HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
January 17, 2018, 03:22:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heron Rocks Nest - 2018 season  (Read 57 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: January 03, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »

This topic is about the Heron Rocks nest and its territory.
Here's what Booni had to say about this beautiful area:

Heron Rocks is one of my favourite spots on all of Hornby Island, though i probably say that about everywhere on Hornby!
There is a very cool camping co-op here.
If i ever took a holiday, i would spend it camping here.
This is a great spot to see Eagles, Sea Lions surfacing & swimming past, Orca, you name it.
There are a lot of gorgeous Garry Oaks here, & in the Spring the wild flowers are stupendous.
The ancient First Nations presence is palpable, here.
The earth is black & full of midden shells.

I usually include postings about Norris Rocks, a collection of nearby rocky islets, in this topic as well.

Last year there was one surviving eaglet on this nest. I found a second one on the ground, a few hundred feet from the nest; some of its flight feathers were still partially sheathed.
Click here to view last year's postings and a link to the previous year.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:45 PM »

December 31, I was invited to go boating to Norris Rocks with two local families.

We counted 9 eagles circling on a thermal between Heron Rocks and Norris Rocks.
On Norris Rocks themselves, maybe a dozen eagles.
I was lending my camera and binoculars around so people could see, but I or someone else took these photos at some point.

Wildlife assortment, live and let live: an eagle, a Steller Sea Lion and a whole pile of little shore birds, mostly Black Turnstones and Surfbirds but possibly, just possibly a Rock Sandpiper or even two (low down and toward the right, a bit smaller than the other birds, yellow legs so they're not Dunlins).
Norris Rocks, December 31, 2:40 pm

The same eagle with two more, with that sea lion now crashed down for a snooze in the foreground and a few of the shore birds. The grassy slope of Olsen Farm in the background visible now - our boat moving to the right.

More eagles... plus the heads of two more sea lions. This time Heron Rocks buildings in the background, looking closer than they really are.

I find it hard to take very good sea lion pictures, but I like this one. Another Steller, as were most of the sea lions here.

(Click any picture to enlarge.)
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:30:58 AM »

great  photos Wren  thumbup and I love the colours  love - especially that last one of the sea lions  nod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently