Author Topic: Sharing Memories of Phoenix  (Read 20679 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Sharing Memories of Phoenix
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:08:49 PM »
I came to this season with such joy, as I'm sure many others did.  My heart is heavy right now.   I'm going to keep Booni's beautiful picture of Phoenix close by and remember that there is next year and the year after that.  I didn't expect to feel this so deeply, but didn't expect it to happen, either.  I guess that it's a lesson in what does happen in nature, rather than what we want to happen.   :eccry

We had so much hope for Phoenix... :heart

Hugs to Doug, Sheila, Ajl and HEG for sharing the happy and the sad.  We are a family and are together here for many good reasons...

:grouphug2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
Re: Sharing Our Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »
Haiku for Phoenix

Phoenix and Dudley
Are now soaring with Echo
Their spirits live on

luvthebirds
07-14-10

I will miss you dear Phoenix and the joy you brought us all.  My love to all who have shared in this adventure and know we are the better for it.  :heart
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline Punkinhead

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:47 AM »
I am in total disbelief and shock at the sudden passing of our beloved Phoenix...  I've been very busy this year and with so many in the chat now haven't signed in often, but I have checked the cam daily to get my Phoenix fix and he seemed to be progressing normally to me.  This is all so surreal... unfortunately nature brings us much happiness but also much sadness at times... a fact of life I guess.  I love luvthebirds words - Phoenix and Dudley are now soaring with Echo, and for sure their spirits will live on forever!!  My deepest sympathies go out to Doug and Sheila, Booni, Ajl and all the rest of my eagle friends.  ((HUGS)) to you all.  I will go about my business today with a very heavy heart. :eccry

Offline Jo

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:32:06 AM »
I am missing him so much.  I could never view the cam at work, but would always look forward to checking in on him everyday after work, and in the mornings before work.  I've been late for work many times this past month or so, waiting for the light of day on Hornby Island.  Big empty places in my days now.  And in my heart.

Life goes on ... there will be another nest, another adventure, more eaglets.  But Phoenix will forever be the one who opened my eyes to this kind of magic.

I will never miss another season on Hornby Island.  I am a regular now. 

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
Little did I know when I picked July 14th for Phoenix's fledge date that, yes, she would fly on that date, and that it would be her final flight to heaven. I believe that she was born for a reason, and that her destiny will be fulfilled.

Offline wannd

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »
Have watched the cam for three months or more- daily and evenings. Was shocked last night between 7:00 and 8:20 mdt,what happened. Very sad, but natures way i guess. Am surprised the big guys have not returned. Will keep watching and see what happens next year.

Offline ravenwing4

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:09:18 PM »
I started watching the Hornby nest while Ma and Pa Hornby were still getting the nest ready for Phoenix and Dudly's eggs to be laid.  Doug, Ajl and so many others have so much knowledge to share with everyone and were always ready to answer anyone's questions.

Phoenix was a beautiful baby.   Small and fuzzy when he hatched Phoenix grew so quickly.  Soon it was hard to believe that he could ever have fit into an egg as small as his companion Dudly.  Dudly who was Phoenix's pillow, security toy, chair, what ever Phoenix needed.  We all were sad when it was his time to go.  Dudly was the first to fly away.

Phoenix kept on growing and developing.  Growing his feathers, getting wings and a tail that looked like what they should be, really looking like the young adult he was starting to become.  It was fun to watch him feeding, first from mom and dad, and then more and more on his own.  Rearranging things in the nest, exersizing his wings, hoping up and down on and off the cam, the edge of the nest, getting ready to make his first flight.

We all learned so much from Phoenix and each other.  It is sad that he is gone.  Phoenix is flying now and never has to worry about not finding food, being hurt or sick.  The important thing to remember is that we have our memories of Phoenix.  In that way he will live on.

Condolences to Doug, Sheila, Ajl, Booni and everyone else.  Thank you all for everything that you do.  There will be other years, other eggs, other eaglets, but we will never forget our Phoenix. :heart   :grouphug2

Offline Eagle_Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
Hello
I been a long time viewer of the Hornby Island Eagles, I have made many friends in the forum because of the eagles, I lurked this year because things kept me from being glued to my computer...

But  I have seen the sad times and good times.. I cant believe that Phoenix is gone, just a few days before her fledging, I hope we will find out what happen to her, it saddens me because the Hornbys have been through alot, Millions of us love these famous eagles, They have showed us how it is in the wild, took us on a journey of happiness and sadness we shared with them in thier private life. We were in the nest with them watching, living, smiling, laughing and Now Crying, grieving for our little baby eaglet]
 I'm so sorry for thier loss,
I'm thankful to Doug and Sheila for sharing with us thier eagles.

I always looked in on her to see what she was doing..I miss her terribly and I made tribute for her.. she will alway be in my heart along with the other little ones who have passed to soon..
I send  my Condolences to
Doug and Sheila and to all who made this possible
also
To all the Eagle lovers on the forum.
This was a favorite capture of Phoenix she was just laying there looking up so cute one day and it was hilarious.. the way she just laid down.. and stayed that way a few minutes... waiting on lunch..

:mhihi
I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »
Thank you, tigerlady, for setting up this thread, where we can post our pictures and memories of Phoenix.  We are all sad, but let us also celebrate his life, short as it was. 

Phoenix having a chat with Dad May 15

Jean, California

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Sharing Memories of Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
Posted in response to a request on the chat by circlebear

"circlebear: (09:27) Evon Docherty there are simply no words to articulate the deep sorrow I have felt these past days but I do want to thank everyone involved in the recovery of our Beloved Phoenix. From the first day I have seen and been a small part of a love so large so real so magnificent that I have begun to have hope for all of mankind. If humanity can love this dear Eagle as it has then surely we can love one another as deeply and well. My thanks to those in chat, I weep with you all. I cannot bring myself yet to go there but believe me when I say I am with you all as we grieve and wait to learn what befell our dear Phoenix. Doug you and your wife are gifts and the gift you have given the rest of us goes un-matched, thank you.

Circlebear"
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline mammyjane

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:21:50 AM »
Living here in Louisiana where so many of our birds and other creatures have been destroyed by the oil spill, Phoenix was my bright spot. I began watching him on May 4, and since I am a retired teacher, I was able to look in on him several times a day. I was continually amazed at the care Phoenix received from Mum and Dad, and I was anxiously awaiting the time when he would fly. This is so sad, but I am forever hooked!  I can't wait to see our next babies. Thank you Sheila and Doug!

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:32:08 AM »
Working as a volunteer in wildlife rehabilitation, I see so many deaths.  These are very hard to bear and make us all extremely sad, but we soldier on.  Watching Phoenix, a lively, plucky, endearing eaglet was a healing balm for me.  After a difficult day with sick or injured wildlife, I would turn on the cam when I got home and watch her.  

My heart goes out to you, mammyjane.  Our Wildlife Manager and EO at International Bird Rescue Research Center (headquarters for Oiled Wildlife Care Network) are still in the Gulf.  They have been there since the beginning of the spill, with only one short break of a few days about two weeks ago.  There is still so much to do there.  Horrible.
Jean, California

Offline bayofundy

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 07:41:54 AM »
Phoenix is sadly missed,but will forever be in our hearts

Offline serene

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
Something urged me the other day to sign in to chat again..it was a regular thing for me to do every day to chat with fellow peeps and watch Phoenix hatch and grow.
Phoenis using "Dudley" as a chair to prop himself up  :ecsmile
Then I fractured my shoulder in two places and could not type for quite a while. I would lurk to keep up waiting for the fledge.
It was with sadness and tears in my eyes when I read about Phoenix yesterday.:-(

Phoenix is now high above the clouds, soaring as only eagles can do...looking down on us all, chachunking all the while, telling us to carry on and remember the good days.

Offline amyklai

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Dedication to phoenix . The sun descended in the west ,
The bird's flew homeward to their nest
And the little children crept to bed
To rest awhile a weary head .

The lambs stopped frisking till the dawn
And left the meadows all forlorn ;
The flowers closed their sleepy eyes
To weaken up to bluer skies.

A flaming jewel sank to rest
By God's own rosy light caressed .
Amid this everlasting dream
Eternity shall always beam .

Author , Thelma Halfacre ., Dear friend .

Missing you Phoe .