Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 95757 times)

Offline Donnae

• HEGPS
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #930 on: August 28, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
Thanks Deb, one happy owl.... releases always make my heart sing!!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #931 on: September 01, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
The hummingbirds have returned in the area as they are heading south for the winter.  I get the Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds here.  I have my feeders out and then my neighbor has a really neat garden which they visit.  There is a male that owns the feeder and he rarely lets anyone else near the feeder. The first photo is a male the second is a female or youngster the 3rd is one is in the air just about to enjoy a flower and the last is one that flew up to a branch and as it sat there it was panting... it was a warm and muggy day.

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #932 on: September 03, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
The male hummers really can get nasty when guarding "their" territory!   :grr
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #933 on: September 07, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
Happy Hummingbird time for me,  now if the sun would just come out before they all leave.  I put out 2 feeders so they can share,  well that still doesn't happen very well.  I have seen one sitting up in the tree watching and waiting for one to just try and get close to the feeder, of course they are not very successful.  The watcher one is off and chasing any that come close.  Seems now we just have the females and youngsters here.  Here is a picture of one that flew in on a branch and sat for a bit.  It was ready for its photo shoot and then to my surprise it looked to its side and stuck out its tongue, a mighty long tongue for sure.  They are not very good at sharing their food source.  I have noticed one sitting and just watching all around from a nice perch spot, then as one tries to get a drink away it goes chasing it away.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #934 on: September 07, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
Those long tongues are really something!    :nod2

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #935 on: September 18, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Time for me to update some info about my snapping turtle Spike.  He was coming up on 4 years old and growing up to be a big turtle.  He was not a sweet and cuddly guy but one that could snap and not let go,  one that would look up out of the water at you with that pig like nose.  It was time to get him a bigger tank or think about letting him go.  I talked to our university herpetologist earlier this summer about what to do about introducing him back to the wild.  He assured me that he would be just fine if he was out in the wild early in the summer to give him time to find a nice place and get adjusted before he would have to hibernate.  He told me that after they are born they are on their own and know exactly what to do without a parent teaching them anything.  So I thought of a nice out of the way place to take him.  I didn't want him around a lake or where people fish cause there are people who like turtle soup and I sure didn't want that to happen.  The good thing that we did for Spike was to feed him live food.  He always had minnows, crickets, worms of all kinds so I was sure he would be just fine.  A snapping turtle can live a long long time, up to 50 years,  well I am pretty sure he would live longer than me so it is best to part ways now.   

one last close up

Once in the water he gave me once last look,  Bye for now - Love You Spike

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #936 on: September 18, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
Released to the wild with love and compassion.    :heart

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #937 on: September 18, 2018, 10:09:23 PM »
oh, very well done, Deb.  You have a gift with critters (and a camera).  :eclove

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #938 on: September 21, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
The hummingbirds at my place have been very active and hungry.  I needed to fill the one feeder a bit the other day so as I was taking it down one flew by me so I thought,  What if I hold it out would they come to the feed as I was standing there holding it.  Well of course I tried it and sure enough they did, so I though this is cool and decided to get my phone out and start a video.  So this is up close with the hummingbirds.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsd3Mhjt9RQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsd3Mhjt9RQ</a>

How cool it was to see them so close and to feel their wing beats around me.  I have so enjoyed their company while they have been hear,  now the winds have changed from the north so I imagine they will be moving on south for the winter.  I sure hope I get to see them again in the spring

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #939 on: September 24, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
I had a day off to go out and do some birding on Sunday.  The sun was nice and bright but the wind was pretty strong from the south.  I drove out to the wetland area and looked around.  Not looking good at all, a couple of GBH off in the distance, northern harrier flying far away.  I though this was going to be a bust, but decided to go check out one more area.  Lots of swallow action, there was a wire frame out in the middle of the marsh and the swallows would land then take off hunting the dragonflies and other bugs.

After watching the swallows and not seeing much of anything else I was ready to leave.  I started to drive off and then all of a sudden these birds flew up from by the road ditch and landed out in the middle of the marsh.  Of course I stopped the car right away and got out the camera and looked.  Wow I found 5 Ibis, they stayed in a group for a bit so I decided to sneak through the grass along the roadside and got settled in by the fence to watch them.  Soon they were walking towards me probing in the water for food,  I have been there for awhile now.  I got some nice photos but if I get up I could scare them so I sit and watch them.  Well the sitting paid off even more than I could imagine.  One was so busy eating he kept coming closer.  Now I am really excited, watching it walk closer and closer. 

White Faced Ibis

sniff-  :eclol

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #940 on: September 25, 2018, 12:14:08 AM »
Wow, Deb! Wonderful photos of a bird I have never seen (ibis).  Wonder why they are called white-faced?  And a neat landing spot for the swallows.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #941 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:59 AM »
I was trying to get a bit closer in some of the pictures to see a little difference in the face markings.  Best explanation that I can say is this is the non breeding coloration.  In the pictures you can see a bit of difference,  one has a bit of a white outline and one has more of a purple color and then the other seems just brown.  So maybe one is a youngster also.  So come springtime they should look different.  Now that gives me another reason to get out and find them again in the spring.

Thanks for your question.

Offline boonibarb

• HEGPS
    • my flickr photos
« Reply #942 on: September 25, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »

FABULOUS sightings Deb!
i sure enjoy all your posts, showing me wonderful Birds & Animals i never see here. ♥
wooohoooo!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #943 on: September 26, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »
Thanks Booni and everyone else that checks in here.  I enjoy sharing my photos and little adventures that I get to take.  Now I have a little photo here from tonight.  I have been finding bird droppings on my patio,  always in the same place.  I wash it off and there it is the next day.  So tonight I go out and look up in the tree right above where I keep finding the droppings and I see the shadowy figures of birds on the branch.  I go back in the house and get the camera of course.  But the issue is it is very dark out now.  I pop up the flash on the camera to get a picture of what is up there.  Caught the love couple on their branch.  I think he is looking at me like how dare you interrupt us and I think she was trying to hide.

This couple is the Eurasian Collared Doves ( maybe the ones that had the nest in the other tree)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #944 on: September 29, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »
butterflies, Butterflies, Butterflies.....  How about some butterfly fun  :biggrin3

You have seen pictures of Monarch Butterflies but there have been lots of others around.  Here is an  interesting comparison between   a common butterfly called the Painted Lady and an American Lady -- look close there is a slight difference between two.   I also enjoyed seeing a couple others.

Check out the differences in these two

Pearl Crescent

Variegated Fritillary

Please post what you think is the differences in the Lady butterflies  :hooray