Author Topic: Doug's Updates  (Read 177020 times)

Offline Doug

Re: Doug's Updates
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
I have sent an e-mail to Alexandra Morton expressing our appreciation of what she stands for and for all that she has done.  I mentioned that she is our heroine and that we named the first chick Alexandra in her honour.  I gave her our hornbyeagle .com address if she ever gets time to glance at it.

If any of you would like to drop her an e-mail, her address is     info@raincoastresearch.org

Offline Doug

« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
Press Release about new Hornby eaglets:

We have a good video clip of our two new eaglet feeding, which we will sent to you.  Here is a press release which will explain the background of these eaglets:
 ALEXANDRA MORTON HONOURED

Mom and Dad Hornby named their first chick of the year “Alexandra”.  We are talking of the world famous “Eagles of Hornby Island” first seen by millions around the world in 2006.  These eagles just love salmon and have named their newly hatched egg after Alexandra Morton who has done so much to save the wild salmon.

In their initial year of fame, these eagle laid two eggs but both failed to hatch.  It was believed they were too old.  However, the eagles paid no attention and successfully fledged three more eaglets since then.  On March 22 and March 26 of this year they laid two more eggs.  They just don’t know when to stop.

They are now 28 years of age, considered to be old for eagles.  Although eagles have lived for up to 50 years in zoos,  30 years is considered to be the limit in the wild.  They have fledged 18 eaglets to date.

Alexandra (the chick) hatched in the early afternoon of  Thursday, April 28 - an event more exciting to eagle lovers than the Royal Wedding.  However, the hatching wasn’t without several worrisome hours.  A day and a half earlier, Alexandra had broken a hole (pip) through the shell but appeared to be stuck inside.  Eventually she did get out and is in good health.  The second egg is due to hatch on May 1st.

It is hoped that young “Alexandra” will remind us, just as Alexandra Morton has, of the supreme importance of a healthy environment, not just for the salmon, not just for the eagles, but for all life on this planet, including humans.  May the two “Alexandras”  live long and spread the message far and wide.

Offline Doug

« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
Press Release, continued:SECOND CHICK’S NAME: 

As expected, the second chick hatched on May 1st.  The second egg to hatch is assumed to be a male - a younger brother for Alexandra.  This chick is named “David” in honour of David Suzuki, the great Canadian biologist and educator who has produced “The Nature of Things”, a program running on CBC TV for 50 years.

In a time when the ultimate goal for many is the accumulation of wealth and the success of a nation is judged by its Gross Domestic Product,  Alexandra Morton and David Suzuki have dedicated their lives to the benefit of all people.

They have directed their energy in a course for mankind which allows for the continued evolution of life for thousands of years to come, and to who knows what heights.  Better than the blind market-place striving that will degrade life back to some primitive levels.  We must seriously understand what our behaviour does to the environment we live in.

It is hoped that the naming of our chicks “Alexandra” and “David” will encourage us to think about what is really important in life.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
Thank you Doug. We will get this to CBC tv.

birdvoyer and luvthebirds
Hornby Eagles PR Team
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline LittleTreesMom

« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2011, 05:57:54 AM »
I realized the other day, how much exactly the names Doug picked are destiny.
 Mishi's hallelujah song she plays with her pictures of Hornby well the first line is " I heard there was a sacred  chord, that DAVID played to please the lord" And the wonderful voice singing this version is ALEXANDRA Burke. I think that is just a beautiful sign and wanted to share it.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
What a nice coincidence.  Beautiful names too!  :biggrin3
beth
from California

Offline watermaid

« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
A very interesting note, Little Trees.  Thank you, watermaid :heart

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
That gives me goosebumps :-)  Definitely meant to be.

Offline Doug

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
As I am writing this I can see two healthy young chicks doing exceedingly well.  Young David started pecking at Alexandra's beak and she thought, "I don't have to take this" and took a peck or two back.  David simply turned his back on her and ducked all retaliation.  There was nothing excessive about this - simply siblings excercising in preparation for the future.  They are now walking well and their feathers are rapidly filling in.  To me, a wonderful thing to watch.

However,  when I watch chat sometimes I feel we are observing the Intensive Care Unit.   No fish were brought in today,  the noise is putting them off feeding, other birds are threatening them, they are sneezing, the boney salmon heads are not sufficiently nutricious, can Doug supplement their diets (presumably with vitamins), are the vibrations from the drilling frightening all the fish far out to sea.

At times it is like hysteria, reflecting your own unsubstantiated fears and inabilities to control your emotions and ruining the tone of the chat for others.  This should be a place for observing the wonderful job the parents are doing, based on 22 years of experience and where they have successfully fledged 18 eaglets.

Offline Doug

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
As I have said many times before, the noises of drilling and construction are not upsetting the eagles.  It is not a threat to them.  For 22 years they have chosen to come back to this same location.  It is OK.  With super sensitive microphones (the peeps of chicks can be heard while still inside the shells) you are hearing the noise far, far more than the eagles hear it.  The eagles are getting all the food they need - not necessarily three regular meals a day.  Yesterday there was a carcas of an oppossum on the beach.  In the morning I put out two good slabs of halibut and in the late afternoon another salmon head.  The eagles knew all about this but left it all for crows or other birds to eat.  If they needede food they would have taken it.

Have some faith in the eagles and some consideration for the tone of the chat.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
Thanks for those opinions, Doug.  :clap
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »
Doug, I believe this says it best...

"At times it is like hysteria, reflecting your own unsubstantiated fears and inabilities to control your emotions and ruining the tone of the chat for others.  This should be a place for observing the wonderful job the parents are doing, based on 22 years of experience and where they have successfully fledged 18 eaglets."

And to read and watch! Thank you for sharing you wisdom as well as the eagles.
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline ccfan

« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »
Doug,

I agree totally with your words that Birdvoyer quoted above. Thank you for your substantiated wisdom. Not being in your shoes of experience it is a little too easy to get carried away in speculation (including me and my well question earlier today:blush).You are a Godsend to us all. A lot of people who have been watching the longest have been "sitting on their fingers" aka "biting their tongues" in chat...and poor AJL is caught in the crossfire trying to answer questions honestly and then having the worst connotations put on her responses...it has definitely been a lesson in how many different ways the same question can be asked. 
The one thing everyone has in common is desiring a glorious outcome for Alexandra and Davidand Mum & Dad Hornby.
There is grace afoot in this world and it will find you.

Offline Faithyv

« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »
Thanks Doug

I seldom chat much of late - as it is such a fearsome ordeal at times.  I also assume that they are doing very well - as the little ones do not seem to be eager for every bite - which they would be if they were going hungry.

Now if only the chatters would read the forum pages too!

Thanks again for sharing this wonderous miracle with all of us.
I am humbled by your generosity.

Offline njoyneagles

« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
I second the thanks from Faithy above.  I have always been mostly a lurker, and an occasional chatter, always trying to catch you, AJL and our other experts to learn.  You all have so much knowledge to share with all of us, I sometimes wish everyone would slow down and really listen.  It's definitely become more difficult to watch chat lately.  I agree with Faithy - I hope they come read the forum!!

Thank you and all of HEG from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful cam and all the new things I have learned!