HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
December 10, 2017, 09:08:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 315250 times)
BBE
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1650 on: January 11, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »

I am so pleased to read that MARS was one of the recipients of funds from Michele's estate. All three organizations deserved to be recognized for the work they do.  love

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1651 on: January 12, 2014, 11:06:28 AM »

I was so happy to see this, the funds are going to well deserved places!! MARS does such excellent work and now will be able to
continue doing it. To all at MARS ... congratulations and thank you for all you do.
gmadeb3
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #1652 on: January 17, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »

Good things will come from this generous gift.  Thanks goes out to those involved to make this happen.

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1653 on: February 11, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »

Yesterday, as my afternoon was winding down, the phone rang. It was Reg. "Wanna go on a rescue? This is a really cool one."

He told me that a Great Horned Owl had hit the window of a farm house the night before. The family living there heard that big noise and rushed outside, looking for something large and injured in the dark. They did not find anything; but the next morning they discovered an unexpected guest in their chicken run: the owl had somehow made his way down the bank and inside the net enclosure, and was now peacefully perched on the side of the chicken coop.

I'm sure there was a great deal of head scratching and some hoping that the owl would be well enough to find his way out soon. Plus the steady-busy routines of a small farm.  One way or the other, the residents eventually found out about MARS and made the right phone call.

Reg asked me to capture and examine the owl, release him if he was strong and seemed uninjured, and call him back if I saw any sign of injury.

I had lots of good help over there. The owl, small for a GHO so probably a male, let us approach to within a few feet before he even reacted - not a good sign. I was only a foot away when he flew into the coop, where I cornered him easily. All the wing bones seemed stable, but his gaze seemed really fixed; he wasn't following my moving hand in front of his face, just staring right ahead (but I don't know for sure what is normal). He had some bruised-looking red colouring at the base of his beak. You could see the imprint on the window where he had hit, a full-on face plant.

So in the carrier he went while we worked on a transport plan. By that time, it was getting late, and sending him to MARS that evening was becoming problematic. But I was planning to go to town today anyhow, so Reg suggested that I keep the owl at home overnight.

And so I did. I put his carrier in a warm and quiet room. I built him a low perch, which he soon used. When I put the perch in his box, he clacked his beak at me for the first time, letting me know that my attention was unwelcome. Good! At dawn he started moving about, and he seemed much more awake, and more combative. This is a very good thing! Also the colouring on his beak had faded from purple-red to red-brown.

So we took the trip to Merville, certainly an ordeal for that poor owl, but he made it through and is now in care of MARS! The people who found him called him Zen. He is now getting the best of care, and I'm hoping that he will make it through and that we will see news of him on this thread. 
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1654 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »

Thank you wren! cant wait to get info of hiscondition from MARS (HEART) strikes again!  heart
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

« Post / Reply #1655 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »

Good job, wren!  Imagine ...  I wonder what the chickens thought of him?

ETA:  looks like the person who named him Zen and arranged for his rescue posted a couple of photos on the MARS FB page and more on his own page.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1656 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »

Nancy, thank you so much!  heart
I didn't have time to take photos yesterday because we were trying to get him on the ferry as soon as possible. And then it got dark. This morning I had someone take some photos while I had him out to change the cage's lining, but the photos turned out blurry.
This photo makes me realise how much better he looked this morning; his eyes were fully open and he stood taller. The reddish mark on the cere (the skin-covered part of the beak) had faded to a reddish brown.

He was perched on that very spot when I got to him. I believe he had been there all day.
And the chickens... They were all trooped into the opposite corner of the run. I don't think they were amused... But I would have loved to read their thoughts!
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1657 on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »

Wonderful story and beautiful owl... ty Wren!!!  Hopefully he will be flying free soon, but no more windows Zen!!!!
Would also have loved to read the thoughts of the chickens ... lol

boodle317
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1658 on: February 12, 2014, 06:46:57 AM »

Wow Wren....thank you for your part in the rescue and transport!  What a great feeling to get him where he can recover in warmth and quiet.  Wonderful!
Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1659 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »

I bet sparkies rooster was very quiet!
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #1660 on: February 12, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

My gosh wren, what a trip!!! (for you & the owl).  He's in a good place for sure & look forward to the progress reports.
OpieK

« Post / Reply #1661 on: February 12, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »

Thank you Wren for your part in his (hopeful) recovery!
Faerie Gardener

« Post / Reply #1662 on: February 12, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »

(((Zen)))  {Love the name  love }

Thanks Wren, and Nancy!

"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon
Rajame
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1663 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »

(((((((Wren)))))))) Thank you dear one!
heartssmiles

Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.
gzebear

« Post / Reply #1664 on: February 13, 2014, 06:53:45 AM »

Wren, thank you for caring for the owl. He looks so pitiful in that photo - happy to hear he looked better in the morning. Hope he makes it back home.
Pages:  1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently