HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
August 27, 2015, 05:09:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HEGPS has new Camper and Scootch designs in Cafe Press

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center (Maine)  (Read 39405 times)
gzebear

« Post / Reply #420 on: November 29, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »

BAEA 1546 Grand Lake Stream - released!

An adult Bald Eagle was rescued October 22 in Grand Lake Stream, on the ground, feeling ill but uninjured. Fortunately it was not lead poisoning, and we still don't know what was ailing her. But with supportive care, she recovered just fine and was recently released!

Her intake photo - she had that blank stare for several days ....

A couple weeks later, she is feeling much better!

She is soo ready to get out of that rehab place ...

and ..... poof! she's gone!

Back among the trees ....

Farewell beautiful Mom GLS! Glad we could help! nod

release photos by her rescuer, Marie Roberts - thank you, Marie!
OpieK

« Post / Reply #421 on: November 30, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »

wonderful, (((gze)))
gzebear

« Post / Reply #422 on: March 20, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »

Some news from Avian Haven ....

It's been a rough winter here for birds, especially eagles, owls, hawks and ducks. 9 eagles were found with lead poisoning, presumably from feeding on coyote bait piles which are usually comprised of the remains from deer season. One eagle was dead on arrival, one is still with us and doing well, the other seven died within the first day or two. Such heartbreakers.

The solid deep-freeze temperatures and back-to-back blizzards resulted in a very heavy snow load that's still here, so hunting conditions have been and still are extremely difficult for owls. Several Northern Saw-whets and close to 50 Barred Owls have been admitted since the first of December. We still have about 20 owls in outdoor cages, waiting until it is safe to be released.

BDOW 168 Knox
A recent admission was a young male Barred Owl who was discovered in the middle of the night in a cow barn. The farmer was awakened by the commotion and found the owl on the floor of the barn, surrounded by cows. In addition to a broken ulna, this guy was completely saturated with wet cow manure!

We gave him a quick spritz bath and cleaned his face, then settled him into an ICU to rest. Later, when he had somewhat recovered from his ordeal, he had a nice bath …

He's doing quite well now - in a regular hospital cage, looking much better, eating on his own - and the wing fracture has good prospects for mending.

birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #423 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »

Thanks gze for an update from Avian.  This winter has been so difficult obviously for the critters as much as us people.  Always love the "lines" of owls you post.  I found the series of BDOW 168 Knox interesting...from total misery to the almost "relaxing" expression in the tub once the yuk was washed off to the almost "smiling" expression in the last photo.

As always, thank you and Avian Haven for all that they do for the wild birds.  As hard as it is to hear of the loss, I am always inspired by those that make it with the Center's help.
  heart

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
gzebear

« Post / Reply #424 on: July 29, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »

Summer 2015

After a very stressful winter overflowing with young hungry Barred Owls, Avian Haven is experiencing an even more stressful summer. Our case load for 2015 is over 1400 birds already. Last year on July 25, we had just admitted case #1000. Over 400 more birds – so far!

The majority these past few months have been young songbirds, but we have also seen a record number of young raptors. Here are eight of the 13 young American Kestrels admitted to Avian Haven this year:

We are very fortunate to have an extraordinary foster mom for these babies. Her name is "Gracie" and she doesn't seem to mind having her nest box full of new kestrel babies to care for!

Gracie, with one of her foster kids …

In addition to the kestrels, we still have 15 Barred Owls, 3 Great Horned Owls, a Red-tailed Hawk, 10 Broad-winged Hawks (9 juvies, 1 adult), 2 Merlins, 3 ravens and 9 crows. What all these birds have in common is that they all eat mice!

In past years, even with this number, we could probably have managed just fine. Avian Haven has for years been the grateful recipient of large donations of mice from two different labs. But one of the labs has closed, the other has significantly decreased production, and we are now faced with purchasing nearly all of the mice we require to care for these raptors and corvids. Right now, they are eating about 175 mice a day, at 70 cents apiece. Can you say OMG? It's really very scary. 

Avian Haven receives no government funding. Our operating expenses are paid through donations. I'm hoping some of you can help us out. A case of mice is around $800, and lasts about a week right now. The little kestrels and merlins don't eat much, but the Great Horned Owls will eat 10 mice apiece - every day. I am trying to garner support through our Facebook page, but fund-raising is not really one of my stronger skills. I think everyone wants to help, but I seem to lack the words to inspire action.

You can donate safely online here: http://www.razoo.com/story/Avian-Haven

You can also see the Wish List I've made, which includes where to mail a check if you prefer (CADs are fine, don't know about other countries): http://www.facebook.com/notes/avian-haven/avian-haven-wish-list/659246050818046

Everyone always says, "If everyone just gave a dollar … " It's true. Many small donations make for one large donation. There is no amount too small to be appreciated (or too large to be put to good use!). I would love to help provide the hard-working rehabbers at our wonderful center with the assurance that we will have mice to feed these raptors and corvids until they are ready to return to their rightful place in the wild.

A huge thank you to all who will help us get through this mind-bogglingly busy season!

Pages:  1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently