Author Topic: 2010 Nesting Season Highlights  (Read 37200 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: 2010 Nesting Season Highlights
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
Welcome Marjy2u.  So glad you have joined us.  There is a lot to see here, take your time, (we have a few months until Oct. lol ) and enjoy and learn some more. We look forward to the new season with you.
beth
from California

Offline barberella

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
Is it in the  highlights here?
I saw it a couple of days ago when I was looking through the "hot spots" on the Ground Observation thread.  No idea what date.

Phoenix biting mom's leg is seen near the end of Eagle-Lover's "Gone to Soon" video.  I just checked it out.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe1xb1_gone-to-soon_animals

Offline marjy2u

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
Beth ... thanks for the welcome!  I found out about the web cams last Spring from a friend in another (totally unrelated) forum.  She lives in Australia, but she was telling me about something that is practically in my back yard!  =)  Gotta love the internet!

Since I heard this sad news about Phoenix on Friday, I have spent a good part of this weekend reading everything I could find to get more background info, etc., so I felt comfortable enough to post here.  I live so close to Hornby, but had no idea about these live streaming cams.  It's so fascinating!  I was surprised to hear that there was actually a nest and cam right in the city of Vancouver, at the Lafarge concrete plant!  Anyway, thanks again for the welcome, and I look forward to watching more and participating here in future!  :ecsmile

Marj

Offline lawnmowerman

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 08:28:28 PM »
I am truly humbled by the experience of watching and reading the events of the last several months on this site.  I am a tough landscaper that was reduced to tears at the demise of this precious little Phoenix....I am speechless at the great care and concern of all of you here and am encouraged that there are such as you in the world.....you have given me renewed hope....for next year....and all those that come....thank you for all you do..... :nod2

Offline bons

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »
'Gone To Soon' brought back the Tears and the smiles too.
I love you Phoenix.   :heart

The Highlights. Perfect!  Thank You.

All The posts.  Beautifully said.  Thank you.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
Barberella: thank you for finding the video clip. Believe it or not, I occasionally miss something here. Hubby says that can't be possible , I'm always here. Lol

Lawnmowerman:  love your descriptive name.  Welcome to the eagleholics anonymous, we meet daily! Lol
beth
from California

Offline barberella

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »
You're welcome.  :ecsmile 

And I meant "Research Observation", not "Ground O".

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 11:54:09 PM »
well done!  Bravo!
Jean, California

Offline livylou

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 06:09:41 AM »
Hello,   I work with someone who's good friend resides in Vancouver, thus how I got so wrapped up in these eagle's lives & the world of Hornby Island.  I live in Massachusetts and and even though Hornby & the eagles are on the other side of the country, I felt so close to the eagles and the regulars on the chat forum.  I was fortunate enough to actually witness Phoenix hatching and could'nt believe it when I witnessed her take her very last breath.
I want to thank everybody for letting us into the lives of the Hornby eagles. I will keep visiting all the links related to them.

Offline calrob10

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »
What a great tribute to the Eagles and Phoenix.  That little girl stole the hearts of many many people, me being one of them.  PHOENIX PHOREVER
Cheryl

Offline Sharon in Fredericton, NB

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »
I'm with you Bumpy-nite.  I have been watching in awe for three years without writing in.  This tribute is amazing and it still causes a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  I hope Mum and Dad can get over their sorrow and are able to return to a healthy nest next year.  Hopefully, we can all cheer when the new babies take flight and soar to freedom.

Much gratitude and appreciation goes out to the Carricks - keep up the exceptional work - I know this time must be very stressful for you too but please know that thousands of us are in your debt.

Offline Trixie in Ontario

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
Well said, bumpeynite.  Many lurkers are now members, because of Phoenix.  Thank you lawnmowerman, humility and tears for all of us no matter who we are and what our lives have seen.  It was still a blue weekend... why couldn't we have just had our Phoenix fly and be well?  Is that too much to ask in this world gone mad, for this spot of wonderful.  I guess, a 76-day-old eaglet's destiny was to make thousands of people around the world humbler and a little kinder on that day in July.  Thank you Carricks and the HEG, thank you everyone here for your pure hearts and glorious nature.
Guest.

Offline barberella

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
"I guess, a 76-day-old eaglet's destiny was to make thousands of people around the world humbler and a little kinder on that day in July."

Trixie, what a wonderful way of putting our sad event into perspective.  Thank you.  I know Phoenix and her parents gave me a new respect and love for wildlife and nature, especially bald eagles.  It's easy to take these majestic creatures for granted, but now we see how fragile their existence can be.  They work hard raising their offspring, and I feel in my heart that they are as grief-stricken in their own way losing Phoenix as we would be losing a child.

I just hope God gives us the opportunity to experience another darling eaglet or two from Ma and Pa Hornby come the spring.

Offline callmemario

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
Thank you for posting all the photos of the various stages of Phoenix's birth...and unfortunate death.  I had just discovered the Hornby Island Nest Cam just about a month ago and all seemed well.  I would mostly  see Phoenix...I thought Phoenix WAS the mother...I had not been to this forum then.   I really thought "she" Phoenix was getting reading to lay eggs...then just a few days ago...NOTHING!...Where is everyone? I said to myself.  "Mom" decided to go out a bit to stretch?...Hmmm...it's only today that I learned that "Mom" WAS the baby and that he had just passed away.  Life is a bummer sometimes.  I was saddened to learn the news.  :ecsad

Mario
Montreal, Qc.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
oh Mario, what a revelation for you. It's the start of a whole new chapter tho of learning all about the glorious bald eagles. It is such a treat to be able to see them in their nest, doing all things eagle.lol  
Welcome !
beth
from California