HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 20, 2018, 01:34:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lunar Rock nest - 2017 season  (Read 498 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: July 27, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »

This topic is for the nest we call Lunar Rock, after the otherworldly sculpted sandstone on its beach.

We still don't know exactly where this nest is; it is hidden in the forest on private land. But we hear the eaglets from the beach and see them when they fledge. All other information has been sketchy.

We first found out about this nest a few years ago when we were called on to rescue an eaglet who was 'camping' under the deck of a house... This eaglet became known as Decker.

It took us a while to sort this territory from its neighbour, Tralee Point.

I was not able to find any eaglets from this nest last year. The previous year, two eaglets hatched; one fledged successfully and one had to be rescued and sent to MARS for rehabilitation. This eaglet was successfully released later on.

Click here to see last year's posts, and a link to the previous year's.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »

After my visit to the Tralee Point nest, I continued down the beach to this territory, ready for the usual guessing games.

Happy day! I soon spotted this individual, perched on a branch right by the beach, and screeping away.
The calls suddenly became more urgent...
July 26, 4:48 pm

Stepping up the noise, fluffing up belly feathers...
One foot raised to start moving!

I only glimpsed the adult coming in.
He or she disappeared into the middle of the tree, and the eaglet followed.

Off the adult flew, before I could snap a picture.
The eaglet is somewhere in there... Just a bit of back feathers showing among... a pile of branches...
Whaaaat?? eek!

Is that a nest?
4:30

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

The eaglet flew off inland, so I approached. I doubted myself for a while, because the centre of the tree is so thick. But underneath were lots and lots of poop shots, and from one angle one could see it a bit better. Looks like the eagles fly in and out from the inland side, which is on private land so I wasn't able to view the tree from that angle.

But from here it does look nest-ish. The tree is second growth and by no means huge.
Here's hoping the eagles keep on using that site. Sure makes the ground obeservers' work easier!
July 26, 4:45 pm

Meanwhile, the eagle who delivered food has launched from a nearby perch and is huck-hucking at me, while also trying for some more prey in the shallows. Another sign that I'm close to their home... and a signal that I should get going and leave them in peace.

Oh, and I also saw the Spotted Sandpipers on the beach, back from nesting grounds again!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently