HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
August 22, 2017, 09:26:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nest Brigantine - eaglet Brig  (Read 65004 times)
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »

Booni,

Those are great pictures...Nice catures of the eagles and I luv the contrast between the water and the shore...so colorful.  The bird is beautifully colored.  Have you found out what species it is?  Please let us know!   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »

ajl says the bird is a Western Tanager!
My birding friends oooh*d & aaahhh*d when i told them i*d seen one yesterday!  mhihi

wooohoooo!
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »

Yesterday when i biked there with Dooki to observe the Brigantine Nest, the eaglets were not in their nest.
i found an eaglet calling in a nearby perch tree, so one has fledged.
i was walking around, looking for the second one, when i nearly stepped on him standing right there in the field!!
So, another eaglet on the ground.
i called MARS & ajl, & they said wait & watch.
i went over again after work to see how they were doing, & they were perched in the woods, with the nieighbours taking fotos of her.
i called MARS & ajl again, & they said YOU capture this eaglet booni.  eek!
So, Doug & Sheila came with me, & this is what happened.
There is a young man working there, that i believe has befriended the eaglet.
He is the one capturing the eaglet.
Look at this gentle capture.

Click here for Doug*s video footage hotspot of the eaglet capture.

wooohoooo!
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 06:37:46 AM »

The helicopter pilot, who volunteers on behalf of MARS to transport wildlife, will land on Hornby Island at Grassy point this morning (Tuesday, July 27). He will pick up the Brigantine eaglet that Booni, Doug and Winterwren assisted on Monday (with Ajl on the phone to MARS and Hornby and in the chat room).

Chat room participants and other viewers took part in a real-life drama centered around the rescue of the pre-fledge eaglet who is estimated to be about 12-weeks old.

Booni has photos and will share them here on the forum.  Doug is going to film the helicopter part of this on-going story and will show the video to people in the chat room...time to be announced.

Stay tuned for the next steps in how this effort unfolds.  Joyofdogs, one of our Hornby chat room regulars, is serving as a volunteer at MARS and plans to go there today...our on-the-spot reporter!!!   smile
This second eaglet to require such an involved set of arrangements to transfer him/her safely to MARS, will join "Niner" at MARS as he continues to receive excellent rehabilitation care.

ETA:  Two people in the chat room said they were told that the helicopter will arrive around 10:10 AM (PDT) this morning to pick up the Brigantine eaglet.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »

Booni, thank you for the update on this eaglet and the link to Doug's video. 

I noticed s/he did not put up much resistance to capture - was it the same or different with Niner? I wonder if it is the age or if the eaglet was weak?
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »

Thank you Booni and Wren and Doug and Sheila and of course Ajl. If the eaglet has a chance it has been given to him by you all. I would suspect that not resisting is because he needs help. IMO only. You all are a blessing to wildlife and this world!  heart

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
bruner

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »

What an amazing and gentle rescue of the Brigantine eaglet.  The young man, not sure who he is, but please thank him for me and I'm sure for all of us.   And of course it goes without saying to booni, doug & sheila, winterwren, ajl and I'm sure there's more involved...the chopper pilot, Maj....to all of you, thank you.

When this is all over for the season, you will need a vacation.  This must be extremely stressful.

"bruner"

luvthebirds
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

smile cry  thank you booni, and everyone involved in helping this eaglet. heart

Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)
sheryl b

« Post / Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »

WHAT A GENTILE MAN, THE RESCUE OF THE EAGLETT. THANK YOU  VIDEO....I KNOW IT MAY BE STRESSFULL AT TIMES, BUT REWARDING AS WELL. BLESS ALL INVOLVED INTHE RESUE OF THESE BEAITIFUL BIRDS. IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER, THAT IS WHAT I WOULD WANT TO DO IN LIFE....
THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU.
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »

Doug filmed the helicopter pilot when he came to Hornby Island to pick up the eaglet. He then showed the video over the cam broadcast stream - here is a link to the hotspot  (parts are very loud and parts are soft, so adjust your speakers accordingly).

Thank you to sparkie for setting the hotspots.

Part 1 shows nearly the entire video (starts about 20 seconds in):
Helicopter pilot receives eaglet for transport

Part 2 shows what happened after the helicopter took off - we could hear Mom Hornby while this was happening live, and the folks on the ground saw her!!
Helicopter takes off and Mom Hornby flies past.
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »

What an amazing and gentle rescue of the Brigantine eaglet.  The young man, not sure who he is, but please thank him for me and I'm sure for all of us.   And of course it goes without saying to booni, doug & sheila, winterwren, ajl and I'm sure there's more involved...the chopper pilot, Maj....to all of you, thank you.

When this is all over for the season, you will need a vacation.  This must be extremely stressful.

"bruner"

Bruner, Jason is the name of the young man who walked up the branch and gently retrieved lil Brig, the eaglet that was stranded and couldn't get back up and into Nest Brigantine.  

We all were so happy to see how caring and carefully he did what could have been a very difficult and dangerous task.  

NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »

AJL has posted an update on "Little Brig" in the forum thread for Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society.
I am taking the liberty of quoting part of her post here as well:

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=248.msg20358#msg20358

Initial examination showed the eaglet (believed to be female) to be heavily infested with ectoparasites. Her weight is low. She has been treated for dehydration and parasites and will continue to undergo evaluation.  

BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »

Jason, thank you for picking up the eaglet.  Boonie, Doug, Sheila and wren, you must have been relieved to see that the eaglet didn't put up to much of a protest.  Thank you Maj for the report on the eaglet's condition

Kudos to all involved  clap

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
Circle of Life

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »

OMG, the video of Jason rescuing the eaglet brought tears to my eyes. He was so gentle, but the eaglet obviously knew he was there to help her.  She was as gentle with him as he was with her.  Thank you to all who helped in her rescue.   heart
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »

Booni, thank you for the update on this eaglet and the link to Doug's video. 

I noticed s/he did not put up much resistance to capture - was it the same or different with Niner? I wonder if it is the age or if the eaglet was weak?

NancyM, i believe the eaglet was weak.
The Nest #9 eaglet put up more of a struggle, in that they tried to escape, & had their wings extended, making capture & control of them a bit more difficult.
With the Brigantine eaglet, the young man had been feeding her by hand, & she was used to him capturing her & placing her on a high stump above ground level for safety.
So, i think she was used to him, & she was also just too weak to resist.

wooohoooo!
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently