Author Topic: HIP Trip June 2020  (Read 313 times)

Offline nan2945

HIP Trip June 2020
« on: January 23, 2020, 02:39:55 PM »
I've posted on my fb page - and have heard some interest --- Patricia Duke, Barbara Swanston are def interested -
Julie Trail have expressed interest.  I have gotten interested in returning in part because I know my husband would love hornby ---- I'm not sure where to go from here ---HELP

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
Re: HIP Trip June 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
Hi Nan!  What are the dates that you are proposing for the HIP 2020 trip?

(I pulled your post into a new topic for 2020)

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:23:35 AM »
Definitely interested :nod2 if dates and accommodations can work. :eclove

Offline nan2945

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
Well - I'm not into organizing - but I'm thinking June 1- 7th - staying somewhere --- Cali says she'll be there June 1-3
Deb in May----Peppy, Mishi, maybe my friend Debbie - of course the hubster, Barbara are all pretty interested -

Jeav - any suggestions about how to move forward?  I think I'll call Tom's cabins and see what's available - but the more suggestions the better

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:33:20 AM »
The last two  years I was unable to go, and the two before that I didnt stay in a B&B. Maybe someone who has been there more recently, knows what is still operating and reasonably priced. We would need to pin something down sooner than later,  if hoping to stay  at same location so we could do pot lucks etc., or there are the cabins that Jeff and Dawn like, which  would at least keep us within shouting distance .

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
From Nan -  she has reserved Tom's cabins for June 1-8.  She wanted all to know that planning has begun and wanted to see who else is in.   
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:56:14 PM »

Offline auroradawn

• HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »
This is from Nan, she posted in our regular chat today that she is unable to access the forum & wants people to be informed:

Due to the current uncertainty the group that was planning to go to Hornby the first week of June have now decided to cancel.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 03:25:07 AM »
my province (Ontario)  has ordered social distancing and  suggests stay home if at alll possible  - just go out for necessities like food
I will not be going  on any trip this year.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:51 AM »
Hornby has asked that visitors  not visit until further notice
https://www.facebook.com/download/207098970561606/Press%20ReleaseHornbyFinal%20%28JH%29.pdf?av=1618705783&eav=AfbJ1ndWh48VIX2ix_c_Yr23xJffT4nfPsFNXBdu8CD-ZWPdbaQ1hUinJuSehGAjIUE&hash=AcoFipCQrQPjFB0h

PRESS RELEASE
MEDIA CONTACT/ADDITIONAL INTERVIEWS/IMAGES: Karen Ross – Economic Enhancement Officer karen@hiceec.org 1-250-335-1455
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 21, 2010
Hornby & Denman Islands Requests a Break from Visitors… for now.
Hornby & Denman Islands Requests a Break from Visitors… for now.

Hornby Island, BC. - Associations and governmental officials on Hornby and Denman Islands have united in respectfully requesting that visitors and residents observe the guidance of BC Health Office and the Canadian Government, issued on March 19th, to self-isolate at home and to reduce all non-essential travel and movement.  Hornby Island, known to many as a major tourism destination, is bracing for the full impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Most restaurants, resorts, and businesses have chosen to close down to safeguard local at-risk residents.  However, with the nearest hospital two ferry rides away, an outbreak of COVID-19 would pose a particular challenge for Hornby residents.  The situation on neighbouring Denman Island is similar.  Denman Island Trustee, Laura Busheikin states “we have a particularly vulnerable population here, with almost 50% of our population over 55, compared to 25% in BC.  Please stay home”.  The presence of visitors and guests on the Islands would increase the strain on the local medical system and first responders and limit the communities’ ability to prevent the spread of the virus. Hornby Island is currently experiencing major capital investment with many projects underway.  HICEEC Economic Enhancement officer Karen Ross states that “Tourism is the engine that drives our local economy, our accommodation providers, artists, craftspeople, hospitality businesses are adaptable and industrious, and look forward to sharing the new changes to the Island with its’ visitor community when the pandemic eases.” The Hornby Island Short Term Rental Association (HISTRA) website says, “We understand the virus is likely to be part of society for some time to come, and in the coming weeks we will dedicate ourselves to consider new measures and guidelines to reduce the risk of CoVid19.”  Updates on the Hornby community's response to COVID-19 will be posted on www.HornbyIsland.com every 2 weeks following the March 21st announcement.  Hornby is still a beautiful island, and when the pandemic eases and the summer weather arrives, we will once again welcome visitors to our island.  Keep checking in, and keep us in your long-range plans! *          *          *          *          *        *         * This message is brought to you by the Hornby Island Economic Enhancement Corporation (HICEEC), and supported by the Hornby Island Residents and Ratepayers Association (HIRRA), Hornby Island Short Term Rental Association (HISTRA), the Comox Valley Regional District Area A Director Daniel Arbour, the Hornby Islands Trust Trustees Alex Allen and Grant Scott, and Denman Island Trustees Laura Busheikin and David Critchley.

Attached images: “Helliwell - Aileen Fearman.jpg” Location: Helliwell Provincial Park Credit: Aileen Fearman “SSP_HORNBYISLAND_20160715_0170-Edit-1.jpg” Location: Mt. Geoffrey Provincial Park Credit: Mountain Bike BC