Author Topic: Ford Cove nest - 2017-18  (Read 1801 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Ford Cove nest - 2017-18
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
February 11, 2:50 pm

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
Great sighting, wren!   :thumbup:
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:14:46 PM »
I went to take a peek at the new nest site; unsure until then which of their three nest sites this pair was going to use.

I just had time for a quick peek before being warned off.
I didn't even see anyone take off, but here was an eagle flying around, making soft huck-huck-huck calls... I know by now what this means: get away from my nest!
Lots of new branches; some of them arranged in a way humans would describe as messy.
April 2, 5:35 pm

Turned around as I retreated and found the adult perched atop the nest tree.
As soon as I turned, he or she took off again.

The huck-huck call and the huck-huck pose: beak pointing down.

Okay, okay, I'm leaving! So sorry! :zooooom
Worried that I've frightened that one off a nest with eggs. I don't think they do those calls unless there is someone to protect.
I'm not planning to return until eaglets are big enough to be immune to marauding crows and ravens.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
Back on the trail, out of the eagles's zone. I could see some fly-bys through the trees, at least 3 eagles flying around and calling for a while. Then whoever it was moved on, and soon I could hear the Shingle Spits making the same calls to possibly the same visitors.

Meanwhile, two kinds of woodpeckers hammering nearby at the same time. I never got a good view of the Hairy, but did get a peek at the Pileated.
April 2, 6 pm

And then this cute little one... A Brown Creeper.
6:30 pm

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
Lower Ford Cove trail this time, far below the nest tree.
This youngster was below the trail, between me and the water. Very little cropping on those photos. Tricky to get a clear view between tree branches without spooking off this visitor.

April 14, 6:57 pm

6:58

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
Just a little further along, Mama Goose on a nest.
This was during my monthly seabird count, and she was directly below my last counting station!

April 14, 7:09 pm 

She got up off her eggs so I was really worried that I would have to leave and give up on completing my survey. Otherwise she might lose her eggs to a marauding crow.
Just 4 eggs... an incomplete clutch? there was another goose mother on another rock a bit further along too.

But as soon as I sat down she returned to her nest.
So I was able to stay... And from there I was able to see all kinds of lovely birds out there, including 135 Western Grebes on a migration stop. Too far away for photos unfortunately.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:27 AM »
Very nice find, wren!     :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 03:23:06 AM »
For a tricky situation you sure got  great shots Wren - as always! :thumbup: Very nice and thank yo for sharing :ecsmile

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
Time to check this nest again.

On the way there, near the overlook, I heard a brief rusty-hinge call and between the branches I spotted these two eagles, perched on a treetop on the escarpment: right at eye level for me.
At first I thought this was one of the Ford Cove eagles on the right, having an unusual visit with offspring maybe? Strange, at nesting time...
But looking at the photos I now see that the eagle on the right is actually a sub-adult.

Ford Cove overlook, June 22, 3:50 pm

The younger one's perch looks almost nest-ish, but not quite.

Click on the photo to examine the youngest one's beautiful feather patterns...

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
Approaching the nest... No sounds at all. The eagle pair certainly seemed to be on eggs when I last visited.

Things seem confused... The nest is too small, and there's a big tumbled pile of branches on the level below.  :eceek
Looks like half of the nest has tumbled down!
June 22,

At the top is the level I photographed earlier this year, with the diagonal branch going off to the right. The top now looks very tidy but it's only half its previous size. The side facing away from us is gone. Below is a jumble of branches without a pattern, with lichens and moss all mixed in.

Here's another view of the bottom pile. At first I thought this was the nest. But it's just a big mess of branches.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 01:48:57 AM »
Old nests seem to be vulnerable to storms. We saw this in Ontario this year also. And there is an Osprey nest on the hill behind us which  was upended in a storm. The parents flew around for days calling and having a fit. Hydro was called and the workers put the nest back in place.  The parents have been sitting in nest and there is at least one egg that survived.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
Interesting story about your Osprey nest, Jeav!
This eagle nest is only in its second year, though... So being an old nest is not an issue here. It may have been for Nest 7 last year. Hard to tell. I'm always amazed to see most nests surviving our big wind storms.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »
Meanwhile, nearby, someone else had a successful nesting season.

A family of Brown Creepers: at least two fledglings, plus an adult who was feeding them white roundish morsels found in crevices of tree bark - maybe the egg cases of spiders?
I couldn't tell the adult(s) and young apart unless they were either carrying food or begging for food.

Bench trail, June 22, 3:40 pm

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
Then another bird in the middle of them... This one capable of walking down a trunk!

Creepers just walk up, foraging their way toward the top of a tree, then fly down to the bottom of the next tree and start walking up again.
This bird can walk both up and down... A Red-breasted Nuthatch.
Bench trail, June 22, 3:43 pm