HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
June 20, 2018, 11:51:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 71874 times)
gmadeb3
HEGPS

United States United States

« Post / Reply #885 on: June 05, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »

This is a quote from Cornell and All About Birds  -- Kingfishers live near streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, and estuaries. They nest in burrows that they dig into soft earthen banks, usually adjacent to or directly over water.   So this may explain why this hole was something they were interested in.

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #886 on: June 05, 2018, 10:09:52 PM »

Interesting information, Deb.  Thank you for sharing it.

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
jeavverhey

« Post / Reply #887 on: June 06, 2018, 02:40:31 AM »

Swallows need to put out an "OCCUPIED" sign  mhihi
gmadeb3
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #888 on: Yesterday at 07:58:50 PM »

I volunteer for our Raptor Rehab center as a transporter and short term stop over for raptors as they need to travel across our state to reach the centers rehab facility.  Sometime I can keep them for a few days as we arrange rides for the raptor(s).  From my place it is about 115 miles east one way so that is why arranging rides is important because maybe there is another bird that needs a ride also and we can meet up and relay birds together.  So now the rescue story of a little screech owl.  The young screech owl was found on a guys porch and he called a gal he knew that dealt with animals,  she then knew the place I worked at was involved in releases because of the bald eagle we released in April.  She brought the owl to us and then I was in charge of finding a ride or taking it myself.  This last weekend was a very hot one and the director said it was OK for me to keep it through the weekend knowing I had food for it and that there was nothing else that was wrong with it.  Maybe there would be other calls that would need a ride also.  I then contacted the gal again to get a better idea of where the owlet was grounded and just maybe I could find the nest.  I took a walk in the neighborhood on Sunday evening hoping to hear or see some adult activity.
 I had recorded the young one calling and so I played that recording and bingo I had the adult fly by and then sat in the tree and called.  I had goosebumps because I was so excited.  Well it was too dark to see in the trees for a nest but the next day I went looking for it.  I used the call again after I found a cavity in a maple tree that looked promising,  Amazing a head emerged from the darkness of the hole.  The Parent was in there.........and again i got goosebumps.  So now the issue was do I put it back or take it to the center.  I called the director and she was concerned about the adult attacking me if i got to close to the hole.  I told her that I had access to a bucket truck from our phone company and they were happy to help out.  She agreed that this would be the best for the little one cause the longer away the chance of imprinting on people could happen also.  I had a ride for it but not until Wednesday so this was the best plan,  take it back to the parents.  The bucket truck arrived and we got in position, up we went and got in a good position so i could stay on the side of the branch and reach around and put it back in the nest.  It worked perfect,  we didn't scare the parent and the little one went right in.  Later that night I went back and waited til it was getting dark,  I saw the parent peeking out and then off she flew.  I heard the male calling from another tree also.  After she left I kept looking at the nest hole and then I saw some movement.  I took some pictures but they were pretty dark so I turned on the flash and took a picture.  Looking at the picture I was thrilled to see 2 sets of eyes peering out.  The siblings were together and mom and dad were out looking for a meal.  One returned a number of times to feed them and by then it was really dark and hard to see anything or even hear them, except for a few nice little calls.  The crazy thing about this is the nest is just one block away from my house.  I went and checked again tonight and the mom flew out after she heard her mate call and I could still see the little ones in the hole. What a great feeling to reunite the family....... now it better stay put til it is ready to fledge   heart

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman
Tigerlady105
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #889 on: Today at 12:11:59 AM »

What a wonderful report and outcome. Deb!   heart

Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir
Pages:  1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently