Author Topic: Tralee Point nest - 2016-2017 season  (Read 1069 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Tralee Point nest - 2016-2017 season
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
This topic is for stories of the Tralee Point nest and the critters living in its quiet neighbourhood.

Last year this nest produced one eaglet who seemed to hang on quite late.

To see posting from last year and a link to the previous year's postings, click here.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Tralee Point nest - 2016-2017 season
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »
This afternoon I went by this nest to see what I could see. I didn't have time to take a look from the beach, just from the end of the road.
Soon I heard that sound I love so much... "Screep, screep, screep!"
Calls came with some regularity but I could not catch sight of the eaglet. I rarely do from this viewpoint.

Still, nice to know that there is at least one eaglet here!

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:56:23 PM »
Good news, wren!   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
Yesterday I tried once again to get a view of the Tralee Point eaglet.
As soon as I arrived in the area, I could hear loud screeps! Great news! But still couldn't see anything from the road.

Walking down the path, almost directly under the nest, two things quickly became obvious...
The first is that this nest has taken a beating. It's never been very large or thick to start with, but now half of it seems to have vanished. I wonder if the same strong westerly winds that took away Nest 21 caused this damage also.

July 25, 3:37 pm

The second thing was that there was another eaglet voice... Lower, quieter, and coming from closer to shore.
A second eaglet, and that one is flying around!

The tide was low enough to provide a view from the beach.
Unfortunately the light was the wrong way.
A few minutes on the shore and a dark shape flew over the trees... The second eaglet! Who quickly landed... atop the nest tree!
If only I had still been up on the road, what a nice shot this would have made...
Still, with this so-so shot we can see for sure that there are two eaglets: one at the top, and one lower down just right of the trunk, between the two down-curved branches.

Back up the trail to the road, for a better view of the top eaglet. The other one is still invisible to me from that viewpoint, though sounds tell me he's still on his branch lower down.
4:01