HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
July 16, 2018, 03:42:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shingle Spit nest - 2016-2017 season  (Read 1768 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: November 15, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »

Booni wrote such a nice introduction to this thread last year, I'm going to recycle it:

The Shingle Spit Nest is very close to where you get off the ferry that arrives at Hornby Island when you come over from Denman.
The Nest is a bit hard to spot, but you can see the Eagles coming & going & perched in Trees near the ferry.
This is a beautiful spot, overlooking Shingle Spit, a really cool formation, the waters of Lambert Channel, which run between Hornby & Denman, Denman Island itself, & an almost never-ending spectacle of wildlife including Ducks, Great Blue Herons, Eagles of all ages, Orca & even Humpback Whales, as well as Cormorants, Black Oystercatchers, you name it.

Last season, this nest produced one healthy eaglet.
To see the postings from last season, and to find links to previous years, click here.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »

I've started doing my monthly seabird counts again. This time the weather was really nice so I used my kayak.

Just after I had launched from near the boat ramp at Shingle Spit, I saw two eagles flying in from off shore.
One landed high on a tree, the other atop a tall rock.
From the Spit itself I could hear an eagle calling... So I'm thinking that this may not be the Shingle Spit pair. They were just south of the limit of the Shingle Spit territory. In the past I have sometimes seen a pair occupying this area; I have looked in vain for a nest.

After a few minutes I realised that the one on the rock was eating something.

November 15, 3:15 pm

I drifted closer...
This is a fairly poor shot, but the best view of the fish. Click on the picture to see it better.
3:17

The eagle had been tearing off big chunks of that fish and now it looks a lot smaller!
3:18

Holding the fish down with a foot again, and tearing off chunks.
3:19

One last mighty gulp...

Delicious!

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:23:31 PM »

I hope there will be eagles and an eaglet (or two) in that nest this year!    nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:03:42 PM »

At the tail end of an outing with the Big Canoe, we paddled slowly around the Spit and the nest came into view!

July 5, 7:10 pm

Mom with wings half open to cool down... Dad on a skinny treetop below her... and one eaglet, already branching!

They are not moving, but we are, circling the end of the Spit, as I keep taking photos.

Eaglet is behind Mom from this angle. Click on the picture and you can see the tassels at the end of the secondaries.

Tiger's hopes have been realized!  smile

Something else, too... As we passed by the ferry I heard a weird sound that I could not identify... We heard it again after we beached the canoe. A bit like the Merlin calls we hear from the cam, but lower, harsher and much louder.
Peregrine falcons!
They must be back nesting on the bluff just south of the Spit like they used to.
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »

Thank you for letting us know that there is an eaglet and things look good at this nest, wren!    thumbup    love

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
ivani

Brazil Brazil

« Post / Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »

Beautiful!! Thank you Wren!  heart heart

iff, ivani
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently