HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
October 18, 2017, 08:52:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phipps Point nest - 2016-2017 season  (Read 2267 times)
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« on: November 11, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »

Here is the history Booni gave us about this nest last year...

Phipps Point is where the ferry used to dock, & go from Hornby to Denman.
The old concrete ferry ramp is still there.
This is a popular locals hangout, great for sunset.
The Nest Tree is right beside the road, covered in Ivy up the trunk, on a bank looking out over the water towards Denman & Vancouver Island.
i walk here a lot with Otto, & don*t always see Eagles, but there are lots of other interesting things to see in this territory!

Lots happened at this nest since Booni wrote this.
At some point the nest slumped down and in December the eagles were observed carrying branches from it to a new location! They failed to hatch any eggs at the new nest, however, and later on in the season they seemed to be rebuilding the old roadside nest.
You can read the details (and some of the confusion) in last year's thread, starting here.

What will this year bring?
duck
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »

Today I talked with the neighbours of this nest. They had been wondering which of the two nest sites the eagles would choose. Ever since they had returned from the salmon runs, they had spent a lot of time at the newer location, further away from the road, but then they have always enjoyed perching in that area, so it was hard to tell what was going on.

Finally this week, the eagles started carrying branches around.
It seems they have chosen the newer location, away from the road, once again! My friends are really happy because they can see the comings and goings from their kitchen!

Tigerlady105
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:23 PM »

thumbup

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
boonibarb
HEGPS
Forum Guide

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »

i have heard from several people about a HUGE feeding event that happened friday afternoon at Phipps Point!
Dozens of Eagles were in every Tree, Sea Lions leaping through the water, Eagles & Gulls diving at the surface.
It seemed the Herring had come close to shore & the surface & everyone was taking advantage of that.

link to my fotos page -  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43214021@N08/

wooohoooo!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:20 PM »

February 23, I worked at Phipps Point, near the water.

There were eagles everywhere. In the morning, so many of them kept gliding slowly just above where I was!
When I finally took a break, that was over, but I found this beauty in a nearby tree.
February 23, 12:05

A lot of trees had eagles on them.
This tree had different eagles perched on it over time; it seems to be a favourite perch, the top bent and bare from use.
We can see some worn first-year tassels on this eagle's secondaries.
12:29

Same tree, different eagle, a while later.
2:10 pm

Cawatcher
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »

love Beauties Winterwren!
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »

A few days later I returned to the same work site.

Still a lot of eagles around!
Again some gliding slowly by...
February 27, 12:39

Now two of them on that same perch tree I photographed last Thursday.

We chose the time of our lunch break well!
Eagles were flying out towards the middle of the channel, where we could see some splashes, from sea lions perhaps.
Within a few minutes this was the scene!
12:43

Other birds on the water... Common Murres (the smallest black-and white ones), Pacific Loons and Common Loons (the larger dark-and-white ones), cormorants (possibly all three kinds) (the dark ones with long necks) and gulls of different kinds (the paler birds).
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »

We watched that herring ball for a long time.

In this picture you can see two eagles that are right in the water. Mostly they just snatch fish from the surface, but they're able to land right in the water, float for a few seconds, swim even, and then take off. But I kept worrying that this might not be entirely a rotating crew of floating eagles, and that one of them was actually stuck. So I took a lot of photos, until I could see the water clear of eagles.

In this one we see a few of the splashes, maybe from sea lions, though we never did see the sea lions themselves.
February 27, 12:43

Three eagles in the water in this one. 12:44

Again three in the water here; different ones hopefully. For sure there was some taking off and landing all the time.

Click on the pictures to enlarge them and see the action better.
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 04:38:44 AM »

amazing photos Wren - thanks for sharing them  heart
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »

March 3, I drove by near sunset with just a few minutes of sunlight left!
I had an appointment somewhere, but I could see lots of gulls near shore and so I went to check it out.

A dozen sea lions were herding the herring into the shallows close to shore. I arrived just as the eagles were leaving the scene, 4 or 5 of them.

This young eagle gave it one last try, and missed his fish. The gull right beside caught one, though.
March 3, 5:15 pm

Here's that same eagle, now heading to shore for a nap. Notice the mix of long and short secondaries: a second-year youngster.

In addition to the gulls, there were about 20 mergansers fishing, most or all Red-breasted Mergansers. A few of them are visible in this photo. The gulls are mostly Glaucous-winged (with pale grey wingtips) and Thayer's (with pink feet and some darker areas on their primary feathers). There's a rather dark immature gull on the left; I don't know what it is.

The gull in the lower centre of the picture has caught two fish!

jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 02:40:16 AM »

What a sight -  glad you were able to spare the time and take those pics ! Thanks for sharing them love
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:01:18 PM »

Thank you for the photos and descriptions, wren.  Looks chaotic in the midst of the feeding on the herring.   nod

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »

These eagles have had 2 different nests in use at different times and finally I got the word from a neighbour: they seem to have moved again into the newer one, unfortunately not visible from the road.

They've been seen carrying branches to that nest, and the neighbour thinks they are incubating.
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »

The nest neighbour sent me an email about this nest:

"The eagles between our place and next door were unsuccessful for the second year but we have recently seen them taking branches to the best so they haven't given up. Maybe they are young adults."

I'm wondering... Maybe one partner changed recently and we're seeing the same dynamics as on the cam nest?
winterwren
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »

More news from Phipps Point neighbour!

"6 pm Baby Peregrines screaming through our trees bordering the neighbour,  1 baby swooshed over my head in the chicken pen, our intrepid flock had already taken cover as soon as we heard them coming down the escarpment, the driveway nest Eagles went nuts but didn't chase them, Ma & Pa Eagle were up high watching everything. My guess is the peregrines were after the big flock of starlings we had all over the front field and berry patch in the morning, but they hid in the trees as soon as the action started. Now no starlings or Robins to be seen or heard, all is calm."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently