HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
April 20, 2018, 09:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heron Rocks Nest - 2017 season  (Read 3436 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

A few minutes later... The adult who delivered the food is perched nearer to shore. Like all the birds that night, he or she is venting heat.
June 23,

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »

July 7... Another visit, by land this time. Same tree, but to me this looks like the other adult.

July 7, 3:35 pm 

Here's the other one, on a nearby tree.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »

On my previous visit, I went on to Norris Rocks. I wanted to check on the nesting Glaucous-winged Gulls. This time I found about 16 nests with gulls sitting on them.
The nests are piles of seaweed. They get flattened, then scattered around, soon after the gull chicks are born.

June 23, 7:37 pm

As usual, some non-breeder Harlequin Ducks stay here through summer. The numbers seem to be up somewhat, after a long decline. My last two visits, I saw about 150 Harlequins around these reefs.
7:42 pm

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »

More cool birds from my last visit to Norris Rocks, offshore from the Heron Rocks nest.

Four Oystercatchers were flying around, over the water - on which they cannot land - vocalizing all the time. I have seen this before and I think it must be some courting or territorial display. They did this twice, for several minutes each time. Once they passed right in front of me and I was able to snap a picture.
June 23, 7:22 pm

Now they're back on the reef with the rest of the flock.
7:43

Stretching both wings and one foot...

And now stretching one wing and one foot.

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »

I've kept my favourite sighting for last.
Caspian Terns are occasional summer visitors here. Their nesting population, once confined to inland lakes, started expanding north and west after they figured out that man-made structures over sea water could serve as nesting platforms.

I had only ever glimpsed them in flight; that day I had my first close look as a small flock collected on Norris Rocks at the approach of sunset. Two of them had bands!
Harlequins in the foreground on this first photo, and some nesting Glaucous-winged Gulls in the background.

Norris Rocks, June 23, 8:00 pm

8:05, on the other side of the islet, with more Glaucous-winged Gulls

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »

On my next visit, July 7, I stayed on the beach and was not able to see the nest. Some of my photos of the adult eagles are in previous postings.
Later on, I approached the neighbouring nest, Olsen Farm; by my best reckoning I was well within its territory when I saw an adult eagle fly off the field above with an unusual load.

I guess grass for nests isn't at a premium on a 160-acre farm; in any case, the Olsen Farm eagles made no complaint as this eagle flew off towards the Heron Rocks nest with some new bedding...

July 7, 4:27 pm

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »

Yesterday I returned to this nest's territory.
I had two goals: one to maybe see the eaglet fledged, and verify if there was really only one.
The other, to check out the migrant shorebird scene.

At first there was someone with a large dog that ran loose on the beach and that made me uncomfortable... Plus no shorebirds would have stayed in the area. So that helped me decide to go up the bank and sneak a little closer to the nest area.

I could hear an eaglet in the tall trees, either on or near the nest. That nest is really hard to find.
I walked around and around, then got distracted by a colourful bird... My first sighting of a Western Tanager on Hornby Island! About time, Booni would say... She's seen a bunch of them but I never did.
July 31, 7:15 pm

winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »

I caught a few glimpses of the nest, way up in a copse of really tall firs. That nest seems to have a lot of grasses on it! With acres and acres of fields around, it's hardly surprising.

I kept hearing one eaglet, and saw an adult come in twice; from the eaglet's excited sounds these must have been food deliveries.

And then I came upon this...  eek!
July 31, 7:30 pm

This has to have been an eaglet... There are tassels at the ends of some of the feathers.

Here's a foot, and more feathers with tassels.

Some of the feathers are still partly sheathed.

The carcass is not complete... Both wings, the spine, a foot... No head. How long has it been there? can it be from a second eaglet of this year, and be so bare and dessicated already? Might it have been dragged around by a dog? is this an eaglet who fell from the nest, or one who flew for a while? I don't know what to think.

Meanwhile for sure a healthy eaglet, possibly still on the nest since this is often one of the later ones.

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »

Oh dear, wren.  Doesn't look good.   nope

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »

There is still an eagle here!
I suspect the eaglet might still be present also; they stayed quite late last year.  But the next emergency call came before I could verify this and before I could get closer to this eagle, who kept eating his or her meal through my brief visit.

August 20, 5:20 pm

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »

Nature can be so harsh  sad and also so beautiful! smile
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

I checked again this afternoon, no eagles!

Just lots of lovely shore birds.  love
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »

Shore birds at Heron Rocks... The Olsen Farm side is a great spot to find early migrants.

We mainly see the little Western Sandpipers and the even smaller Least Sandpipers at migration time: they do not remain in our area for winter.

Western Sandpiper, August 20, 5:20 pm 

Two of them... One napping, opening eyes from time to time.

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 02:09:01 AM »

They  sure are cute lil guys! smile  Landlubbers like myself dont get to see shore birds very often. Thanks for sharing. love
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »

Catching up with some fotos i never had time to post at the time!
On this day it was our Herring Festival & a local fella was taking people out to see the action on his lovely old wooden fish boat!
There wasn*t a whole heckuva lot of action in the Herring department, but it was a lovely sunny day to be out on a boat seeing my world from the water.
Our first stop was Norris Rocks, off Heron Rocks, where you see all the Sea Lions hauled out & roaring away.
There was this lovely young Eagle there.
Looks like someone just entering their third year!

march 19 2017 10:25 - young Eagle on Norris Rocks

The rest of this trip continues in the Nest Helliwell topic.

link to my fotos page - 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently