Author Topic: Nest #32 - Ford Cove  (Read 10019 times)

Online boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Nest #32 - Ford Cove
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
Nest #32 has a beautiful location!
It gets a lot of sun, even in the winter, & the fishing is good.
You see eagles often at Ford Cove, & a lot of the time, they are the eagles from this nest.
The nest is in a beautiful big tree, on a small cliff, looking out over the water.
There is a small hobby farm  full of all sorts of animals, & a pottery study down below.
A nice place for eaglets to grow up!

This map shows you where nest #32 is.

wooohoooo!

Online boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Nest #32 - Ford Cove
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »
Last year, by the time i made it down to the nest, the eaglets had fledged, & there was no one on the nest.
Here is a foto of nest #32 - Ford Cove, august 12 2009.

Today, Winterwren & Foldirol & i went down to Ford Cove, & there we saw an adult near the nest in a good perch tree.
So we decided to hike along the beach to see if we could see the nest.
We could!
Here is a foto of the nest, where we found two eaglets!!  :eclove

june 18 2010 16:50 - Nest #32 - Ford Cove, has two eaglets!!

wooohoooo!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
What an exciting find, Booni!  And with some nice searching buddies, too!   :eclove  That is a beautiful nest tree and two eaglets to complete your quest.   :heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:30:40 PM »
It seems to me that there are more active nests this year ?   Good weather for the ladies day out and about. Thanks for the snaps.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline Doug

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
This is one of the most densely branched eagle nest trees.  There is not much airspace above the nest for the eaglets to practice flapping, jumping and flapping and hop-flying across the nest.  And then, there is no simple open access to a flight leaving the nest and returning.  But the eaglets will manage very well, I'm sure.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
While Booni took these wonderful pics of the nest, I checked out the surroundings.
Here is the adult Booni mentioned in her posting.

Ford Cove eagle, preening. June 18 2010 - clickable photos!

And here is the landscape the nest is in. This will help illustrate Doug's comment as well. The nest tree is a huge fir; it sits a ways back of the cliff. In this picture it is framed between arbutus trees, to the centre right of the picture. The nest is barely visible if you click the picture twice. That tree really is densely branched.

To the left is a free-standing stone arch built by the owners of the farm - an easy landmark to find the nest.
Nest #32, July 18 2010:

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »
Oh WOW!!! Thank you for your sleuthing work all. What a great find!  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »
winterwren, thanks for the photos. That certainly is densely tree area. As Doug said, I am sure they find their way in and out. Maybe they have to play hopscotch to reach other branches and then fly out?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
BBE, you asked if there are more active nests this year... I think it's more a matter of having more active nest-watchers! 
So we have time to cover more nests.
 :biggrin3

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
Last week when I was on the Bench Trail I took this picture of Ford Cove, from above... The very furthest bit of foreshore in the centre of the picture is the 'front yard' of Nest 32.

The tide was very low at the time I took the picture.

Ford Cove seen from the Bench Trail... clickable picture.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 12:06:37 AM »
Last Tuesday, August 3, I had some business at Ford Cove... It was a good excuse to spend a while walking on the shore and check the neighbourhood nests.

I was pretty sure that the Ford Cove eaglets had fledged... Sure enough, the nest was empty. Then I saw someone appearing! This one looked like a beginner at flight school - and there was no challenge from adults! So it had to be one of the Ford Cove eaglets! (clickable photos)

Then I walked on to the next territory, at Heron Rocks... see my post about it here

On the way I photographed some of the wonderful sandstone formations that line the shore in this area:

On my way back, I could hear some strange, raucous bird calls near the nest... All I could see was some dark birds, like oversized swallows. I couldn't see what they were: they moved so fast! Then as I approached the Ford Cove dock, I heard a lot more of those calls, and the sky seemed full of birds... That's when I realised what they were: purple martins! The young must have been fledging. So exciting to see so many of those endangered birds in one place!

Here's a photo taken 2 weeks ago from the top of the bluffs above Ford Cove, while I was searching for nests in the area... The Ford Cove nest tree is so huge that it is visible from that distance. It is the first distinct fir tree on the seashore from the right side of the picture.

The tide is high in this photo, so the shore looks very different from my last post.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
Winterwren, the pictures you posted are beautiful.   :ecsmile   Thank you for helping us learn more about Hornby Island...especially places we read about here on the forum and in the chat room.  It's nice to be able to put the bits and pieces together and come up with a larger and larger picture of what it's like to live on Hornby Island.

And the picture you took of the young eagle flying is one of the most dramatic I've seen.  Great timing!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gzebear

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:54:18 AM »
Winterwren, your photo of the eaglet against the white sky is one of the most beautiful eagle photos I've ever seen. The wonder of it - every feather grown so perfectly in place, everything learned, another beautiful bird for this lovely planet, for us all. Thank you for being there and for being here.