Author Topic: Little Tribune Bay Nest - 2018-2019 Season  (Read 114 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Little Tribune Bay Nest - 2018-2019 Season
« on: November 10, 2018, 08:46:57 AM »

Little Tribune Bay is a lovely spot!
A sandy beach with rocky shores on either side, a big River that comes pouring down through the beach when the rains get going in the fall & winter, & fronted by lovely grassy farm fields that sometimes have Cows grazing, & usually have Canada Geese as well.
The beach is clothing optional!
In spite of the people action in this territory, there is an Eagle Nest here.
There are very few large Trees down there, so the Nest Tree is relatively easy to spot.
i*m not sure if the pair here had Eaglets last year.
It*s gotten a bit confusing in this territory.
You can read last season*s topic, & there are links to all the previous seasons here.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Little Tribune Bay Nest - 2018-2019 Season
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »

Yesterday we were driving past Little Trib on our right & on our left at the bottom of Slade Rd. in the field right at the road was a Red-tailed Hawk!
At the All About Birds site, the map indicates our area as breeding only, not year round.
i*ve been sort of curious whether Red-tailed Hawks live on Hornby all winter or not.
Going by my fotos, i have seen them june, october & january in this same area, & a pair in january in this same area.
wooohoooo!

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
Cool!

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 02:27:00 AM »
My guess is that  there are some year round although maybe  not common.  Here we have Pileated Woodpeckers year round - lots of them - and yet Petersen and Audobon tell me they are only year round in California.  Maybe global warming?

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »
I recorded one at Ford Cove and another person saw one - possibly the same bird - over Downes Point at the Christmas Bird Count 2 years ago. I also regularly see one above Downes Point when I go prune fruit trees there, usually in February.

Looking through my flickr postings, I get this... A very incomplete record, just the sightings where I got publishable photos, but it gives you some idea:
November 15 2014, Downes Point
December 15 2014, Hidden Beach
December 24 2014, Ford Cove Hill
March 21 2015, Nest 3 territory (carrying twig)
December 31 2015, Phipps Point
March 16 2017, French Farm
January 16 2018, Shingle Spit
July 14 2018, Ford Cove hill (adult and 2 fledglings)

My guess is that those range maps are not always 100% accurate, with or without global warming. Pileated Woodpecker year-round only in California? They've been eating our winter apples since forever.  :eclove

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
I've just looked at the local Comox Valley checklist; it lists Red-tailed Hawks as 'fairly common', year-round. For sure they would be more common on Vancouver Island farmland than here, but you get the idea.

Oh, and Pileated Woodpeckers have the same status, Jeav. Except it seems to be the other way around: from Christmas Count data I have seen so far, we get more of them on the small islands than on Vancouver Island.

I think those continent-wide maps, by their very nature, have to paint habitats with a very large brush.