HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
May 29, 2017, 12:32:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions About the Cam View  (Read 12027 times)
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:54:48 AM »

Wedgetail, Canadian laws are very strict about not disturbing active eagle nests and the CU cam can only be cleaned when the eagles leave the nest during August and September and go to the salmon runs.  After they are gone, Doug hires a tree climber to go up there and clean the CU cam lens.   nod

Otherwise the rain that manages to get on that CU cam and the Wide Angle cam is the only way they get clean. The dead part of the tree stump above the nest is too unstable for the tree climbers to risk cleaning the Wild Angle cam now.  (The rest of the tree appears to be in good health.)

Last year the eaglet named Hope sent a "poop shoot" and it obscured the view so that only the Wide Angle cam could be used for the rest of the season!  eek!   Phoenix has done it several times, but so far, thanks to the rain and good fortune, the CU cam is still being used.  

Plans are underway to make some changes to where the cams are seated when the eagles leave for their annual salmon festival.  We hope to avoid the "poop shoot" scenarios that way and make it easier to keep the cams clean.   love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Wedgetail

Australia Australia

« Post / Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

Thanks Tige. I certainly would have been surprised, even if there weren't restrictive laws, that anyone on this project would take a chance on disturbing the eagles while the nest was occupied. I had wondered if there were some sort of remote-control cleaning apparatus installed. I have seen such cleaning gear work on cameras mounted on race cars, airplanes and other remote locations, but the cost must be extreme. Maybe someday a maker of such equipment might donate to the Hornby observation project. Anyway, keep up the good work and g'day from downunder.
barberella

« Post / Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »

Madrona, I've owned a computer for 10 years and never knew you could click on "View" and zoom in or out on something.  I've now zoomed in on all my message boards, including this sight, and it's so much easier for me to read (my eyes are really bad when it comes to print).

Thank you!  love

Yeah, I am computer-challenged, but I know enough to get by.  wink

Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently