Author Topic: Deb's Transport, Transfer and Release Station 2019-2020  (Read 1730 times)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: Deb's Transport, Transfer and Release Station 2019-2020
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
February 2020

I got a call from our Rehab director that a Red-tail that I picked up in November from right here on the edge of town was ready to be released.  Sunday the volunteer transporter stopped here to give me the bird,  I called the lady that reported the injured bird and she was unavailable.  Well I decided to go to the area and let her go anyways.   When I drove to the area there were few kids playing on the nearby playground and I decided to go an ask them if they wanted to see something really cool.
 They were all excited,  they came over to my car and as I got the box out they were asking all sorts of questions about the box.  I got my gloves on and told them to stand away from the box while I got out the surprise.   I got her out and was able to show about 8 kids this lovely female Red-tali Hawk.  One gal was there when we picked up this injured bird and she remember how hurt it was.  The hawk had a broken wing and also an abrasion on her breast.  She was all healed up and ready to go.
 We got everyone in position so they could watch her fly free.  Then the time came and the kids all counted down and we let her go,  that sure was special.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=razwuyvrhHA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=razwuyvrhHA</a>
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »
March went by and nothing exciting, which is good.  April is now baby season and of course Great Horned Owls are the early nesters.
 We have had some strong winds these last few days.  This causes some issues with nest going down or babies falling out of the nest.  Thank goodness people still got out for walks and found the little owlets.  The ones I had were all different ages. 

This one is a little older,  the little one in the first photo really liked to snuggle with this one.  It missed his mom and sibblings

They are all doing well with their new parent

There are foster Mums at the Rehab center that will take them and raise them like their very own.  This way they grow up know what an owl looks like and can be released back to the wild.  Just as I got back from taking those 2 little ones I got a call about another owlet on the ground.  This one is a bit older yet.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2020, 09:47:01 PM »
Getting a call to go rescue is always interesting.  You just don't know what you are going to encounter.  My rescue the other day was one of those nights.  It started out as a call about an owl,  well when talking to the person he said it was pretty big.  I had a nice box in the car but i put in another a little bigger just in case it was a bigger bird.  My trip took about 40 minutes to get there and the man met me at the spot, it was a grain elevator and he had caught it and put it in the garage for the evening.  We go in and of course it is not where he put it,  oh gosh you know there could be many hiding places there.  I started looking and found it under the vehicle......  it was a baby great horned owl ( not very big and ferocious ).  I got the smaller box and the info recorded and just then I got another call from the Raptor Transport lady.  She wanted to know if I had got the owl and I told her I was just finishing up,  she was very happy I was there because another call had just came in and it was just a couple miles from my location.  I got the number of the person and called him,  he told me he had seen this bird in the same spot all day and was thinking something might be wrong.  He was not sure but it could be an eagle or a hawk,  it was located by a little pond by the highway.  Well with that information I left to go look at that location.  Now this is going through my mind -  if there is a bird no matter what it is the spare box I have is possibly not going to work.  Well I will cross that bridge when I get there.  I get to the spot, get out and start walking around the pond....  I get around to the other side and OMG I see the bird....  I see a large bird sitting in the grasses above the pond,  it looks at me but is still laying down.  It is an eagle about 3-4 (I am not sure of the age because I really don't see different ages).  I now have to go back to the car and get a towel to help with the capture and I see that my spare box is not going to work so I will have to come up with a plan.

Now to the rescue-  I get up to the eagle and it of course gets up and starts to flap and run away.  It is unable to fly due to a wing issue that i can see.  It now goes down the bank into the water.  I am not going in at this point, thought I would see how it was doing.  It is able to do the swim move and kinda walk cause the water is not that deep.  I wave the towel and yell to get it across the water.  Once it got across and came up on the bank I ran over to it and it is now very wet and can't move very fast,  it went on its back and of course put it talons out to protect itself and attack me.  That is when the towel comes in,  i throw the towel on it and grab the feet.  I now have the bird and get it all under control and back to the car.  Now a trucker stops to see if I need help,  he thought I had car trouble... he looks at what I have and realized that I have a big bird.  He was in awe at seeing an eagle so close.  I ask if he would have anything in his truck that could hold an eagle,  no such luck.  Now we need to come up with a plan.  I have another towel so we wrap it up and the other towel is wrapped around the feet.  I had the back seat cleared and a blanket on the seat,  I placed the eagle in the seat and he helped get the seat belt around the eagle and secured for a little trip.  I was going to go into the nearest town and see if I could find a place that would have a large box to transfer it to.  I was lucky to find a man that was on the fire dept and he had a box at the station that we could get the eagle into.  Now I feel better and can drive home. 

Once home the eagle is in a nice quiet place and I can take care of the owlet,  I had set out some food before I left so the little one could have some food.  Now it is time that I can eat....  What an adventure for the evening.

What a cute owlet

Not very happy with me but at least we could get to a place to get help.

At the Raptor Rehab center it was checked over and blood work done,  lead levels were low and the injured wing had a very large bruise with swelling around the elbow.  Hope for a speedy recovery.  I sure would like to have a chance to release this one.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 10:04:15 PM »
To follow up with the rescue transport of the eagle and owlet, I had a chance to take them to the hospital center the next morning.  While we were tending to the eagle we looked over at the box with the little owl.  That was so cute we took  photos.

I think the box label was so funny as he was peeking out looking for us.  I don't really think he was as ferocious as the Kraken from the movie.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »
Great Horned Owls nest early and thus begins the baby season.  The little owls can get blown out of their nest with some of these strong winds.
 sometimes as they get a bit older they may get out of the nest and then fall and last they are close to flying and get out on the branches and fall.  If they are old enough and on the ground parents will still take care of them and they are also good climbers.  So I had a variety of youngsters that I rescued.

this one the parent was around so I put it back up in the tree.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »

Beautiful winged one!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »
Was given a call about an owl who may have got rolled by a mower cutting weeds along the road ditch.  That didn't sound like a very good situation, preparing for the worst I took off to get the owl.  I was called by the family and they had picked it up and had it in a crate.  Well that sounded better, they also told me it was a very small owl (maybe a screech owl).  Now going through my mind is why is an owl out at this time of the afternoon ( 4 pm ).  It may have been hurt during the night and was just seen now by the mower person and then took a dive into the weeds again.  When I arrived she took me to the crate and oh my gosh what a sorry looking Great Horned Owl.  It was wet and was all messed up with these sticker things called Fox Tails.  It couldn't move if it wanted to. The lady and I spent almost 2 hours at her place trying to remove as many as we could and in a way to save the feathers.  At home it got a meal and some rest.  Saturday I was able to do some more work with removing the stickers by using a spray bottle to moisten the areas that were really stuck.  After working on those stickers I had it in a box in the garage to rest, I went out to check on it and give it some food late in the evening and...........  the box was empty.  Oh boy - so I looked around in the garage, under the cars and didn't see it.  I went and shut off the lights and got a flashlight and started looking around.  Yeah I saw the glowing eyes ever so watchful, sitting on one of our kayaks.  I got my gloves and was able to get a hold of it and back to the box.  I guess its able to fly now the wings are able to move better.  Got its breakfast and closed the flaps again on the box.  This time I put a small towel over the top.  This morning I went out to give it some food, opened the door and there it was sitting on the hood of the truck.  Well I am glad it is feeling better, looking better also.  He got a mouse and back in the box so we could meet the nest transporter.  They will get a few more of the stickers and let him get some extra flying time before he gets to come back out to the nest area.

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2020, 02:27:05 PM »

Wow Deb.... He does not look particularly happy about the situation he is in!  Love the sweet face coming up over the kayak!!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."