HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
December 11, 2017, 04:03:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 53 54 [55]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Request Technical Help Here  (Read 218191 times)
fol-di-rol

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #810 on: January 02, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »

good morning - once again I can't get the chat on either my PC or my iPad, so I guess it is a Chatango problem.  Several of us were having problems last night using the popout chat, so maybe Chatango are making some changes?

The cam is OK, by the way.
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #811 on: January 02, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »

The chat wouldn't load for me either on computer or ipad.  This must have been a chatango glitch, it is up & running now.
birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #812 on: September 28, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »

When I open the HEGPS cam web page, I get an immediate downlaod action to the bottom of the page. I have never seen this and have no idea what it is. Even when I click "discard", I do not get the chat either. It is an SWF file which is Shock Wave. Anyone have any suggestions?

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #813 on: September 28, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »

Hi birdvoyer,

The message at the bottom of your screen is (tiny print!) "this type of file can harm your computer" which is the sort of message that a security or anti-virus program would give if it identified the page as harmful. Have you changed or updated your security software recently?  I made a few minor changes to that page recently, but only in the links to the other webcams that are listed there.  Perhaps you need to whitelist the page so your security software knows it is OK?

I notice the question is "do you want to keep..."  xxx (I can't read the very end of that bit). What happens if you click "keep"  instead of "discard"?

ETA: I found this online about SWF:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/disable-flash-how-to,news-21335.html , dated about a year ago

... you could just disable Flash Player entirely. Unless you're playing kids' games online, you probably don't need it, and nixing it will save you from viewing a lot of online ads. You'll be a lot safer, because a large chunk of the malware attacking web browsers worldwide is dependent on Flash Player flaws.
birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #814 on: September 28, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »

Hi NancyM,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that I had done away with Flash Player a long time ago but maybe not. I will have to research that. I did have to reinstall my Norton Security suite which is provided through our Xfinity service provider. That may have cause some change somewhere but that was done a few weeks ago when we moved. This message just started showing up 2-3 days ago.

The rest of the line that you questioned says "group.swf anyway?" I was afraid to click on anything so I just closed the browser. I will work on the Flash player issue and see if that helps. Meanwhile, any idea why the Chatango chat does not show?

Again, thanks for the input.

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #815 on: September 29, 2017, 07:19:28 AM »

I need to check the code that was used for embedding the chat on our webpage, but it might be that it is an old legacy code that supports Flash. So, if there is a problem seeing Flash objects, that would include the chat.
fol-di-rol

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #816 on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »

Help!  I've lost connection to the chat - all that comes up is something called a Shockwave Flash Object, whatever that means
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #817 on: October 07, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

foldi, I am sorry you are having chat issues!  the chat box is embedded as a "flash object" and some people are having trouble with certain browsers, like Chrome.

ETA:
This link is an alternate  route to the chat page.  It does not work with Chrome, but it does have the newer non-Flash version of the chatbox and Chatango suggests we use it. 
http://www.hornbyeagles.com/HEGPSchat_updated.html
fol-di-rol

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #818 on: October 07, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »

thank you Nancy - getting things sorted out now - using Firefox
Pages:  1 ... 53 54 [55]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently