Author Topic: 2010 Nesting Season Highlights  (Read 37134 times)

Offline Trixie in Ontario

Re: 2010 Nesting Season Highlights
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
Thank you, barberella.  As I was watching the "viewer" numbers climb during Phoenix's recovery, I marvelled that there were at least 2,600 people who would be melancholy and likely a little placid from the grief.  Feathers less likely to be ruffled that day, just because of Phoenix (maybe pun intended?).  Tighter hugs, smiles, maybe manners and lower voices?  Phenomenal really.

For all the devastation, I don't think there could have been a better end scene.  The longing for Phoenix to move dammit, hearing the voices and ladders, waiting, listening.  Seeing the perfection that was the very brave, best of humans, Dan Hamilton, his tenderness and trepidation and his brilliant wave to us, the receiving of Phoenix's body by the Hornby Island Nest elders, the post-recovery story of the climb and the picture of Dan in the trees with a face that spoke to everyone about what was being experienced, the moving of heaven and earth for a 76-day-old eaglet.

Seeing pictures of Mom and Dad Hornby helps today, and posts by Doug and others closest to the heartbreak.  I like to think thoughts about the minor celebrity that Dan, and the MARS group, has become.  How he will forever have a grand story to tell.  I wonder how many times he'll tell it.

And even today, the preliminary cause resting most assured that there was nothing that could have been done, nothing that we need second-guess ourselves about.  It helps to know that the end of the life of Phoenix was about as glorious as an end of life could be.  We know how special her life was and how special could be the effect of her death amongst the secret society of Phoenix.
Guest.

Offline Mishka

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
Wonderful collection!!  Thank you so much for the time and love that went into this.

Online boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 05:47:14 AM »

Thank you SO MUCH for doing this!!
It looks FANTASTIC!!
What a treasure chest, to go through at this time.
wooohoooo!

Offline lookylo

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 06:08:42 AM »
lovely tribute to Phoenix in pictures.  Thank you for all your work. :heart
Just say yes!

Offline grandma

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 06:39:45 AM »
This is my first posting, and I like many, started watching Phoenix shortly after she was born, and had no idea how hooked I would get on the site.  I checked the site several times a day and sometimes just sat there and watched the interaction as if in a trance.  It was such an amazing gift to be a part of their lives.  When I didn't see her in the nest the next day, my first thought, was that somehow I had missed her first flight, so starting searching frantically to see what and when that had happened.  I was so shocked to learn that we had lost her.  I had no idea how much I could cry over a bird that I had never physically seen, but felt as if she were part of my life.  I, too, thank everyone of you who keep the site going and all the wonderful comments that are made.  I keep thinking if I look close enough she will still be there.

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »
Thank you   so much . This  is  truly a fantastic collection  of  the highlights  for the  year. Thank you  for going to  all this  trouble  ((((((Rajame))))) and  ((((((emc)))))  Its a wonderful  collection  off a lot of  talent  and dedication from all  concerned

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
Thank you for all your kudos to emc and me!  :heart

We were so dedicated to getting it to you for sure. Many hours and tears and cheers.

Hugs to all,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »
Thank you , it was truly a labor of love.  ( OH, at times we'd have to console each other, "what do you mean, cut more pictures out", NO... I can't do it, and the other one of us would be able to. :) )
beth
from California

Offline ravenwing4

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
Thank you for the beautiful tribute to Phoenix and Ma and Pa Hornby.  The pictures were beautiful!  It was a wonderful memorial for Phoenix.

Phoenix was not with us long but she taught us so much.  :eclove  ((Hugs)) to all.  Phoenix will be remembered with love by all of us who knew her.  She was a wonderful, beautiful bird.  She is now free to fly as close to the sun as she wants and never has to worry about her wings melting.

Ravenwing4   :nod2

Offline Circle of Life

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
Thank you so much for these pictures!  I didn't start watching the nest until Phoenix was a few days old (a friend sent me the link), so I missed seeing Mom and Dad readying the nest, incubating Phoenix and Dudley, and Phoe's entrance into the world.

The picture of Mom and Dad Hornby in the nest with the heart between them, and another heart in the sky gave me goosebumps.  What a 'once in a lifetime' picture!  Worthy of framing I would say.

Thank you again - your love of Phoenix and her parents is evident in every frame you included.  :heart

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
Thank you everyone. emc and I cannot tell you how happy we are that you have been touched. Please note that there were many contributors, photographers and supporters in this project. Nothing in the world is more pleasing than knowing that you were able to see the two hearts and even more love too.  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline DKF

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am so saddened by her loss.  Watching this is such a gift - to peek into a world I would otherwise never see.  I only learned of this link a short time before she passed but feel as if I watched and loved her much longer.  I am surprised at how attached I became to Phoenix and her parents. 

I am a bit concerned - if the cause of Phoenix's death was an infectious disease - where did she catch it and could this affect future eagles? 

I am so thanful to see both Mom and Dad Hornby flying close by.  I believe spirits share this world with us and that Phoenix soars next to her mom and dad.

My heart goes out to the Carrick's and everyone so much more involved - thank you for loving and caring for her.   

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »
DKF:  we're waiting for more results from the necropsy.  Perhaps then, some of these questions can be answered.  We'll post them in the "What Happened to Phoenix" topic.
beth
from California

Offline Trixie in Ontario

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
Tragically, one of the 2010 Nesting Season Highlights for me was Dan Hamilton.  Does the HEG have any follow-up information about him and how he has been recuperating since his brilliant recovery?  I've been to the MARS website and can find no biographical information, though I do realize it is a very busy time and wouldn't expect speedy updates.  Maybe this has been covered somewhere else.  I will never forget Phoenix and I hope for a grand future for brave, beautiful Dan.
Guest.

Offline fk2618

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
Has the eaglet left the nest already?  I was trying to maybe catch it testing its wings in the nest before leaving.  It's been about 2 weeks since I've last viewed the site.  Thanks!