Author Topic: 2018  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:01 PM »
Thank goodness you are there and respond to these wildlife emergencies, booni.  Even though it's highly stressful, you go ahead and do what you can to help birds and animals in need.  I wish some of us could be there to help you.  Thank you for letting us know about these challenges.

:heart
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »

A Canada Goose with a drooping left wing is spotted on the beach to the left of Grassy Point.
Read the story here.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »

i wish i had taken a foto first, but i was home late from working & just started doing my dishes when i got a call from a neighbour that they had guests sitting in their car on their driveway & that a Buck was right there in front of them, terribly tangled in the fish netting opening of the driveway, & could i come help?
Yikes.
Such a dangerous situation.
The Buck could kick us to pieces or gore us with his antlers.
If we had a Conservation Officer, they would just come & shoot him.
But we had to try.
i grabbed my Dziadziu*s (Polish Grandfather*s) old heavy metal carpet cutting scissors that my Mum gave to me because she knew i liked old things & just ran out the door.
First i read ajl*s suggestions from the first time i had had to deal with a situation like this.
Deer can die of capture myopathy, a deadly condition caused by their terrible fright.
Collect three people, one to cover the head, one to stop the thrashing, one to cut.
& off we went to the scene, only a block away.
i slowly walked into the driveway & was met by the daughter of the woman who called me.
& there was the poor Buck, a young one with velvet antlers, terribly entangled in the fish netting that they use to block Deer coming in & at the same time easy to open to let a car through.
The rest of the yard is enclosed in metal fencing, this was the only piece still in place, & usually they put a board across the bottom so that Deer don*t try to go under.
But, they were expecting guests so the board was removed.
It just figured.
The Buck had tried to go under to get at the apples & pears & vegetable garden & gotten terribly entangled.
The last time this happened, i approached the Buck to throw a blanket over his head & he bolted, dragging the whole mess with him.
A neighbour had grabbed the trailing mess & the Buck had tipped over on the road.
So it was then pretty easy to cover his head with a blanket, as he was lying down & just exhausted.
This time, the Buck kept thrashing back & forth, pulling the netting as far as it would go & leaping from side to side & up & down to try to free himself.
i thought he was going to pull the fence down & then drag the whole mess away with him before we could help.
We each got a blanket & my brave helper was able to inch closer & closer to the Buck until she was able to get the blanket over his head.
Yay!
But then he went back to bolting side to side & thrashing & we had to get out of the way fast.
We kept at this tactic, her coming from one direction to distract, me from the other, then leaping out of the way when he went back to thrashing, which was terrible to watch.
The more he tried to escape the more entangled he got & the tighter the netting became.
Finally he tripped himself up & we were able to run in & blanket his head twice over.
But then he would leap up again & start leaping from side to side while we jumped out of the way & could only watch.
Once he got down on the ground again my helper was able to hold the antlers to try to keep him down & also to keep the blanket over his eyes.
The first priority was to cut the netting off the jaws.
His poor mouth was strangled closed & he could barely breathe.
i could see his tongue sticking out & his lovely grinding teeth with the foam of trying to breathe coming & going.
i actually physically lay on top of his chest to try to free his mouth.
He was so hot!
& he had ticks running about, yuck.
But he leapt up again, scraping my back with his hind leg before i could jump back out of the way while he thrashed back & forth again.
We enlisted the male guest to help us.
i warned him about how dangerous this was but he was still willing to help.
My female helper actually managed to grab the blanket covered antlers & she wrestled the Buck to the ground like you see in the rodeo!
How impressive!
It worked perfectly.
She was so brave & calm!
So, she was in charge of keeping the head covered & holding him by the antlers.
The fella took charge of restraining the legs.
& good luck with that.
The Buck kept leaping up then thrashing from side to side & luckily so far we*d managed to get out of the way.
i peeled the blanket back from the jaw.
It was terrible.
The netting was strangling the jaw closed making it very difficult to breathe.
& the Buck was in a mad panic.
We don*t know how long he had been entangled like that.
It was the guests who discovered him.
The big metal scissors i have are brilliant.
The netting is very strong twisted plastic, but the scissors cut through very easily.
& the pointy end is perfect for getting underneath the strangling lines.
i freed his jaw, only to realize that his lower jaw was strangled as well.
i think he jumped up & thrashed at least once before i could free his jaw completely.
Phew, now he can at least breathe.
My wrassling helper kept the blanket off his jaw so that he could now breathe in the open air, free of the blanket.
Now to work on the antlers.
The velvet was bleeding from all the thrashing & the netting was so tight i had a hard time poking the scissors underneath.
But the scissors came through once again.
i was able to free the one badly entangled antler & then move to the second.
At last the netting was pulled free & away by the mother who was standing by helping.
i warned the wrassler & the man that this was a dangerous situation.
The Buck would leap up & perhaps crash into us.
We needed to jump away & bring the blankets with us without getting hurt!
When the Buck jumped up we had to jump away & take the blankets with us.
The Buck went away a few paces & stood there trembling, then ran into the garden.
Drat.
We decided to leave him there to recover in peace rather than stress him further by chasing him out.
A small young Deer was in there with him anyway.
We thanked the fella, he said THAT WAS AWESOME!, & high fived my wrassler.
i can*t believe we came out of that unscathed.
It seemed so impossible.
i went home kind of whizzing from the adrenaline, back to my dishes & dinner.
Waiting to hear back about how the Buck fared.
He will be easy to recognize with his scraped bloody antlers.
Last time we did this years ago, the fella was spotted still alive & well in the neighbourhood.
So, let*s hope this fella survived.
A great big beautiful Buck was hit by a car nearby & lying dead in the ditch.
Hopefully this fella will survive.
wooohoooo!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
Oh My Goodness Booni !!!!!  what a tale that was.  Great job and what a success.
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »
Holding my breath until the end and shivers what brave people you Hornbytes are!!!  :eceek :eclove

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 11:52:14 AM »
OMG, booni, what a tale!  You are very brave! How about a photo of Dziadziu's old heavy metal carpet cutting scissors?  They (and you!) should be immortalized.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
Wowee! Two gutsy gals and a brave guy!  :ecsmile   Persistence pays and of course having the knowledge, experience and tools make the impossible possible.  :nod2 Thank you again for what you do! That was truly heroic.  :thumbup:

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
What an amazing story!  Well done HEART  :heart

Three very courageous and resourceful people - hope the poor young buck recovers, and hope there were no serious injuries  - to the deer and/or the people.   Thank you for being there for him. 

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:21 PM »

Update!

Hi Barb,
He hung around the fenced section of the yard for a while. He seemed ok, I saw him walking the fence line looking for a way out. We just left all the gates open and did not go down to that end of the yard so as to give him time to recover and find his own way back out.
When we checked at around 7 there was no sign of him, other than some piles of droppings.
I will keep an eye out for him around the neighbourhood. As you said, he should be easy to spot with the velvet off his antlers in places.
I got the idea to wrestle him down like that from watching Dr. Pol, a vet show on tv. It is how he gets cattle he is working on that he needs to have lie down to lie down. He turns their head until they go down.
Thanks so much for being able to help us get him free. I am glad that it worked out all right. Is your back ok from where he kicked you?
Thanks again for your help and bravery!
Cheers
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »

Here ya go, Nancy!
On a one foot square floor tile.

august 12  2018 19:27 - a photo of Dziadziu's old heavy metal carpet cutting scissors

wooohoooo!

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 08:04:38 PM »
Those are some mighty big scissors, booni!  Thanks for the photo and scale.

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
WOW!!! You people are the greatest!!! Thanks to all involved with freeing that deer and how brave you all were. I know that deer is grateful, even if he didn't show it!!!!  Thanks HEART, your the greatest!!!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 01:25:38 AM »
Wow is right!  You lead an adventureous life, booni!  Glad you had helpers who stayed with you until the buck was freed.  Hopefully, he'll recover and go on to do better things.

:thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »

Marielle called me just when it was getting dark.
People had been seeing a lone Seal pup down at Ford Cove & had waited til just before dark to call Saltspring about them.
Marielle called me to ask me to go down there with a tub to meet the people who had been watching the pup.
Drat!
i*d already had my shower, i was sitting wet in my towel, it would be dark by the time i got down to Ford Cove, my Seal pup tub is buried in my wood shed under a pile of sawdust bags & rescue kennels.
Sigh...
It just figures.
But i can*t say no to  Marielle.
So off we went.
Ford Cove was quiet, but i could hear the concert going on for the Hornby Festival over at Olsen Farm.
Fortunately the docks are well-let.
i went all the way to the end of one finger, then the other, twice.
i wasn*t seeing ANYBODY with a cellphone, looking for me.
At one point i saw people on the floating dock.
Their flashlight caught my eye.
But when i stood there & watched, they disappeared.
After 45 minutes i went home.
Turns out Marielle had left me a message just after i left.
The people who had been talking to her quit answering their phone.
Perhaps they were reluctant when Marielle wanted them to capture the pup.
i am thinking that these were the people i saw, & i felt like they*d been hiding from me.
Sigh..
Back home & into my nightgown for the night.
i had to work the next day, so i told Marielle i was gone all the next day.
So it turned out that she called Aaron & he went down & found the pup on the back of a trimaran.
Norm landed at Grassy Point to pick up this pup & bring them to Saltspring.
Aaron also dealt with the next pup, who i believe was at Phipps Point?
Norm also came for that one & landed at Grassy Point to pick them up.
i dealt with the next pup.
i*d been on the phone for hours & had tons of work to do that day!
Just as i was heading out the door the phone rang so i grabbed it.
It was Marielle...
i think she could hear the dread in my voice.
But she takes no prisoners!
There was a pup that needed help & she wanted ME to be the one to bring them in.
You couldn*t*ve called me at a worse time.
A family was down at Heron Rocks & had found a Seal pup who was badly in need of rescue.
i was to run down there & meet them.
They had a cell phone but i don*t.
i called them to figure out their location before i left.
They were new to the Island & did their best to describe where to find them.
i roared down there.
i had to park a good ways away from the beach because there are campers this time of year & i am not allowed to walk through there.
So i went the back way, lugging the big tub with me.
i got down to the beach & the tide was way out.
There were at least ten groups of people out exploring Toby Island.
How was i to find my people?
i told them i*d be wearing a blue denim dress & i*d be carrying a big blue tub.
Someone started waving & i waved back.
Yay.
But they were a long way out & i had a long way to walk.
Partway out there the fella came out to meet me & relieved me of the cumbersome tub.
Yay!
There was a Mum & Dad & two kids that had been keeping an eye on the pup & good thing because i*m not sure how i would have found them otherwise.
Poor fella had a big gash on their head.
i didn*t waste a moment, i scooped the little one up right away to pop them straight into the tub.
i forgot to cover the head & the little guy took a snap at my face!
He had teeth!
& there was a nasty odour to him i have never smelled before.
He was the snappiest pup i have ever dealt with.
The fella picked up the tub & the lovely family trundled off with me back up to the car.
It had all gone so well i got snapped right out of the bad mood i had gotten myself into about why today? why right now?
i just hoped i would get home in time to finish my work in time.
i had called Marielle on the mother*s cell phone & she had lined up Jim Funk to meet me at Ford Cove to take the pup to the next volunteer at Deep Bay on Vancouver Island.
i got there & he wasn*t there!
Tick tick tick, i thought he would be waiting for me.
But he soon showed up & off he went while i ran home to get to work!
i*d made a huge mess digging out the tub from my shed, which was one of the many things i needed to do in the short amount of time i had left.

Here are the first two reports i got back from Marielle about the pup.
She hasn*t answered me about him since.
Gotta bug her one more time about this pup.
She couldn*t believe how feisty & snappy i described him as.
Once in her care, he wasn*t even lifting his head.
& he is a he.

Hi Barb
The pup is in critical condition. I have him on an IV right now again. Extremely emaciated, lethargic. Very bad shape. Thank you so so much for what you did yesterday. I am so so grateful to you.

Marielle

Hi
He is a male, the gash looked to me like what a bird would do. It then got infected, like an abscess.
Poor little thing. I am surprised he even tried to bite considering how critical he is. He is not even lifting his head up. High fever last night, fighting a bad infection.

Fingers crossed...

Marielle

The fourth pup was spotted in my neighbourhood, phew, at Grassy Point!
i*d been at work & Marielle had called & left a message.
Fortunately, the people were still down there, so i went to meet them.
They*d found the pup in a tide pool on the point & had moved him to the gravelly bay into the water, which is where he was slurping about in the water when he was pointed out to me.
i was ready to nab him but one of the women had spotted a pink umbilical cord on this one.
The pup seemed in good shape.
So according to DFO rules, we had to wait 24 hours in case the Mum had gotten scared off & would return.
Marielle & i both had the feeling that this pup needed rescue, but we had to wait.
Next morning i had to work & the pup was reported as still down there, but when i went down to find them i could not.
Aaron & i both scoured the area, he went over again all the areas i had already scanned, but we weren*t able to find the pup.
i spent the whole afternoon, then Aaron took over.
What is frustrating is that Marielle insists that the pup must be there.
They don*t go far from where they are first spotted.
But we aren*t finding or hearing them.
But Aaron looked again first thing yesterday morning & again last evening.
So far, no pup.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »

Heron Rocks Seal pup update.
It was what i suspected.

I lost him Barb.I am so sorry.
Marielle