Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 529283 times)

Offline OpieK

Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)
« Reply #1605 on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
So many of my favorite people all in one video - such a special day for all of them.  Sending love to the five free eaglets.

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1606 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »
This was a great way to wake up! Thank you to all that rescued, helped with the healing and release! It is good to see friends there too! I bet there is some great talks and walks and visits on Hornby this week!

:hearts
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #1607 on: October 12, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
I was so fortunate in being able to attend the release of three of the five eagles that MARS released on Thursday at the Puntledge River in Courtenay.  Local Hornby Eagle Group members were well represented, by boonibarb, auroradawn and myself.  We could see signs of lots of fishing activity going on in the river.  (Below is a still taken from a video I made).  Some photos can be clicked to larger size!

Dawn and I arrived early and were soon joined by another vehicle with the CHEK-TV reporter and one from the Echo newspaper.  We provided them with some advance information, telling them a little of the history and that we were members of the Hornby Eagle Group.  When he asked if he could interview us for the TV we said that booni and others visiting from US and eastern Canada might be the best people to interview. :ecwink

Before long the eagles and MARS entourage arrived.  The three crates were removed from the vehicle and positioned.  The following is a still from video, so not as clear as I might have liked, but gives some idea of the setting and small number present.  

Really, the only useful video I have of any of the three eagles flying off is of the first eagle being released by a long-time MARS worker/volunteer. (Video best viewed full screen).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEY0tWYylSw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEY0tWYylSw</a>

Maj was there drumming and you can hear Reg's eagle whistle.  

The crate containing Salal was the last one to be opened, and as booni was filming she declined doing the actual opening of the crate for the release.

Unfortunately the video I thought was being taken of this on my camera had been paused for fear of battery failing, and was not started soon enough (or focused) to show Salal's magnificent flight off.  It seemed to me that Salal was in the air for quite a bit longer than the other two released, and she seemed to follow the path of the river for a bit, then circled around, finally landing in a tree beside the river.

My 'cameraman' did walk down to the river to see if Salal could be seen on her perch in the tree where she finally landed.

As you can see - he found her - and she looked fit and well fed - ready for her next big adventure as a wild eagle!

Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from. - Terry Tempest Williams

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1608 on: October 12, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
Thanks Madrona, lovely day for a release.

NIWRC housed the 5 Eagles in their flight cage for exercise prior to release. All 5 were able to be banded.

From their FB page -

North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre
Dr. Eric Demers, a professor at VIU in Nanaimo and a team were out to place leg bands on the 5 juvenile eagles that were in the flight cage and they were transferred back to Courtenay with Hans Carolsfeld. They were all healthy and the staff of Mountainaire will release them soon.

There is also a vote going on via Aviva so they can put in an underground water system for their animals and that the hoses won't freeze in winter. Only a couple days left, please vote. Non-Profit Organization
PLEASE HELP NIWRA BY VOTING - go to:
http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf17386...

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #1609 on: October 12, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
Thanks for this additional information, passerine.  Yes - it was great that NIWRA was able to have these eaglets in their large flight cage prior to their release, and to see to their banding.

The young man in the photo, Hans, is the one who drove the five eagles up for the releases in Courtenay and Campbell River.  He was such a pleasant young man - and can be seen in the group picture I posted above.  He had been an intern at MARS earlier this year.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1610 on: October 12, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
Madrona, thanks so much for sharing the stills and the video with us. A beautiful day for the eagle releases.  They are noe well and free to explore their world.

Your 'cameraman' took two awesome photos of 'Salal'.

:heart  :ecsmile
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline OpieK

« Reply #1611 on: October 12, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »
Wonderful photos Mad, and the release video is heartwarming.  Thanks for the link and I will keep voting!

Offline Faerie Gardener

« Reply #1612 on: October 13, 2013, 07:39:46 AM »
This is a wonderful thread, and this last entry is just so exciting! Thanks for all the personal accounts and pictures. Nice that Hornby Eagle Lovers could be front and center in the release!                                                               :heart
"In all things of Nature there is something of the Marvelous"  -Aristotle

"A garden is never as good as it will be next year" -Anon

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #1613 on: October 14, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »

Thanks to madrona*s *cameraman*, i was alerted to the presence of Salal in the Tree she landed in after her release!
So i walked out to join them & see what i could see.
We never found out whether the releases were male or female, but according to Maj, this info is recorded at the time of banding.
Salal looked just huge when she was released, so i*m sticking with madrona & called her a she.
Just imagine what the wild world looks like to her, on this day!
You can hear a Gull calling from the River in the background.
Perhaps they were disturbed by the arrival of three new juvenile Eagles!

october 10 2013 13:17 - juvenile Eagle Salal after release

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvGGHfKg59g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvGGHfKg59g</a>

By this time i was being called for to go, but i just HAD to finish this video!
Look how she is enjoying the warm wind!
Doing some wingercizing, just like she probably was on the day she fell from her Nest Tree.
The video isn*t focused at first, but keep watching, it finally focuses in well.
She is looking about, as though she intends to fly to another branch.
Then there is a poopshot!
Her uncertainty about leaving, & the way she hangs her wings open, reminds me of a youngster still on the Nest.
She is going to have to practice now, out in the wild, how to take off & land in Trees.
You can catch the glint of the silver band on her right leg!
i wonder if we will ever see this on Hornby!
i am being shouted for this whole time.
(sorry...)
She does a shuggle, but i must leave & wish her a good life now.

october 10 2013 13:19 - juvenile Eagle Salal after release

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWlpfzU6mcg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWlpfzU6mcg</a>

wooohoooo!

Offline amazedbyeagles

« Reply #1614 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
Love Love Love the videos, Booni!!!  Thank You! :eclove

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1615 on: October 14, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »
Awww, darn shouters. Nice to know they were sexed, I'd be curious, hoping to see one some day with band.

It must be strange to her in her new surroundings. The last wild Salal seen would have been from her nest then the ground. Sure she'll do just fine. :heart

Offline madrona

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #1616 on: October 14, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
Thank you booni - I love the last video!  :eclove  Salal certainly was taking in her surroundings, following her impressive flight, during which she flew above the river before turning and making her way back to the tree she was perched in for the remainder of the time we were there.  Her practice sessions in the flight cages at OWL and NIWRA certainly paid off, as she appeared to be a strong flier.

Reg offered a theory that a juvenile fledgling will perch on a branch that is similar to nest height.  If this is the case, then Salal's instincts would have driven her to find a spot that was in her 'comfort zone' so to speak.  In booni's video she certainly seemed to be exhibiting many of the behaviours we have witnessed in the nest with young eagles preparing to fledge.  That evening I thought often of her and the other two in neighbouring trees - hoping they found each other and other eagles so that they could tag along to find spawned salmon to feed on.

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1617 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »
Precious follow up videos of Salal booni.  :biggrin3

Usually the eaglets are out of range after a release and no one seems to have this opportunity to get close ups of them in the trees afterward. Very special video  :wub. And of course hearing the rescue story and the rehab and then getting to see the release and then this too, makes it even more special for all of us. Thank you very much.  :heart
beth
from California

Offline boodle317

• HEGPS
« Reply #1618 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:59 AM »
Wow...great video of Salal feeling that wind.  Best of luck girl!

Booni...how fitting she was able to show you a poopshot and a shuggle before she made her way into the big world!  Love it!   :heart

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1619 on: October 16, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
Nice write up in the Comox Vally News:

Young eagles set free
October 15, 2013

By Michael Briones
Echo Staff

Three young bald eagles that were nursed back to health after being rescued by concerned citizens are now a regular feature at the Puntledge RV Campground in Courtenay.

They can be seen soaring above the treetops, scanning the area for possible prey. They

were among the five birds of prey released by the Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society on Thursday afternoon. The other two were set free in Oyster River later that day, making it only the second time for MARS to release that many eagles in one day.

rest of article here http://www.comoxvalleyecho.com/article/20131015/COMOX0101/310159995/-1/comox0101/young-eagles-set-free