Author Topic: Don't use poisons  (Read 32110 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Don't use poisons
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:32:06 PM »
This is a simple, but very effective, way to help out wildlife.

Don't use snail bait, pesticides, or rodenticides.  The reasons for not using them are posted in our Forum, here:  Wildcare

Just Say No

Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Don't use poisons
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
It would be good if we can post some other ways to handle pests in our yards.
beth
from California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:59 PM »
To keep slugs and snails off my dwarf citrus, I loosely wrap some copper tape around the trunk.  They will not cross the tape.

You can purchase it here:  Gardener's Supply
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:05 AM »
Some years ago I abandoned those yellow sticky traps for aphid, fungus gnat, and whitefly.  Butterflies and bees can get caught.  And the saddest thing of all is to see a tiny bird stuck to the trap. 
Jean, California

Offline gzebear

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:42:40 AM »
I'm so glad to see this topic started. So many people have developed little secrets for non-poisonous pest control. Great place to share them.

Most of us probably know about slugs and their passion for beer. Works like a charm - just put out a saucer of beer in the garden and the slugs will party hearty on something besides your plants.

I also found a great way to control fruit flies in my kitchen. I put a peach pit or some other piece of yummy-to-a-fruitfly scrap in a paper cup, cover it with a piece of plastic wrap or clear plastic bag, securing it with an elastic, then poking a few small holes in the plastic with a toothpick. The fruit flies go for it and can get in but can't get out. Hence, no fruit flies hovering around my fruit bowl. When I have them all inside, I invite them to my wildlife feeding station (compost bin) and wish them well. They'll stay gone for several days. Then more appear for a taste of fresh peach pit.

My motto: "Poison anything and you poison everything." That's it. No exceptions.

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
I'm so glad to see this topic started. So many people have developed little secrets for non-poisonous pest control. Great place to share them.

<<snip>>

My motto: "Poison anything and you poison everything." That's it. No exceptions.

So true.
 At a local feed store i get bags of crushed oyster shells, sprinkle them around my plants. Slugs won't go over them as they're sharp  a lot on different crawlies won't go over them either.

Cayenne pepper along door sills will help keep ants out, it also works good to sprinkle on your garbage if the dog likes to get into.

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
GREAT topic!  I have also used cinnamon along a doorframe to keep ants out.

A good garden spray for weeds is diluted white vinegar: one part water to one part vinegar.  Some of the really resistant ones might need full-strength or even concentrated white vinegar, but I find that I can control even these by spraying them again in a week or so.
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline gzebear

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
I have for maybe thirty years sprinkled cream of tartar across the threshold of my back door every spring to keep the earwigs and ants out. I guess they don't like to cross over it. Seems to work because if I forget, they soon remind me!

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
What good suggestions these are!  

Here's more on the sticky traps, posted in the Lindsay Wildlife Museum thread in our Forum:  Don't Use Sticky Traps!

warning:  I have included a picture of bird feathers stuck to a sticky trap.   :sad  The picture and article are from a Lindsay email update I received this afternoon.
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
We have never used that kind of sticky trap for insects.  However, we had some mice in our garage a few years ago and tried the sticky traps that are made for that purpose.  They worked well, but we also got 2 lizards. :sad
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
I have some spider mites on a fuchsia and plumeria.  I have never gotten the fuchsia free of them, and have tried numerous things over the years.  The plumeria tree starts out each spring with spider mites, after some ladybugs are brought in, the new leaves come in fine.  Perhaps I am not waiting long enough this year, but after the ladybugs, there still seems to have spider mites.
I looked up natural treatments for spider mites.  One of them, I'm trying. Lemon juice sprayed on the leaves, especially the underside.  The recipe is  2 parts lemon juice to 3 parts water.
While I'm trying it, I'm also trying it for white flies.
Here's hoping it works well on both.
beth
from California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
Sounds like an overall fix for door frames & other crevices insects enter through. From our combined suggestions mix together: cinnamon, cayenne & cream of tartar we can maybe outsmart them that way. :eclol

Emc putting a drop of dish soap per quart of spray with your lemon or vinegar water might help. If you repeat every 10 to 14 days for three times you get all their cycles. After the ladybugs leave that is, cause their the best solution.

Soaking mint in oil, then soak up in cotton balls, put by places mice may enter might help deter mice. Or a combination of mint & cayenne.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »
I suggest looking into the uses of Dr Bonner's Castile Soap (peppermint). This soap can be used in hundreds of purposes. It is an insecticide and cleans cement, disintegrates blood and can be used to brush your teeth. It is olive oil base. I love it!

PS. It takes out colors on fabrics went put on for long periods of time.
 :heart

http://www.target.com/Dr-Bronners-Pure-Castile-Soap/dp/B00120VWJ0
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
I like the lavender soap, too!
Jean, California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »

Towards the end of this video, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CIIkMDWKA0&feature=youtube_gdata_player) there is a claim of biological pesticide for rats being used in Israel. So I have been trying to find out what they are using. From my research so far, it looks like a combination of Barn Owls for night control and Kestrels for day control. 
Wonder if adding barn owls to the current day time raptors,and nest boxes for the owls would be an answer for New York and other large cities with the problem. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/grrlscientist/2012/feb/09/1

http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Arts/Article.aspx?id=240450

I also found a research paper dated  Feb 2012 re: Spinosad , but a lot of it was over my head, so don't know if this is a possibility. 
http://www.academicjournals.org/ajpp/PDF/pdf2012/29%20Feb/Aboul-Enein%20et%20al.pdf
beth
from California