Another reason NOT to use rat poison!Gray Fox Release
A female gray fox was brought to the wildlife hospital in mid-August. She was bleeding from her mouth and passing blood in her stool. After an initial exam, we determined the fox was suffering from rodenticide poisoning. Fortunately the fox came to us just in time and we were able to start treatments that reversed the effects of the poison. By early September, she had improved, her blood values were normal and she was acting more like a healthy fox.
Last weekend the wildlife hospital released the gray fox back to the wild and shared that experience with seven lucky members of the public. If you would like to be invited to a release of a wildlife hospital patient, visit our website (http://wildlife-museum.org/hospital/releases
) and register your email address to be notified.
I saw this little fox in the holding room. I am so glad she has recovered and is back in the wild. I don't know why people are still using rat poison. If you want to get rid of rats, use snap traps in your own house. Never use poison. This puts many animals at risk, including pets. Outside, Red-tailed Hawks and Barn Owls are the answer.
When rats and mice eat d-CON, a potent anticoagulant poison, they don't die right away. Deterioration in the blood's ability to clot takes up to a week to become fatal, during which time the animal grows increasingly dazed and sluggish and therefore more vulnerable to predators. The poison can then build up in the bodies of these larger animals, sometimes leading to their own demise as their blood vessels, too, essentially explode. This was found to be the fate of three beloved red-tailed hawks in Manhattan earlier this year.
Read about the hawks here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81470.html