Author Topic: Mac self help group  (Read 89564 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Mac self help group
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »
Emc, thank you for the heads-up about the adblock items in "Tools" and "View" in Firefox.   :ecsmile   :eclove

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
I would like to find some new, interesting fonts that can be used with Mac OS 10.4 for making greeting cards. Does anyone know of a free, virus-free/safe place to find them?  I'd appreciate any help you can give.   :eclove

Also for Mac OS 10.4, do you know about any free, virus-free/safe greeting card-making sites or software?

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
Re: Adblocker

There is a very easy way to turn it off (disable it)

If Adblocker is on, you'll see a red stop sign in upper right hand corner of that page. Click and a selection comes up that will include disable Adblocker for .... site. Click that, the stop sign changes to green, all done.
beth
from California

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
The questions have been here for a long long time... sorry about taking so long to get to this part of the forum.

I upload photos directly from iphoto to flickr all the time.
iphoto does not even have to be open. The process is simpler, however, if you empty the trash in iphoto before uploading pictures on flickr. This is because even the discarded pics will show in the Finder window that you'll select your photos from.

In flickr, click "Choose photos and videos".
You get a small Finder screen.
The magic place is "Pictures > iphoto Library."

"Pictures," on my computer, appears at the bottom of the leftmost column in Finder.

Under the Pictures menu, you'll probably find any photo you have on your desktop. Don't be misled. Just keep scrolling down the menu until you find "iphoto library" and click that.
You will get another column with a bunch of years. You need to find the date you took your photo. The system makes a new folder for each day you've taken a picture!

(If you don't know the date, open iphoto and control-click the picture you want, and click "get info." The date will be somewhere in there.)

Once you have clicked on the right day of the right month of the right year, the photos of that day will appear as a list. A thumbnail of each picture appears when you click on it.

Select pictures one by one, or select a group of them, as you need.

Then click on "open" (or hit the "return" key). The selected pictures are now on the list to download on flickr.

You can click "add more" and select pictures from a different date.

When you have all the pictures you want in the flickr menu, click "upload photos and videos" and you're in business.

There is a special trick for uploading videos to flickr from iphoto.

If you click on the video as I described above, all you'll get is a cover photo.

In the Finder window, you need to continue down the list of photos taken that day. At the bottom of that list you'll find "Originals" and "Thumbs". Click "Originals."  Then find your video on that list. You'll know when you have the right file, because when you click "Open" and it lands on the flickr upload list, you'll see the file size is much larger than a single photo.

Then proceed as above.

Caution! Next time you use the uploading part of flickr, it will take you to the same spot in Finder where you quit last time. If you were in "originals", this is where you'll end up - in your un-cropped and un-tweaked photos. I did a whole long posting that way once -- and wondered why my pics were looking so washed-out. (My camera tends to overexpose everything, and when that happens I fix it in iphoto before posting.)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »

PS: I'll try to pay attention to this thread in the future. I've been working on a Mac for a few years... I don't know a whole lot, but I know a few things. If there are still some questions outstanding about making postings on the forum, or working in iphoto, let me know.
 :ecsmile
Wren

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
Thank you winterwren for excellent tutorial of iphoto and flicker.  I may just try Flicker some day...
beth
from California

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:48 AM »
Bless you, Wren!  That will really help me move photos I have from iPhoto to flickr.  I haven't tried to learn how to do it and now I can follow your tutorial.  Many thanks!   :thumbup:

Emc, I really like flickr.  It has many good features.  It takes awhile to learn some of the possible things you can do because there are so many.  I keep finding new ones as I explore there and I've been using it for about five years or more.   :ecsmile   Please ask us here if you want any help with flickr.  You can try the free version first, but eventually I switched to the "Pro" version and it's well-worth the $25 per year cost.   :nod2

Offline cawinecruzer

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 08:26:17 AM »
Can someone please list the directions to put a picture in the Avatar box that I can print? I have tried a couple of things, but alas, to no avail. I always end up with the blue question mark...a.r.g.h.h!! Also, where do I get the pictures? When I try to get one from my computer, all I get is the jpg.(and a number), no pucture. Frustrating. I have a MAC powerbook, running OS X 10.5.8.

Thanks...Guess I'll know if whatever I get works, when I see a picture on my profile.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »
We'll work on instructions for avatars (tutorial).  Meanwhile: to have a picture show up, you need to have the picture either on your desktop or in a server like photobucket, tiny pic, etc.( sorry, can't remember right now, but will look into it today.) We have a tutorial on photobucket and others here in this section.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:18 AM »
Real life gets in our way sometimes.  :mhihi
I'll try and work on the avatar solution.
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
cawinecruzer:  sorry it took me so long, but here are the directions.  1 Caveat,  I couldn't test it out or loose what I have. So if your picture in the Pictures doesn't work, move the picture to the Desktop and try again. Let me know how it goes, please.

How to  Get an Avatar

Go to Profile at the top of the page. It will take you to your own profile.
Choose Forum Profile Information from list on left side of screen.
You can choose to Upload My Own Picture, click that button,
Browse is on your right, click that
If you are on a Mac, have the picture you want either in Pictures, or Desktop and scroll to see the one you want.  Click it  and it will load unless it is too big.

Don't forget to go to the bottom of the page and click  Change Profile now it is saved. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:16:26 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline cawinecruzer

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2011, 07:25:35 AM »
emc (Beth),

OK, I tried your directions, but to no avail. Took a picture from my 'Pictures' folder. Everything looked OK, and it showed the name of the picture (grapes.jpg), but no picture. I thought that was how it was supposed to go, so I clicked the change profile button at the bottom of the page. Looked like it was going to work, then I got a "Session Failure" and  "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again. " did that, but when I tried logging out, got the same message. I'm at my wits end with this. Am about ready to try removing myself from the "system" altogether and starting over...assuming I can get out of the Session Verification loop. It is about as frustrating as calling some state office and getting into the phone loop. I'll give  it another go later today. Have to go teach the munchkins a little math and English. Thanks, I'll  keep you posted.

Dick

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2011, 10:24:49 AM »
Cawinecruzer:  Would you put the pic on your desktop and try that way, please.  I'm sorry my memory is foggy on that part, lol, and wasn't able to experiment further.
That may be it.  If so, let me know, and I'll change the tutorial.
You may indeed need to reboot first..   :mhihi
The avatar size wanted is 65 x 65.  You can set this size when you move it from pictures to desktop.

beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
cawinecruzer:  I just read where another person reduced the size of their photo and it loaded for them.  In Iphoto you can export and request a size. Choose small or 65 x 65

Try again and let me know. Other wise I'll get one of our guru's over here to help out. lol
beth
from California

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »
I still can NOT SEND a PM.  I can RECEIVE them.  I DID notify chatango, but they may never answer me.  Does anyone know how to correct this?  P.S.  I have a MAC if that makes any difference.

This was posted in Tech help.  Can someone help this person with PM's in the Chat? thanks

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=3.msg49650#msg49650
beth
from California