Author Topic: Fishing Line  (Read 41376 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Fishing Line
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »
With the entanglement of the Sidney/Saanich eaglet, known line in the nest and the publicity its getting, what can be done?

Can the Canadian Enviornmentalists get something going re: regular cleanup of fishing line?
We know line will get free, snagged, etc. There is no way to stop that happening by accident. So what could be done? 

Put your thoughts together on this to "think out of the box" and come up with some solutions.

Regular shoreline cleanups? Could there be such a thing as line that dissolves/breaks down after a length of time?
beth
from California

Offline Mary Jane

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
    • HarmanArt
Re: Fishing Line
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
Anyone who has ever fished knows a line can be broken and lost.  I don't know that there is a solution to that part of the equation.  To me the answer seems to lie in awareness and action.   Educate the public on the dangers of fishing line, plastics, and all kinds of garbage that people either leave, or see and think - it's not my problem, I didn't do it.  If we could get people, and a good start is with children, to pick up and dispose of anything that does not belong there, it would be an ongoing clean-up.  It is possible to do, look at the strides that have been made with pet owners "curb your dog" campaigns - and how many people do clean-up after their dogs now.  If we can expand this to include all garbage - especially the plastics and line - it would be such a tremendous step forward.

Wouldn't it be great to have Flyer as the "Poster Eaglet" promoting picking up fishing line that is found?  Is it possible to start such a campaign? 

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »
MJ I think that would be up to HWF to use Flyer as a campaign, great idea.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »
One thing we can do is increase awareness of the danger of fishing line, along with plastics and other man made debris.

Mr emc thought of putting up posters in places near beaches and rivers and lakes, reminding people to look for these items and remove them.
Like Smoky the Bear, only you can prevent forest fires.

Only you can prevent.....  ( what? Needless suffering...)
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
If we could at least get these ideas flowing and spread to the  media. While this subject is hot, we might be able to be effective.
beth
from California

Offline Mary Jane

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
    • HarmanArt
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
I mentioned the idea of a "Flyer Poster Eaglet" on the Ustream chat during the rescue.  Quite a few of the HWF people were there and commented that they thought it was a good idea.  I hope they will follow-up on it, but you are right Nancy - we could not do it, all the videos, screencaps etc are all under HWF copyright.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
We could still create some posters using pictures of line causing birds problems and perhaps plastic also causing suffering.  There are plenty of examples of both and we would just need to choose and then contact whoever has the copyright to ask permission to use their image for this wonderful assist for wildlife. I'm sure we could find some people willing .  :biggrin6

Come up with the slogan :

" Only you can prevent needless suffering"   Pick up and dispose of plastic and fishing line.

Just a possibility.  Need more ideas ...
beth
from California

Offline Gasp62

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 02:09:04 AM »
I am a fisherperson, been since I was small.  Just recently have I discovered the consequence of "fishing line" can be!!!!!  I think posters with pictures would help!  If the pics are copywrited-get permission!!  Spread the word!!  If they care about copy writes----let them join in and use the pics as if it was their idea!!

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Slogan for posters:  MIND YOUR LINE

with info as you have already been mentioning
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Luv, I love "Mind Your Line." Good one IMO. :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »
"Mind your Line"  sounds good to me too .

Anyone find some images to consider?
beth
from California

Offline Kristy

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Hello,

Once a poster is finalized, I would be more than happy to volunteer to put them up. I am a teacher at a school right on the shore line in Vancouver and I know my students would be happy to help if needed too. I also have access to a busy Marina where they would been seen by many.
My question is, is there any legalities that are out there that is needed to post flyers in public?

If you need volunteers, I am in, please just let me know!

:heart
A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a song.  ~Chinese Proverb

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »
Thanks for volunteering to post :thumbup:

We'll have to look into how/where they can be posted.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »
May I suggest "Mind Your Line" to International Bird Rescue Research Center, too?  We are always trying to get people to pick up fishing line.  We've had so many seabirds wrapped in line.  Many swallowed hooks, which our vet retrieved during surgery.  Heck, we had a Great Blue Heron two years in a row!  (we banded him the first year)

GBH in rehab

GBH released into Suisun Marsh
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:21:34 AM »
Beans, do you think they might want to work on this with us?  I think they have images that would be effective.
beth
from California