Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 168904 times)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #1140 on: May 19, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »
One of the neatest birds that I found this spring is this Virginia Rail.  It came up from the wetland and went under the car who was in front of me.  I couldn't lay down fast enough to get a photo under the car but it then came out on the other side and walked across the road and stopped.  Perfect to get a nice photo of it.

Virginia Rail

This raptor lives here all year long,  The American Kestrel is the smallest of the falcone family.  He was hunting over the meadow.

Male Kestrel

Sometimes they fly in large groups

Franklin's Gulls
A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1141 on: May 19, 2020, 11:19:01 PM »
fantastic captures ! :eceek

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #1142 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:40 AM »
What a wonderful array of bird visitors Deb  :ecsmile- most of whom I have never seen, and some I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing your piece of nature. :eclove

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1143 on: May 20, 2020, 07:32:51 PM »
Thank You Jeavv and Cali,   so glad you enjoyed the photos

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1144 on: May 20, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
Let's see what other birds we can look at from around my area.  You can check if you have seen them in your area.

Pectoral Sandpiper

Baird's Sandpiper

Common Snipe

Lesser Yellowlegs

Isn't that challenging to try and identify these shorebirds?

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1145 on: May 20, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
I still have more.........  Looking for some swimming or diving birds.... 

Cormorants (look at those feet)

Female Wood Duck

Male Wood Duck

Ruddy Duck, Coot ( 2 for 1)

Pintail Duck

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1146 on: May 20, 2020, 09:14:42 PM »
Birds and more birds.  Some of these birds migrate and some of them stay here during the summer.

Yellow headed Blackbirds

Red Winged Blackbird

Eastern Kingbird

House Sparrow (very, very common around here )

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1147 on: May 20, 2020, 09:42:06 PM »
Have you had to use your field guide to check out some of these birds to make sure I was correct?  I may have some wrong   :mhihi

Goldfinch

Cardinal

Brown Thrasher

White crowned sparrow

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1148 on: May 21, 2020, 06:23:20 PM »
I have been checking on this eagles nest every week.  Last weekend I saw the adult with a very nice catch,  it wanted to take the food to the nest so bad but it was pretty large.  It struggled for sometime with it and while it struggled the eaglets were screeping, watching and waiting for dinner to be brought to the nest.

After the eagle was done feeding the eaglets it flew off and I found it perched and drying its wings. (It has been drizzly)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1149 on: May 21, 2020, 07:38:10 PM »
I have some cute, spoiled and baby squirrels living in my front yard tree.  They finally got big enough to venture out and found my backyard feeders and oranges.  They sure are fun to watch.

When your paws are sticky from oranges you need to clean them !!!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1150 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:48 PM »
Not only do I have squirrels I knew there was a Screech Owl visiting.  I got a trail cam and saw it visit many times, coming to the backyard.  I would hear it calling from one of my trees but could never figure out for sure of its location.  Just the other day I was out and heard the little call so I kept looking in the tree.
 It was still light enough to see and sure enough I finally located the face of the owl.

Now that is some awesome camouflage !!

When the adult finally flew out to my surprise these two popped up to take a look out.

Well now the story gets stressful.  The youngsters are at that age where they are ready to get out of the nest cavity.
June 2

June 3
Tonight there is such a ruckus going on in the tree, birds are flying in and out and calling so I thought I better look closely on the branches.  No owl peeking out of the nest cavity, sigh.  Watching the birds I find the owlet on a branch.  Eyes wide and looking around (can't imagine what is going through its mind)

The parent appears close to the youngster.

Those grackles continue to come after the owlet,  it flaps over to another branch (doing pretty good) and the birds continue to pester it.  I keep watching hoping it will get dark enough the birds will go to bed.  Well the little owl gets knocked off the branch, yikes.  I go and get it,  in the nest tree I had put up an owl box (which they didn't use this year.  I have hubby get the ladder and I put it in the owl box thinking it will rest and be safe for the night.  Wrong...  it got up and looked around and flew out to the branch, but it was dark enough now that the other birds are quiet.  The next problem is a severe storm is heading our way (strong wind and rain).  Worry again if it will be ok during the storm.  June 4 in the morning I head out to look around in case it got grounded during the storm.  What a relief I find the parent and the owlet side by side on the neighbors tree.

June 4
The parent stayed close all day, I talked with my neighbor to keep an eye out and when I got home from work they were still in the tree, just moved a little bit on the branch.  It is getting close to sunset and again the birds start bothering the owls.  I go and check and I don't see them together.  I see the leaves move so the little one must be there.  Then the parent flys across the street and I see on the street by a car is a little one.  I get it picked up and back to the owl box.  Now it is dark so no good photos.
 It peeks out of the owl box and I hear the other owlet calling for the parent.  Ahhhhh  it is close by, the parent is calling to them also.  The little one in the owl box flys out to the branches where I think its sibling is.  I sure hope they have a good night.

The very watchful parent

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #1151 on: June 05, 2020, 07:42:47 AM »
Terrific!

Offline mishikeenhquay

• HEGPS
« Reply #1152 on: June 05, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »

Deb, Your posts are so wonderful!  Gitchi miigwetch for sharing!
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

Offline fol-di-rol

« Reply #1153 on: June 05, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »
Deb - so happy to see the owlet back with the parent - that was an anxious night, I'm sure.  thank you for letting us know.   :heart

Offline winterwren

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1154 on: June 05, 2020, 10:48:22 PM »
Thanks so much for the news of your little Screech Owlets! I'm so glad all is well with them after all those adventures. They're lucky to have such a kind and watchful neighbour!