Author Topic: Tralee Point Nest - 2017-2018 season  (Read 671 times)

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Tralee Point Nest - 2017-2018 season
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »

The Tralee Point Nest is in a LOVELY location!
At the end of a road that is quiet but for all the people coming & going at Sea Breeze Lodge.
It is a bit hard to see into the Nest from the end of the road but i bet it is visible from the beautiful pebbly beach below.
The actual Tralee Point is off to your left when you go down to the beach.

You can see what happened in this neighbourhood last year, & also find the link to the previous season
here.
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
Re: Tralee Point Nest - 2017-2018 season
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »

i got the heads up that there was another dead Harbour Porpoise washed up on the beach, this one headless.
The last one was late august on Whaling Station Bay & they got dragged out to sea by a boat before i heard about them & before i could go have a look.
This one was down the path to Tralee Point/Pebble Beach, just to the right a bit.
First thing i discovered is that they were NOT headless.
The skin is pulled away from the skull but it is still there as is that very interesting *beak*!
i have never seen one of these before.
i called the Marine Mammal Hotline & was referred to a fella i have been sending dead Sea  Lion fotos to.
He was very curious to see this animal.

october 4 2017 12:25 - dead Harbour Porpoise

The skull & *beak* are more visible in this foto.

A close-up of the head area.
That is the tongue sticking out on the left side there.

i asked to be informed as to what he thought about the body, what they were, how old they were, & what caused the death.

Hi Barb,

Looks like a young harbour porpoise to me. Lots missing. It would not be the same HP from August. With so much missing it is hard to know cause of death.

Thanks again,

Paul

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »

We went further down the beach after checking out the Porpoise & i spotted what was only the second Eagle i had seen since august, the other one being Em.
Perhaps feeding on the carcass?

october 4 2017 12:39 - adult Eagle

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/
wooohoooo!

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »
I went to check this nest about a week ago and found... Nothing. The nest seemed to have disappeared. I looked at the nest tree from various angles and only a few twigs of the old nest remained. I couldn't hear any eaglet sounds in the area either. I resolved to return and look from the beach side to find out more about what these eagles were up to.

Finally I made it out yesterday.
While I was photographing the Lunar Rock eaglet, I heard two adults in this territory... High and low.
One eagle was on a seaside perch. The other seemed to be further inland.
As I walked along the beach toward where I used to have a view of the old nest, I kept peering up through gaps in the tree cover.

I spotted what just seemed like a solitary eagle airing itself out at the top of a tree.
Took a few photos, looked for a different angle - tricky, on the rocks with the tide coming in... And realised that just below that eagle was... A new nest!
So here's the first photo I took... Seemed there was just the one eagle with wings cocked open, and beak open, trying to cool down at the end of this hot, hot day.
June 18, 8:29 pm

But click on the picture and look just below the eagle...
There's a little dark head looking up!
An eaglet!

And now look at the next photo... Slightly better view of the adult eagle... and... two fuzzy round shapes below maybe?
8:30

Now a little further down the beach... We get a better view of the adult... And of the new nest!
8:44

The eagle further down the beach was starting to huck-huck at me, plus the tide was coming in, so that's as far as I went last night.
I do believe this is quite close to the old nest tree. Also, the top of the tree is sawn off, so it must be close to a house. But I couln't find a view of it from the road when I returned up the trail.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »
 :thumbup: Good looking out!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »
Happy you found the nest, wren!   :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 02:45:00 AM »
 :thumbup: great eye Wren! And those eagles did a good job of finding a private hideaway!  :heart

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
Meanwhile, the eagle who had been perching near the shore went out and caught a fish!

July 18, 8:34 pm

Catch!!!

And now eating on the wing... Gaining elevation first...

Transferring the fish from talons to beak!

Not a very big fish... It will be gone in one gulp.

Flying back to perch.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 03:24:32 AM »
fabulous photo series there! :ecsmile