HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 25, 2018, 09:20:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiig Nest - 2017 season  (Read 2993 times)
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »

OMG, love that photo of the face in the camera!!!!! love
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »

Great news, I am so glad they are doing this... love that photo of her... what a sweetie!!!
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 02:02:35 AM »

What a darling!! glad she has attitude - she will do well! Thanks to you Booni, Aaron, Steve, Reg and MARS!  thumbup love
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »

That's very good news, booni!    love    thumbup

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »

So, yesterday, first thing, Reg came over to Hornby on his day off with Steve Petrovic, MARS* special ops Tree climber, & his wife & we met them at the Wiig property.
i believe they came in Steve*s truck, with all his gear in the back, & you can see the Wiiglet in the covered kennel.
The woman in the striped shirt & the small man in the sandals are the property owners & remembered me right away from the Brig Eaglet rescue time.
They were both very welcoming.
Reg is looking at the climbing gear on the ground with his back to us in the white shirt.
Steve is the tall guy with the white hair behind the smaller property owner.

june 7 2017 10:48 - Wiig Eaglet re-nesting gang

Steve putting on his climbing gear while his wife gives him support.
He is very concentrated & focusing hard on what he is about to do.
He*s a big guy, 250 lbs., & with climbing gear, he will be hauling 300lbs up this huge Tree.

The Nest Tree is to the left, & you can see how huge the girth is.
He was wondering whether his loop line that he uses to climb would even go all the way around the trunk.
He says there are very few of these huge old Trees left on Vancouver Island, where he usually works.
The plan is to climb the smaller Tree to the right with the loop line, then transfer over to the Nest Tree higher up.
Look how huge that trunk is, to his left.

He quickly gets to this height.

i am going round & round looking up, trying to find a place to continue to photograph from.
The area around the Nest Tree is heavily Treed.
Yay!
But it is making it very difficult to watch Steve*s progress.
i ended up heading out to the road, where the best view of the whole Tree is.
There is no sign of Steve on the Nest Tree.
i go back closer to the base of the Tree & Steve is coming down!
He reached a spot that he just could not get past.
He studied & studied the area, trying to figure out a way around to continue up, but there was just no way.
He was severely disappointed, as was everyone else.
This would have been a dream come true to return the Wiiglet to her Nest & family.
At one point one then the other adult landed in their Babysitting Tree close by.
At the beginning of the climb i thought i heard another Wiiglet calling once from the Nest.
The owners say the adults are still bringing food in.
Reg planned to call OWL about their foster Eagle male, Curly.
He would bring up the Wiiglet as his own, & give her exposure to real Eagle behaviour.
The Wiiglet will get well fed & then conditioned to flight.
Meanwhile the parents will have one less mouth to feed & can feed up the remaining Wiiglet.
A very disappointing outcome, but in the long run, all will come out for the better.
Thankfully this young one was found at all, in all the Trees she may not even have been found, & the parents wouldn*t*ve been able to reach her to feed her on the ground.
She wasn*t walking & she sure wasn*t flying, so it is very lucky that she was spotted by the Wiig neighbour & brought to the attention of Aaron right away, who brought her to me & then into MARS the next day.

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
auroradawn
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »

Thank you for the update, booni.  Sad that this little one couldn't be re-nested, but we all know he/she will be well looked after.
amazedbyeagles

« Post / Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »

Thank you,Booni, for keeping an eye out for this eaglet!  Thanks also to the tree climber for his mighty effort!  Amazing photos of the trees!  We'll all hope for a healthy outcome for the Wiiglet in foster care!   love
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »

Thank you for the update and for your loving heart, booni.   love

Sorry re-nesting didn't work out, but she can be fostered well and hopefully returned to Hornby. 

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Donnae
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »

Thanks Booni for the update... disappointing but understandable... that is one huge tree. Much appreciated that an attempt was made by Steve, I am sure all were disappointed.  Hopefully the fostering of the Wiiglet will do the trick. Hope they will keep us posted on the progress.  Again thank you Booni and thank you to the rest of the gang also.
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently