Author Topic: 2010 Nesting Season Highlights  (Read 38491 times)

Offline FlowerChild

Re: 2010 Nesting Season Highlights
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
Thank you for such incredible pictures of the beautiful Hornby Eagle Family.  Looking at these make this difficult time a bit easier.
Please keep up the wonderful work that you all do!
 :heart

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
It was an interesting and educational season on the Hornby nest as these screencaptures, photos and videos depict.  We are so fortunate to have a ground crew on Hornby Island to give us a fuller dimension on the eagles' lives.  

Now, our little eaglet has her own storybook to go down in history.  

What a wonderful record of the 2010 season!
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Mountain-gal

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Rajame....Thank you so much for all you did to put together such a lovely memorial of highlighted pictures for us to enjoy!

Bittersweet....Memory lane of our Baby Phoenix! :heart

It was intersting to see that the nesting begins in October and lasts until spring with the eggs...I didn't know that! I'll look forward to Ma & Pa's return.... :pray

Offline deb33

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
Thank you to those who put together this wonderful compilation of the 2009-2010 season. I will often return to these pictures and fondly remember our beautiful Phoenix.
deb33
deb33

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »
This truly is a work of love by many HEG members!  Thank you for making this wonderful scrapbook that we can look at again and again.

Thank you, Doug and Sheila and also Boonibarb, for allowing us to share in the daily lives of our beloved eagles!   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Laurie_lh

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
thought i was done crying, wrong...thank you for putting together such a wonderful rememberence, everyone on this forum is so wonderful... :heart
Dream like you will live forever...Live like you will die tomorrow.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
Mountain Gal, yes, don't wait until Spring to come. We were so privledged to be able to watch them rebuild their nest, squabble over the placement and then move it when the other one left. lol
beth
from California

Offline bumpeynite

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 06:28:12 PM »
I am new to writing about Phoenix...I've been watching in silence...just reveling in the beauty of these magnificent creatures and reading what everyone else was saying....I'm sure there are many more like me out there, who didn't feel the need to write...just quietly enjoyed...of course I blabbed about this to anyone who would listen and shared with friends who were also watching but not necessarily writing...but now, with her passing it was just not enough....With the country and the world in such shambles, I so looked forward to watching at night, eastern time between llpm and 1 am....Phoenix's time between 8 and 11 pm- to see nightime meals, Dad adjusting the nest as soon as Mom wasn't looking, Phoenix going potty after dinner and nestling in close to either parent....Sometimes I fell asleep in my darkened bedroom watching on my laptop and listening to the sounds of nature amidst the evening breezes...I will miss that terribly and I will miss knowing that she would have been such a welcome addition to her world and connectively to my own. I will never forget the three of them and will look forward to another season....but this first experience will remain, in my heart, the epitamy of everything good in our world..and hope that it's enough to outway all else that seems to be wrong....Thanks for reading, whoever you are out there....Judith

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
bumpeynite: beautifully said.  :eclove
beth
from California

Offline bumpeynite

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
Thanks Beth,   Judith

Offline barberella

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
Bumpeynite, you've expressed feelings we all share.  Thank you.

I just looked up the date where I first saw a thread with the link for the web cam that was posted on an unrelated board, and it was May 19th.  I clicked on it immediately, so this was what precious Phoenix looked like (at least on the 21st) the first time I saw her, and I was instantly under her spell  :eclove:

Who could not love a face like that?  :heart

I'm a widow living alone, so I spend a lot of my time checking out what's happening online.  I post on 4 forums, and with emails, blogs, facebooks, etc., I would check them periodically.  And then there was P.  I couldn't stay away from that nest... I had it minimized while I was on other sites, but with the speaker on pretty high, I could hear any movement of the parents landing, or Phoe moving around, and I would instantly bring up the screen.  I always maximized it when I was watching TV, then I could see what was happening.  Of couse everytime the little message came on about cutting me off in 30 seconds, I'd have to dash over and click the green "OK".

It was wonderful seeing the pics and videos, and reliving Phoenix's short life.  Thanks to all involved in putting it together.

I've seen the "hot spot" of my fave P memory... the day the little brat bit her mom on the leg, and mom had to shake her off.  So sweet!  She wanted that fish.  :mhihi

I know I'll fall in love with another little eaglet next spring if we have one.  But I'll never forget Phoenix.  :sad

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
barberella: do you have the link to that hotspot handy?
beth
from California

Offline barberella

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
I sure don't.  I wish I had book bookmarked it.  It's so hard to find something like that again.

It's in one of the videos somebody posted.  Maybe Beans?

Sorry.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
Is it in the  highlights here?
beth
from California

Offline marjy2u

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
I, like many others, have been lurking, watching and learning, but not posting.  I began watching just before Phoenix hatched.  Who could help loving this wonderful creature?!  I managed to check in at least once every few days, or sometimes more often.  It was such a shock to tune in Friday evening and discover Phoenix had died.  While this tragic turn of events has broken my heart, too (I can literally feel a tightening in the chest and tears beginning to form at times :eccry), I try to remember that this is sometimes nature's way.  It's easy for us to attribute human emotions to wild creatures, but in this case, I hope the parents aren't feeling the devastation that we are feeling.  I have registered with the forum because I intend to continue following the Hornby eagle family and I hope Ma and Pa continue to thrive and produce many more little eaglets.  :heart  Best regards and many thanks to all those responsible for allowing us this fabulous opportunity to have a glimpse into the eagles' world.  :binocs :clap