Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 173091 times)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #1155 on: July 08, 2020, 06:40:03 PM »
It was time to go check on the Burrowing Owls in this prairie dog town.  Last year they had at least two owlets but their burrow was pretty far away from the road.  This year was so much better.  I have a video of the parent and the owlets on their burrow.  You can hear the adult call (sorry about the wind, it is Nebraska). You have to also excuse the dip in the video at first because I was trying to find them in the view finder  :eclol

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tnvnd_aNmA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tnvnd_aNmA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9SloMuFfY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9SloMuFfY</a>
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1156 on: July 08, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
Was able to watch this burrowing owl family this morning before I needed to get to work.  I have to say I didn't want to leave, they are so cute.
 The parent is on the left side of the burrow and then the 3 owlets on the right.  The one in the middle was the adventurous one, it flew off and caught some kind of grub.
 What a proud moment for him and his parent.

Don't they have long legs !!!!

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #1157 on: July 18, 2020, 04:59:29 AM »

Miigwetch Deb.... Your posts and photos ALWAYS put a smile on my face!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1158 on: July 18, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »
Another visit out to the Prairie Dog town to watch the Burrowing Owls.  OMG it was amazing, stayed there over 4 hours (just kept watching them, or them watching me - lol)  First you know how hard it is to get a family portrait? someone is always looking away or has their eyes shut.  This holds true for these owls, I swear, LOL. 

Dad was comfy on the left side of the burrow and the mom is on the right side, the owlets popped up and down from the middle where the opening to the burrow is.  In one Photo dad became very protective when a squirrel wandered through the area.  He got his wings up and was hissing and bobbing back and forth, too bad I was just taking photos cause a video would have been awesome.

Even the owlets would preen on each other.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1159 on: July 18, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
The owlets stayed pretty close the whole time I was there.  One was a bit more adventurous and I would call it a major step in growing up - it flew to a post right in front of my car (cars work great as a bird blind) and then back to the burrow area with the others.  The owlets can be really funny characters looking around.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1160 on: July 18, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »
I had way to much fun enjoying these Burrowing Owls and the owlets.  I had been waiting to see if there would be some food delivered but no luck.
 Still a few photos to share.

These are a few of the Prairie Dogs that live in the neighborhood

A little video of the family, besides the wind you can hear the prairie dog barking and a little call from the owlet.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eYRMQrt5Xg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eYRMQrt5Xg</a>

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1161 on: July 20, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
My little project this summer has been raising monarch caterpillars.  I have got a nice crop of milkweed growing which is very important in the life of a monarch from egg to butterfly.  This generation I had a couple of butterflies visit and leave eggs on the leaves.  I had seen the females flying around so I was able to go and find a number of eggs.  Now after days of feeding them and then waiting while they are in the chrysalis I had 2 emerge.  I released them on my swamp milkweed.  This is a male which stayed for a bit and had some nectar from the flower.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1162 on: July 25, 2020, 06:49:20 PM »
The last couple of weeks there has been a comet that has been visible that you could even see without a scope.  It is called Neowise,  it was visible right before sunset and then lately it was visible right below the big dipper after sunset.  Celestial photos can be a big challenge (as I found out).  First it is dark, hard to find the object in the view finder, then trying to focus is the next.  Many photos and deletes later I had a couple that at least I knew what I had in the picture.  Besides the comet and many stars and constellations can be seen with just your eyes.  One that is pretty well know it the Big Dipper or also known as Ursa Major.  That is the best way to find the comet, look under the pot of the big dipper.  Then there are planets, right now two that you can see are Jupiter and Saturn ( two large planets).  Jupiter has many moons so if you can zoom in on it there are a couple of moons you can see that look like stars to us.  Saturn is a really neat planet because of its rings.  I took a chance at a photo of Saturn and Oh My Gosh - the Rings were there.  Best of all the moon was at a crescent phase so less light out there, again that is good but difficult for focus issues.  You like a challenge don't you?  While picking my place to have a good view you get to watch the sunsets.  Here are a couple of sunsets also.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1163 on: July 25, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
It is the time of the 3rd generation of monarch to emerge.  I have been raising many caterpillars and now they have started to emerge as Butterflies.  Here is a photo of the enclosure that i keep them in, I pin the chrysalis to the top of the netting. Once they have emerged and their wings have dried then they are ready for release.  Here are a couple of released monarchs.

Monarch emerging ( please mute,  there are no sounds of nature - just the sound of the leaf blower ) lol
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmbK5d4EDg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmbK5d4EDg</a>

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »

awesome Deb!!  brings back lots of memories of raising monarchs in mishi mommas dining room!  (she was not impressed!)

miigwetch!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1165 on: August 29, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »
It is the season for butterflies.  The flowers are blooming giving them lots of nectar for food.  Not only the Monarchs are enjoying the flowers but I have seen many Tiger Swallowtails also.

Amazing how this one can still fly with its wings so bad.

Male Monarch

The Monarch Migration has started so now is the time to tag them as they continue on their journey

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1166 on: August 29, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
Here is another Tiger Swallowtail only this one is the male,  the ones in the other post are the females.  These butterflies are pretty large,  look at the eye on this first one.

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1167 on: September 01, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Beautiful! How do you tell the difference between male and female?

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #1168 on: September 22, 2020, 07:05:19 AM »

Amazing photos Deb!  Gitchi miigwetch for sharing them.  Those with the battered wings... wow.  I hope they have successful flights!