hope the cam is up and running so we can watch it when Mom and Dad return. pray
dixidoo

« Post / Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 06:21:03 AM »

Hello, lovies!!  I just poked around in the forum and am absolutely delirious to find evidence of a nest cam & chat once again at Hornby??  Can it be so??

I also saw some very very beautiful Booni pictures that I hadn't seen before -- funny crows, too!  Booni, I especially love the Aug.11 (?) 2011 picture of a calm, still David sitting with his head slightly cocked to the side.  His adorable face SO reminiscent of his sweetfaced close-ups of his youth!!  Love that David.. love that Alexandra!

Love you all!!
mammyred2000

« Post / Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »

The news that we may get our cam back is the best news ever.  I so miss watching Mom and Dad Hornby fixing up the nest (nestorations) and the babes toddling and falling over.......can't even describe all the happy and tense feelings that are felt watching that cam.  We have all grown to love our family and their goings on.  I am so thankful for the time I have had with them, and for all the online friends we have all gained through the Hornby chat.  Love to all.
Mammyred (Donna Dee)
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »

Mom and Dad Hornby are back home on Hornby, although they have not yet been seen on the nest.

Booni has posted several pictures, especially of Dad love  and he looks nice and round like he did last year at this time.

Check here for Booni's pictures:  http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=939.0

Here is a great one of Dad:  http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=939.msg77780#msg77780
madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »

I had hoped that we would have some discussion here of Mom and Dad's comings and goings.  I will start the ball rolling with a summary of what I observed during the past week.

Sunday October 16
There is a visit to the nest by Dad shortly after 7 AM.  He hops into the nest again a couple of hours later.  Mom and Dad are seen on Peters’ Tree – they exchange calls and are heard often throughout the day.  
That evening, shortly before 7 PM there is the sound of a landing on the nest or CU – and then Mom finally steps into view and spends a moment inspecting sticks. She goes onto the cam box and Dad steps into cam view.  They both leave after this brief visit.

Monday October 17
Dad pays an evening visit to the nest, shortly before 6 PM. Mom remained in Peters’ Tree during that visit. Later Dad hops to CU cam box and then flies off.

Tuesday October 18

It was a foggy day.  Mid-morning Mom and Dad were both spotted in the Peters’ Tree.

Wednesday October 19
Both Mom and Dad were observed during the day – on a rock on the beach, in the Babysitting Tree and in the Peters’ Tree.

Thursday October 20
Shortly before 10 AM Dad lands in the nest and begins digging around and moving nesting material around.  The cam was on the CU view so going by the sounds, there was a landing on CU cam box – Mom?  A few minutes later a departure from the cam box is heard, followed by trills.  An eagle is seen on the Peters’ Tree.

At 1:02 -  winterwren reported hearing trills over her yard.  She documents what she witnessed with photos and narrative   HERE.  Shortly after this, loud and happy trills were heard by cam watchers!
An hour or so later it sounded like someone left cam box – maybe having been there for quite a while.

Friday October 21
Dad is seen in the Peters’ Tree shortly before 9 AM.  Twenty minutes later Mom flies into the nest with a good sized fish that looked to be pretty much whole.  It didn’t take her long to finish eating it.  She feaked on the runway branch and flew off by 9:30 AM.  

Mid-afternoon both Mom and Dad are seen in the nest, but they soon disappear out of sight (CU cam view only available).  Half an hour later it sounds as though someone might still be there.   Almost an hour later, someone flew off the CU towards the Peters’ tree.

Saturday October 22
Dad makes a 3-minute visit to the nest around 9:40 AM.
Cam is off for a while late morning/early afternoon, but shortly after it begins streaming again at 1:05 PM an eagle (Mom) is heard and seen flying off the cam box and over to the right and Dad remains at right edge of nest. He is in and out of sight for some time as he moves back and forth on the nest.  At 1:15 PM he is in front of cam for a while, with his back towards it but then after a little while he steps to the right, disappears off camera (CU view still).  His shadow is seen in nest, and he is heard calling.  Twenty minutes later, he makes another call from cam box, and faint sounds of movement continue for some time.

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams
amyam

« Post / Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »

Madrona
Thank you for the narrative of the 'beginnings of new Hornby nest season'.  Tying in what our devoted ladies Booni and Wren, are doing on the ground with nest observations make for a clearer picture of what M&D are doing, how they may be interracting with other eagles on the scene.  I can't be the only one who sees this:  There's just this effusive energy here that grows and grows with more knowledge, more questions, more love, thank you so very much.  The story continues!
Aloha,
Amy
madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »

You are welcome Amy  love

I love it when Booni and Wren write about things that give us an off-nestcam description of what's going on.

Their second week of nest visits, since their return, started with a familiar sight and sound.  Dad arrived, panting, with a good-sized clump of grass yesterday.  He fussed with it for a bit, but left after 15 minutes.  Mom came in later in the day and checked it out - and rearranged it, of course!

ETA:  Check out 10:00 AM and 11:25 AM of WE archives to see these two events on video!

madrona
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »

Around midday nest time the camera was turned off.  cry  Sorry folks - it looks as though the last twelve days are all we had to view Mom and Dad on camera.  But their daily life continues, and we can just close our eyes and picture them making their nest visits.  And, of course, we will still have boonibarb's and winterwren's fabulous videos and observations.

Today Dad made another morning visit with some grass and moved nesting material around.  He soon disappeared off cam to the right, then hopping to CU before flying off.  There was an eagle noted on Peters’ Tree during this visit.  Then half an hour later Mom flies in but she soon stepped out of sight to right side of nest.  

Visit October 24 WE archives for 9:16 AM and 9:56 to see these two visits.   love

Bhrighde

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »

I was so sad yesterday when the webcam was turned off for good (again... enough said).

Then I came here this morning and was so happy to see you are still doing the ground observations.  I'm so grateful that you are all still here and we have the wonderful photos and even videos.

Thank you so much.! smile

"Do the best that you can in the place where you are, and be kind."
- Scott Nearing, American Conservationist (1883-1983)
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently