Author Topic: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)  (Read 439594 times)

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (Vancouver Island)
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society ( MARS)
Located at Merville, Vancouver Island BC. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Merville&state=BC
Phone: (250) 337-2021

MARS is the closest rehab facility to Hornby Island, has been instrumental in helping the wildlife from there and all of Vancouver Island & surrounding islands .

Maj Birch is the founder and senior wildlife rehabilitator at MARS.  She began rehabbing in 1987 in Northern BC, and after Certification in IWRC Basic Skills moved to the Comox Valley with her husband Keith.  She established the wildlife centre in 1995 on their 3 acres of property, gaining permits from Canadian Wildlife Service for migratory birds and permits for raptor and mammals from Min. of Environment. She completed the exam and MARS became a designated wildlife facility in 1996.

For more information of the MARS facilities, volunteers & the wonderful work they do for all avian species click here http://www.wingtips.org/

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountainaire-Avian-Rescue-Society/119843378113?v=wall

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:33:44 AM by passerine »

Offline Rajame

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:41:04 PM »
Ah Passerine!

Thank you.  I was heading to bed and then I saw this great information and pics.

Hugs,
Rajame  :heart
Your soul lights up the room as if the sun is beaming directly.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »
The videos are uplifting, Passerine.  Than you for sharing them with us.  I'm so glad that MARS and other rehab groups like it are working to help wildlife!    :heart  
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:55:26 AM »
Passerine, what a wonderful job you have done "introducing" MARS to our forum. Great information provided.

I am very impressed by the set up and work being done there. It is nice to know that such a place is nearby. However, the unfortunate news of budget cuts and reduced funding and donations, causes much concern. Perhaps we could consider a % of the proceeds from our fundraisers be donated to help MARS? Just a thought.
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »
Thanks Rajame, Tiger & BV, yes bv i think it's a very good thought if possible to help MARS in any way we can.  :nod2

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
The Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society looks like a wonderful place to volunteer or do an internship.  Thanks for this good information.

After all this time, you'd think I'd be used to the rescue, care, and releases.  Not so.  That first video made me cry.
Jean, California

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
I am so impressed with MARS and the wonderful work being done there. I loved the videos of their great work and what really made me happy, and yes, I shed a few tears too, was the releases. It was such a great feeling to see them fly off like that. I also was impressed that they release the birds without all that public hoohaw that I see so many times. I just believe these quieter releases are so much easier on birds/animals. It is nice though that they record it for us to see and I believe that helps make more and more people aware of the great work that these places do. Thank you passerine for bring this to our attention. I do hope they get donations/funding to enable them to continue what they do, as it appears to me -- they do it well.

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
For anyone that may be close enough to attend.

Celebrate The Year of BIODIVERSITY at MARS Open House Sunday April 11th 11:00 - 3:00 PM

Celebrate Biodiversity at MARS during National Wildlife Week Open House

Spring is in the air, with flowers blooming, bees buzzing and birdies singing.  The world around us is full of renewed life, a perfect time to observe the biodiversity in and around the Comox Valley.  This year has been declared the International Year of Biodiversity by United Nations and MARS invites the public to join them on Sunday April 11th from 11 am to 3:00 pm at their Wildlife Centre in Merville.
 more info >> >>> http://www.wingtips.org/

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:54 AM »
Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society Watch CHEK TV tonight at 5 pm for release of 4 of the 5 bald eagles we rescued earlier in the week. Again on CBC at 7 pm news about these birds. The 5th eagle is still in care due to a large wound on it's breast. Thanks to MARS volunteers, the quick response from Shamrock Vet, Van Isle Vet the BC Ministry of Envrion...ment and City of Campbell River for their help with this crisis.

A News report on picking up the eagles: http://www.youtube.com/ANewsVanIsland#p/u/3/cQNqo8bGt3Y

Sat. May 15 - MARS @ Shamrock Vet Clinic Open House 11-4 pm

North Island College - Animal Care Aid Students gain work experrience with MARS rehabbers.

Wendy Kotilla's Youth in Ecological Restoration (YER) help at MARS

May long weekend - look for us @ Kitty Coleman Woodland Gardens

MARS Student interns arrive for their summer 6 week rotations.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
passerine, I found the YT link for that news story. Thanks for letting us know there was news available about those poisoned eagles. Very sad.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQNqo8bGt3Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQNqo8bGt3Y</a>

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
Thanks for posting the video.  This is indeed sad.  We do all we can to save wildlife, and then something like this happens.  It is very discouraging.  On the other hand, there is hope for these eagles:  perhaps they will recover in this excellent wildlife hospital.
Jean, California

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:02:46 PM »
I understand that Mountainaire will be examining Phoenix.  Perhaps updates can be posted here?
Jean, California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »
beans, it is hoped a necropsy will be performed. AJL has indicated the results will be shared on this forum.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »
This is the facility that was trying to rescue Phoenix.  He declined too rapidly for help to arrive.  Which often happens with birds, by the time they show signs of illness, they decline rapidly.  They will be retrieving him and then the necropsy.  Donations to this organization in Hornby Eagles name or Phoenix's name would be appreciated.

http://www.wingtips.org/

On the left hand side of their home page is donations.  Then a donation form is another choice after that.

Thank you for supporting them. :)

Thank
beth
from California

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
Maj of Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (MARS) pulled all of the strings that gave us permission to remove Phoenix's body for a full necropsy so we will learn a lot of things from the report when it is done. 

It is the Ministry of Environment that had the authority to give permission to allow a tree climber to go up to the nest today.  The MOE will also be doing the necropsy for their own information so that will save MARS doing it and it will probably be more extensive because the government will not have the costs that MARS would have had doing various tests and studies.

The following information has been received from Maj via someone who wanted to donate some medical equipment:

Items like medical equipment (nebulizers for example) are best donated to your local wildlife recovery centre due to the difficulty of sending them across the border.  If you are outside of Canada, a monetary donation would be the best thing to do.  It would be more cost effective and cheaper than trying to send items across the border.

Within Canada, Maj suggests we stick with the wish list for sending items.

They also take mastercard and visa by filling out a donation form.

http://wingbeats.info/donate/donation-form.html
Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.