HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
March 23, 2018, 01:47:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Welcome to the other nests of Hornby Island... (Includes map.)  (Read 178 times)
Friend of HEGPS

« on: January 13, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »

Last time I mapped the eagle nests of the island was after the 2014 nesting season. You can find that map and accompanying notes here.

So the stats on this new map are all brand-new, as is the (very low-tech) map itself. The old one was all riddled with pinholes and nothing stuck to it anymore. The street names are not as visible on the new map, but it shouldn't matter, the purpose being general information rather than precise locations.

This is a temporary photo, taken indoors with flash and every moveable lamp I own. When the weather improves I'll replace it with another photo taken with natural light; the legibility will be more even.

Click to enlarge, and click again to enlarge even more.

The information is from my observations and Booni's, and the reports of some of the kind human neighbours of these nests. I cross-checked my field notes with the postings on the forum.

In all 3 years there were 26 active nesting territories, defined as territories where a pair of adult eagles is present and defending the area.

In 2017 there were 22 eaglets observed, including one rescued (Wiig). There were 2 fatalities: in the Cam nest and at Heron Rocks.

In 2016 there were 15 eaglets observed, including one rescued (Nest 7). There were two fatalities, one at Nest 7 and one at Nest 9.

In 2015 there were 26 eaglets observed, including 2 rescued (Nest 20, Lunar Rock). No fatalities that we know of that year.

Nest 3 remains its usual mysterious self. There is a pair keeping ownership of the area but we still don't know where the nest is and if it has produced any offspring.

The Brigantine Nest's status is uncertain. We have seen no offspring for 5 years. Someone reported a new nest site last summer but I couldn't find it. There seemed to be some material added to the old nest. Some changes in ownership made it less easy to observe the eagles.
See the threads of each individual nesting territory for details.

United States United States

« Post / Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »

Wren, thank you for posting this map and for working on an update.   nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 10:22:40 AM »

FABULOUS, wren, thank you!

United States United States

« Post / Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

Thank you Wren!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default