Author Topic: Waterfowl and Shorebirds  (Read 60406 times)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Waterfowl and Shorebirds
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

Video:  Eurasian Oystercatchers Incubate their Eggs

From the website:

The Eurasian Oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus usually breed on the ground in open areas. The concept of roof-breeding is known from different sites. Aberdeen in Scotland is known for its population of roof-breeding Oystercatchers, counting about 230 pairs in 2004. In other countries the phenomenon is more uncommon, but is recorded (at least) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Latvia, Germany and Norway.

The Oystercatcher is one out of very few shorebirds that actually feed their young. This is also a condition for successful breeding on roofs up to 30 meters above the ground. In Bergen the adults feed in the parks near the building where they breed, and bring the food for their young. It seems that they mainly deliver Earth-worms Lumbricidae sp. to the chicks. The chicks stay on the roof until they are more or less able to fly.

Im not familiar with this oystercatcher, but the American Oystercatchers incubate their eggs 24 to 27 days.

1)  Link to live cam:  

http://tjeld.uib.no/

2)  Videostreaming using Windows media player:

1. Start windows media player
   2. Choose File, Open URL,  then type:   http://tjeldcam.uib.no:24002

This cam has sound!

With our thanks and appreciation to the Oystercatcher Cam.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:07:36 PM by NancyM »
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Waterfowl and Shorebirds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »

Video:  Oystercatchers Have a Little Chick

While Mother incubates the second egg, Father brings a tiny worm, which he gently offers to their chick.
Jean, California

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »
Hmmm, beans, about how old is this little cutie? If the other egg is still to hatch, he can't be too old right? He certainly is very mobile for being so young I think. I do not know a thing about these birds but was just wondering. Thank you for sharing once again.   :heart

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
I think the baby is two days old--
Jean, California

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Lovely videos, beans. It is so different seeing a  "precocial" chick after following the eaglets and their slower development.

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right thread.... (there is another for Common Loons but specifically Minnesota) I've been watching and waiting for the BRI Maine Loons to nest at this site for a couple of years now. They keep coming close and their wails and mews and yodles are incredible. The cam is lovely to have on in the background too. Occasionally a Muskrat swims by also.

Here is a long sequence of about 60 frames (15 seconds apart) of a visit at around 2:09 pm today.

The webcam is on www.briloon.org website. The Loons are even now swimming close by and occasionally calling.

Edited to add: I started a new thread for these Loons
Laura, Wimbledon, London UK - HEG

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
I'm glad to see this cam working.  You can make a separate thread for the BRI Loon cam, if you wish.  :ecsmile
Jean, California

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »
 :ecsmile Laurad that is great!! thank you for sharing, I  love the way he looks around before entering nest area :-)

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:12:26 AM »
I'm glad to see this cam working.  You can make a separate thread for the BRI Loon cam, if you wish.  :ecsmile

Thanks for the suggestion, beans, I did just that. I didn't know if we should keep some categories together. Now I've probably upset the system by posting the animation twice.. so if you want, delete the one from here, except that you and Cawatcher have responded...   :blush

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »

Video:  Mom, I want to sleep in

Around 4:15 AM in Bergen Norway, and two of the three baby gulls are ready to start the day with Mother and Father.  The third seems a bit reluctant.  Hes very comfortable under Moms warm feathers.

Larus canus

Watch the live cam here:
Jean, California

Offline Laurad

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »
Thank you beans - cute. It's unusual to know anything about gulls or pigeons  :puzzled2 even though they are so commom. I tried the link you quoted and it went to a refresh image, but there was a link to the live cam http://tjeldcam.uib.no:24002 but I didn't get any sound. I will try again tomorrow.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

Video:  Rooftop Oystercatcher Incubates her Eggs

Kjellaug and her mate Kjell are back at their rooftop nest in Bergen, Norway. When Kjellaug returns to the nest, she gives the cam a few good pecks before settling down on her eggs.

Recorded at 7:37 PM local time

Norwegian name: Tjeld

Haematopus ostralegus

From the website:

The Eurasian Oystercatchers usually breed on the ground in open areas. The concept of roof-breeding is known from different sites. Aberdeen in Scotland is known for its population of roof-breeding Oystercatchers, counting about 230 pairs in 2004. In other countries the phenomenon is more uncommon, but is recorded (at least) in the Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Latvia, Germany and Norway.

"The Oystercatcher is one out of very few shorebirds that actually feed their young. This is also a condition for successful breeding on roofs up to 30 meters above the ground. In Bergen the adults feed in the parks near the building where they breed, and bring the food for their young. It seems that they mainly deliver Earth-worms Lumbricidae sp. to the chicks. The chicks stay on the roof until they are more or less able to fly.

Oystercatchers have been breeding on roofs in Bergen city, western Norway the last five years (since 2000). In this period at least three different roofs have had breeding birds."

Jean, California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
That's neat beans, haven't seen that cam before. The live cam didn't work for me but thinking it's dark there now.

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »
May 12, 7:25 AM local time:

1st egg: 4/28
2nd egg: 4/29
3rd egg: 4/30

From http://www.bto.org/:

Incubation: 24 - 27 days (both parents)
Fledging: 34 - 37 days
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »

Video:  Good Morning Kjellaug and Kjell

Madame and Monsieur exchange places on the nest.

Recorded at 7:13 AM local time (May 13)

1st egg: 4/28
2nd egg: 4/29
3rd egg: 4/30

Incubation: 24 - 27 days
Fledging: 34 - 37 days

Norwegian name: Tjeld

Haematopus ostralegus

Jean, California