Author Topic: Nest 6-7 - Savoie Farm - 2017 season  (Read 6488 times)

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Nest 6-7 - Savoie Farm - 2017 season
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 08:04:03 PM »
There were two eagles perched on this tree between Nest 9 territory and Savoie Farm. One of them flew off at my approach from the water.
I often wonder if this is the seaside portion of the mysterious Nest 8 territory. That nest, as far as I can tell, is further inland than most.
April 24, 7:19 pm

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »
And here's the tree of Nest 7... With no nest.
Only a few sticks remain at the very top; that's where the nest was, not in the obvious crotch at the centre of the picture.
Collishaw Point, April 24, 7:20 pm

Here's one adult eagle nearby... I think this is actually the tree that used to hold Nest 6.

Another adult eagle in a favourite perch tree nearby... With a very full crop.

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
I wonder if these are an inexperienced pair of eagles to nest in such an unlikely  part of the tree? One would expect them to choose a less vulnerable spot - or even another tree.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »
That nest had been there for many years, Jeav, at least 6 years in my personal experience, probably a few more. Their old nest was still visible, but falling apart, when I first observed that site.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
June 19, I paddled past this territory. The nest tree still looked the same. There was one eagle perched on the nest tree and another nearby. The light was not great for photos: it was late, and I had hoped for a clearing sunset but the clouds stayed.
Closer to Grassy Point, I had seen two adult eagles perched in Niner territory, and two more between it and Collishaw, in what I think might be the territory of Nest 8 (I still don't know where that nest is, but this could be their bit of shore).

Two more eagles were out on one of the reefs. The larger one had a stained face, and made gulling calls from time to time.
Here she is:
Collisaw Point, June 19, 8:53 pm

Here's what I presume is the male. He has a huge white fluffy hanging from his shoulder. 

Further out was yet another eagle.

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
As I made my way back, I saw the male with the shoulder fluffy and the female with the stained face again. The tide was flooding, and they were in the upper intertidal zone on the point itself, not on the outer reefs as before. They were searching for something in the bladderwrack seaweed.
This went on for several minutes as I approached slowly. Twice the female displaced the male from where he had been feeding. I got pretty close but it was dusk by then, and the high ISO pictures are very grainy. I still can't figure out what they were eating.

Collishaw Point, June 19, 9:30 pm

Here's the eagle with the fluffy, clearly visible at this angle...

She's just displaced him for the second time.
9:31

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Eagle pair still eating mystery food from among the seaweed. At her left foot is her mystery meal.

June 19, 9:31 pm

9:32

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »
Just west of Collishaw Point and still inside or close to the Nest 7 territory I found an eagle pair, sharing a tree.

The male flew off at my approach. The female remained, venting heat through her beak in the strange smoky copper light.

Collishaw point, August 8, 7:30 pm

She's pretty imposing...
She also has a dirty face.
So, we've been going on the theory that the female eagles get dirty faces like that from digging into nesting material...

So either this is not exact, or the Nest 7 eagles have a new nest somewhere that we haven't seen, or else this is not one of the Nest 7 pair.
In my previous post the eagles eating mystery food (someone suggested some stranded crabs among the rocks) were not the Nest 7 pair... I don't know who they were.
So many questions.  :ecsmile

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 10:11:13 PM »
Nice find, wren!    :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Online boonibarb

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »

They also get that facial staining from eating the oily dead Seals & Sea Lions, i believe, but not sure why the males don*t have that so much?
Both males & females dig into the nesting material.
wooohoooo!

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:18 AM »
fascinating observations - and really interesting territory :nod2