« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
 :eccry Darn

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
Re: 2020
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 08:26:19 AM »
There*s an update about our Seal pup who was rescued from Grassy Point!

here

link to my fotos page -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »

Wow....incredible rescues happening on Hornby!  Miigwetch booni and all involved!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 08:17:39 AM »
i*d spent the day in Helliwell with a friend, searching for a Seal pup that was in need of care, & was unsuccessful.
Was just tucking into my evening when someone called & they had spotted the Seal pup!
So i had to go back.
This is a LONG walk with a wheelbarrow & a tub for the pup.
By the time i got there, the tide had come in & that pup was swimming.
i could see the umbilical cord in the water, so this was a young one, who should have been with their Mum.
But this wasn*t the pup we had been searching for.
Now it was late & i finally thought i was done for the day when i got a call from the ferry that a young woman had found an injured Pigeon!
So i had to wait a nother while before i could jump in the shower & have my evening.
She brought the poor Bird to me in her arms.
Something seemed very wrong.
i put the Bird in a covered box for a rest for the night, expecting to have a dead Bird in the morning, but in the morning they were still alive!
i opened the box & set it in the shade in the yard & when i got home, the Bird was gone!
Oops, found them sunning in the garden.
i called ajl for some help & she said this was a Rock Dove & that they are quite complicated to care for.
The Bird should not be in the Sun, but should be in a cool dark quiet place, as this looked like head trauma & maybe spinal injury.
& it looked best to get the Bird to MARS, but they hadn*t called me back since last night.
There was supposedly someone on Denman who would care for the Bird.
But finally i heard back from Gyl & yes indeed they would take this Bird.
So then i had to care for them til at least the next day & also work out a ride in to MARS.
A nice fella offered to go to town just to help out!
So i gave him money for gas & a little lunch & he came the next day & took the Dove to MARS for me!
What a relief.
Especially since the people found that Seal pup again & i had to go do a Seal pup rescue later this same day.
But that is another story.

july 25 2020 12:03 - injured Rock Dove

link to my fotos page -

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »
Okay, now back to the Seal pup story i started above.
We*d gotten called to look for a black Seal pup in Helliwell.
To me, that is a very different colour for a Seal pup to be.
So, should be easy to find, ha ha ha.
On july 25, my friend searched the beaches in the morning, then both her & i searched in the hot Sun all afternoon, & never found the pup.
In the parking lot as we were leaving, Hornby locals asked what we were doing with the wheelbarrow & blue tub so we explained.
Then a bit later, i got a call saying they had found the pup!
So i went running back there with the wheelbarrow & tub.
Here is the foto they got of the pup.
You can see in the upper left corner of this foto they got, that the tide was coming in.
By the time i got there, the pup was still in that exact spot, but now they were underwater.
i waded in to where they were, & could see the umbilical cord waving through the water.
So, a newborn, who should still be with their Mum for two weeks, nursing & protected.
BUT!
Not the black pup we were looking for.
So, now we need to come back tomorrow & look for this same pup again.

july 24 2020 - Helliwell Seal pup by berni & jo

i am called & asked if i am looking for this second pup on saturday the 25th of july, but i am hoping that those locals would search, instead of me.
They were very enthusiastic, & wanting to help.
i am still sore from searching yesterday, & it is not an easy search, the shores of Helliwell, & i do NOT want to fall & injure myself.
Now i can*t remember if they found the pup that day.
But the next day, july 26, they are back there looking, & i have agreed to be on call to head out there to do the capture with Aaron, if the family is successful in their search.
i had planned to go relax in the sun at the ballpark & watch a game, but instead i have to stay home & wait for the phone to ring.
It has been hours, & i am thinking i spent this hot day at home for nothing, when the phone rings.
They have found the pup again!
So Aaron & i head out there for the capture.

The pup is carefully examined, to make sure they are the same one we saw friday night, & they are.

july 26 2020 - Helliwell Seal pup by berni & jo

We decide to take a sport bag with a towel inside, instead of the wheelbarrow & tub.
Aaron & i go roaring out there as fast as i can walk & we find the family there, watching the pup.
They must keep their distance from the pup.
Only Aaron & i are allowed to approach.
The poor family spotted the pup hours ago, but were having trouble with cellphone transmission.
So, for me, a wasted afternoon waiting for the call, but at least in the long run we had the pup in sight.
&, it wasn*t me who had to look for the pup.
The pup was in the shade of a big rock & i was able to capture with a towel easily, & i put the pup into the sport bag.
The pup still had enough oomph that they kept trying to climb out of the bag.
We called in the capture & another foto to ensure this was the same pup as two days ago, then we were good to go home again.
Fortunately, Aaron is a big strong guy, & younger than i am, & he offers to carry the pup in the sport bag to the parking lot.
Those pups are surprisingly heavy!
i was glad to only have to suffer the hot walk.

In the parking lot, we transfer the pup to the Seal pup tub & Aaron roars off to transfer the pup via his fast boat, to the next volunteer who will meet him at Deep Bay.
There is poop in the sport bag, & you can see poop on the belly of the Seal pup here.
& guess who gets to clean everything up & get it ready for the next Seal pup rescue???

link to my fotos page -

wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »
((Awesome end to a  feeling that this was not going to end well.. Thank you booni for your work and sacrifice ))

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 08:43:40 PM »
here is an update about this Seal pup!
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 07:32:11 AM »
& someone adopted this Seal pup in my name by making a donation!  :hearts2

august 8 2020 - certificate of adoption

august 8 202 - rescued Seal pup wolfgang

link to my fotos page -

wooohoooo!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »
That is really nice !!!!
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »
i got a call first thing in the morning from MARS that someone in Tribune Bay Campsite had found an injured Fawn!
They wanted to get the Fawn into care, so i said i would arrange this.
They gave me the number of the person who called, so i called her right away.
Someone had found the Fawn lying down next to their car, i think in the night.
The Fawn was unable to stand up with the back legs.
She said she would meet me at the parking lot of the campground, so i made sure i had what i needed in the van, & headed down there.
She was waiting for me at the road when i arrived, & hopped in with me so she could show me where to go.
It was very crowded & busy there!
Lots of kids & adults & cars & NOISE!
She had a fenced in trailer that we parked next to, & inside was the Fawn, hiding under a table.
As soon as we walked in there, the Fawn panicked & was trying to stand up & get away, but they could not get their back legs to work.
The Fawn was dragging themself quite quickly towards underneath the trailer, which would make it hard to capture them, so i just ran in there & stopped them by putting a towel over their head, & hanging onto the body, & they calmed down.
She brought the Seal pup tub closer so that i could pick up the Fawn & pop them in quickly.
They were VERY heavy!
i popped the Fawn in the tub & closed the lid.

Turns out she has a rescue Macaw who is so lovely!
So she showed me him & you could see their lovely bond.
He was in great condition.
She has worked at the raptor center on Vancouver Island, & definitely loves Birds.
Well, i could have watched them together all day, but i wanted to get this Fawn into care as soon as possible.
The fella who delivered the Rock Dove to MARS had called & offered to deliver the Fawn!
He gets his ferry covered for doing this, but he came by around 11:30 & didn*t bring me back the tub til 6pm, so it took him almost all day to do this.
He just wants to help, so, yay!
i drove home & waited for him to come.
i called MARS & told them i had the Fawn in hand.
She said to cover the tub, so that the Fawn isn*t alarmed by all they can see, so i did.
When i did this, there was a Doe & a Buck nibbling plants next to my driveway.
i hoped the Fawn could hear them & be comforted by the sounds.
When the fella showed up to pick up the Fawn, you could hear them trying to stand up in panic, inside the tub.

Look at the Fawn*s back legs here.
They still have spots, but they sure were not a newborn, but a well fed & well along Fawn, when whatever happened happened.

august 12 10:05 - injured Fawn

link to my fotos page -

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »
Another Seal pup!
i had been working out in my yard & when i came in there were four messages on my voice mail.
They were all about a Seal pup, begging me to go & get them, & assuring me it was an easy capture.
i was glad to hear that, because i was tired & sore & not up for a difficult walk or search.
So, of course i went.
The place was private waterfront, the people had been watching the pup all day.
The pup was in very poor condition.
The road is a long one, & i took a chance on which direction i turned, & lucked out that it was the right way.
Turns out it was the same place i went years ago when people arrived to their place & found an *Eagle statue* on their deck!
Turned out to be one of the Eaglets from Nest #20.
Two women came out right away & helped me get the tub down their stairs to the rocky sandstone beach.
i couldn*t see the pup, who was behind the rock.
i have to wear disposable gloves & mask now, for capture, so i donned these & had my towel for over the head ready.
The women took care of bringing the tub close behind me.
The pup was right at the water, & i didn*t want to chance that they would go for it, so i just went straight up & put the towel over the head.
As soon as i pick these pups up they start squirming & become very heavy.
The women were right there with the tub to pop the pup into.
Yay!
Then they helped me to get the tub back up the stairs & loaded into my van.
Jesse was already lined up to take the pup from Ford Cove over to Deep Bay.
i asked the women to call the rescue center to say i had the pup & was on my way down to Ford Cove.

i wrote later to ask whether this dark grey/black pup might have been the one we were searching for on july 24 in Helliwell, which isn*t that far away from where this pup was found.
This is the reply from the center.

Hi Barb,

I doubt it is the same. That pup from Helliwell is long dead unfortunately. He was also injured and this one has no wound.

Thank you so much for going rescuing this little one. He sure needed help. Respiratory infection and down below birth weight.

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
Yay!
Our Whaling Station Seal pup has finally showed up in the patient list at the Vancouver Aquarium!
here
wooohoooo!

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 07:41:17 AM »

Well that took me awhile to catch up! 

booni, your work on saving these lives on Hornby is remarkable.  Knowing that trek out to Helliwell, I was exhausted reading your accounts of these rescues!

Gitchi miigwetch for all that you do.  You amaze me.
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
On monday i went out onto the front porch to dump my coffee puck into the pail & i noticed a Barred Owl perched on my front porch not 8' away from me!
i stood still & just looked at them, & they continued to perch there with me so close.
Hmmmm....
Left them to it, but kept looking out my window to check on them.
Saw the Owl go down to the ground & then climb rather than fly up into the bushes.
Every time i looked i could finally spot them in the bushes there, close to the ground, so i kept watching.
When i went outside to get on my bike & the Owl was still there, resting, with eyes closed, i called MARS to see what they said.
She thought this looked like head trauma, either hit a window or car or even flew into a Tree.
She suggested sending the Owl in.
So i went out on my bike & ran into a friend who said she*d bring her husband to help me.
i prepped the kennel with a towel inside & a blanket to put over top.
i took the net & a towel & gave each of them a towel.
i told them they were to distract the Owl while i did the capture.
The fella did a great job,  he went right into the bush & got the Owl*s attention.
The Owl looked at me, but was, like, okay, i*ve seen you, but who is this guy?
i quickly realized the Owl wasn*t going to move so i dropped the net & just went in & put the towel over the head & grabbed them by the feet.
The towel came off the head & the Owl looked at me & clacked.
It was a short distance to the kennel & the Owl went right in.
A fella i have called on before agreed to take the Owl to MARS!
What a relief for me.
Fortunately my friend suggested taking some fotos.
i hadn*t thought to do so.
When i had the Owl in hand, i could see that the left wing had an open area over the first joint & i could see right down to the bone!
i felt this Owl was in very poor shape & needed help fast.
Warned the fella that the Owl might not even make it to town alive, but the Owl was alive when he brought them in to MARS!

september 21 2020 10:30 - injured Barred Owl

link to my fotos page -

wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 11:28:54 AM »
Drat, just got off the phone with MARS.
They had to euthanize the Owl.
She said the tendon was exposed in the wing & feathers kept falling out.
They think this was electrocution...
wooohoooo!