Author Topic: Doug's Updates  (Read 177823 times)

Offline Doug

Re: Doug's Updates
« Reply #315 on: June 27, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
Trixie,  I think the Wiigs eagles started their nest about ten years after our eagles had been nesting.  Being younger, they might be more vigorous, but maybe our eagles haven't seen any importance to controlling the Leaning Tree any more and simply let them use it if they wish?

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #316 on: June 28, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
Doug, do you think maybe one of the Wiigs eagles could bean offspring of the Hornby couple, and that would be why they are more tolerant of them?
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »

I just want to share this with all of you, as a reminder that no matter how this has ended, things were the best they have ever been for this cam and the people who got to live a bit of an eagles life

For many of us who have watched this nest since its first public airing on the internet, the shutting down of these cams is an end of an era. Although we hope to have reports we will not see events unfold.

This is a short chronology of the Hornby Island eagle nest cam

2006 - 3 months streaming cam with Hancock Wildlife Foundation.  Cam first aired approx. MARCH 24th when second egg was laid,
 Cam  was shut down May 5, 2006; taken off air after eggs
 decomposed in early MAY.

2007 - No streaming due to cams being damaged in winter storms.
two eaglets successfully fledged that year

2008 - 4 months streaming cam with Hancock Wildlife Foundation from MARCH until JUNE, when it became  clear that there would be no eggs laid that year.  At this time, Mr. Carrick said he was shutting the cams down and would not likely turn them on again due to personal considerations.

2009 - 7 months streaming cam with Hancock Wildlife Foundation, starting in FEBRUARY; until AUGUST Hope and Echo hatched, Hope went on to fledge successfully.
At the end of the fledge season, the Carricks made the decision to discontinue streaming the cam, due to personal considerations

2009-2011 - 22 months streaming cam with Hornby Eagle Group Projects Society (HEGPS) from NOVEMBER 2009 until AUGUST 2011.  The 2009/2010 season was the first fall and winter season ever streamed with the Hornby Island eagle pair.  That is nearly 2 years of continuous streaming with HEGPS, showing year-round activities in the life of these eagles.

At the end of the 2011 season, the Carricks again made the decision to discontinue streaming the cam, due to personal considerations

On a personal note, this is not the first, nor even the second time, the decision to stop the cams has been made, and created a sadness for me at the loss of sharing the eagles lives.
The repeated loss , though, also  reminds me that even with no cam, the eagles will continue in their own time and live their own lives , as intended by their nature.
And so shall I
I have come to admire  the eagles and their capacity to be a family,to show their care and affections for each other. I am in awe of their power and yet know they are as subject to their environment as we all are, and that they have no daily guarantee of survival.
I have also come to appreciate  people who strive to improve their own part of the world for their animal neighbours and thus improve their own personal spaces.

Eagles of Hornby, have fair winds and good fishing,
Eagles of  Hornby, stay free, stay strong,
Eagles of Hornby , fair thee well

Don't cry because it's over .   Smile because it happened.  
~Theodor Seuss Geisel, attributed~

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:03:56 PM by NancyM »
I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123