HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
August 18, 2017, 06:52:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre (Salt Spring Island, BC)  (Read 35228 times)
boonibarb
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« on: August 15, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »

Salt Spring Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre  is the wonderful Centre where the rescued Hornby Seal Pup was taken!

Main page for Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre
http://sealrescue.org/

Their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/sealrescue

Here is the start of the story:

Yesterday evening i got a Wildlife Concerns call about a Seal pup that was seen on Whaling Station Bay.
People were worried he was coming to them & asking for food.
So i went to check him out, after speaking to Reg at MARS & getting some great tips about what to look for.
Thanks Reg! & the intern at MARS!
i loaded up our two sizes of kennels & some gloves & towels for capture & went to find him.
i was warned that Seals have zoonosis, diseases that are communicable to people.
So if i needed to handle him, i needed to do so with rubber or disposable or sterilizeable gloves.
i also had to have leather gloves, as they will try to bite.
i was also told that the mother Seal leaves her pup on shore all day while she goes out to fish.
She returns twice a day at high tide to feed him, & that the mother*s milk is super nutritious & what the pup needs at this stage.

i went to the described place, & found him no problem.
i looked for what Reg told me to look for -
- mucous discharge at the nose, coughing or sneezing, dry eyes or rather the ring around the eyes, which is something new i learned, visible hip bones near the tail & wrinkles on the body indicating starvation & dehydration.
For the pup*s age, i was to look for signs of an umbilicus, & a layer on them called a lanugo, a sort of furry layer that they are born with.
To me the youngster looked just fine, so i left him there & returned home for my camera, which i*d forgotten!  lumphammer
In the process, i also picked up wren!
We went back to have another look, cameras in hand.
We found someone watching the pup from higher up on the rock.
She said the pup approached her while she was kayaking.
She also said she saw the mother with the pup, a couple of days ago.
We told her what we had learned from Reg, & we exchanged phone numbers.
i have sent these fotos to MARS, & will wait to hear back about what they think.

The face of the Seal pup & the visible *wet ring* area around the eyes.

The tail flipper area where the hip bones are to be looked for.

Wrinkles, dunno if this is what we are to look for as a sign of dehydration?

i thought this youngster looked quite plump, but from this angle, looking along his whole back from head to tail, i am not so sure.

Here he is from nose to flipper tail.
He looks good, but i am anxious to hear what people who know waaayyyy more than i do say.

wooohoooo!
blackster1

United States United States

« Post / Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:31 AM »

Thanks for the photos and information on the seals.  We have lots of new seal pups in our bay and they follow us when we are standup paddleboarding.  it is nice to have information on what to look for if there are health problems.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »

We captured the little seal pup around 10:30 this morning.

He is now resting in a big plastic tote with air going through. At Maj's advice I feel his skin temperature from time to time - quickly, and taking care to keep out of reach of his bite - and move him from shade to sun as needed. Maj said he has no fat reserves and needs to be kept warm, but not overheated.

Maj had a conversation with Marielle from Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre on Saltspring Island, where this little one is headed. Here is the new information she got:

The info that the mother parks her seal pup and only returns twice a day is not accurate. The mother should return often. The seal pup should be left alone so the mom can return without fear.

We had been told that a seal pup who calls out is like an eaglet who screeps: part of normal behaviour, but Marielle says a pup who is calling is a pup in distress. Note that we did not hear that pup call, except when I caught him. He made snarling sounds when I examined him yesterday - a very legitimate sound I thought.

This seal pup was seen with a grownup seal two days ago, but this seal was not necessarily his mom. It takes more than two days to go from the full torpedo shape of a healthy pup to how skinny this little on is. Maj and Marielle are speculating that maybe the mother died, and this pup is trying to get anyone - another seal, a passing kayak - to feed him. (This pup was seen following a kayak and tapping on the stern of it, and that is not mere curiosity as I had thought.) The other seal might try to chase this pup away, even biting him. (I'm not seeing any sign of physical injury, though.)

Hungry seal pups will even try to nurse on rocks sometimes.

That's about all I have for now.

We're likely to move this posting and the preceding one to a new thread on Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation... stay tuned.

NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »

12:40 PM - the sounds of Norm's rescue helicopter could be heard over the web cam.  A great cheer went up in the chat room for booni, wren, Norm, Maj  = HEART of Hornby.

Thank you!
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »

(((((((Booni and Wren)))))))))

My only thought now is to hug you. To you and all people of good character, my heart is forever thankful for yours.

heartssmiles

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »

1:10 PM - helicopter heard leaving ...
Stokes

« Post / Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »

Great rescue for this seal pup! Thanks for the updates and photos. Was so great to hear Norm's helicopter landing and taking off. Thank you Wren and Booni for all the work you do!
Stokes

« Post / Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »

Here's the seal pup rescue gallery from Salt Spring (where this pup is heading):

***Warning****
a couple of the photos may be disturbing to some viewers
due to the injuries some of the rescues come in with.

http://sealrescue.org/photos.html#num=content-73&id=album-9

Main page for Island Wildlife Natural Care Centre
http://sealrescue.org/
ccfan

« Post / Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

Booni,
You and Wren are sooooooooooooo amazing!!!!!!!!!

There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

love Booni and Wren you two are Angels  thumbup
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »

Booni, it's wonderful to know that the rescued seal pup is in good hands and receiving the care it needs.  Thank you and Wren for your part in making sure that the little one has a chance at surviving!   heart

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
beans
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »

Many thanks to booni & winterwren.  You have to be extremely careful when working with wildlife.  The animals are terrified of people, whom they see as predators.  So they defend themselves.

Jean, California
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »

Booni and Wren, you both are special wildlife angels!   thumbup   heart

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
hairchoppr

« Post / Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:09:41 AM »

WOW Incredible to look at the photos of the seals. Thanks for posting.
suzy

« Post / Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:22 AM »

Photo's are shocking what some of the pups have gone thru in such a short life. Good Luck and God Bless to all who are such caretakers of this planet earth.
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently