Author Topic: Winters' Nest - 2017 season  (Read 656 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Winters' Nest - 2017 season
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
This thread is for discussions and stories and pictures about Winters' Nest and its territory and the critters who live therein.

This nest is not named for a season; it is named to honour a Mr. Winters, may he enjoy peace and good health. Hence, Winters', not Winter's.

I found this nest in August 2014, after several attempts at finding something in this area over the years. There was one healthy eaglet standing in the nest. For the last two years the nest was occupied but I found no sign of an eaglet.

The nest is in a remote area of the island, among a jumble of seaside boulders and away from roads. Nearby is a creek that dries out most summers, Ford Creek. Downes Point separates the territory from that of the Dunlop Point pair.

Click here to see the postings from last year.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Winters' Nest - 2017 season
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
Today finally, time, tide and weather allowed a check of this territory.

The seas were still a bit rock'n'roll-ish, so I didn't take much in the way of pictures and I was too busy keeping my boat off the rocks to do much scanning of the area; but as I passed last year's nest I saw an adult eagle perched nearby; and soon a single set of screeps allowed me to confirm what I suspected from an earlier visit... One eaglet was nearby; and not on the nest.

Not on the seaside nest, I should specify.
There seems to be at least one more nest closer to the cliff, west of the one I found two years ago; maybe even two! One of the nest neighbours did say that these eagles tend to move around.

I paddled on, as far as the Olsen Farm nest; on my return I heard that eaglet again but he or she remained invisible.

I'll post photos of the adult later on, if they do turn out.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Winters' Nest - 2017 season
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Winters' Nest adult...
July 28, 11:54 am