Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 86461 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #870 on: May 13, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »
Lovely birds, Deb.    :eclove
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #871 on: May 14, 2018, 04:14:47 AM »
Thanks for the tips Deb.  :thumbup: I will try the oranges because they dont seem interested in my feeders, but no jelly because we have ant problems in the neighbourhood.

Offline ivani

« Reply #872 on: May 14, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »
Wonderful photos, Deb!! :heart :heart Thanks for sharing!
iff, ivani

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #873 on: May 17, 2018, 09:38:21 PM »
The Marshy wetland area has been a wonderful stop over by many birds migrating through.  Such a variety has stopped and if you are lucky you can see them.  I was able to stay in my car and take these pictures.  This first photo is of a  virginia rail.  There were two of them there but they really stayed back by the grassy weeds.

Another sweet looking bird along this area is a Sora.  That bird brings new meaning to shake your booty........  it bobs its tail up and down with every step it takes- you see the white flash up and down before you really see the bird.

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #874 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
Good shotsvof interesting birds🤗

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #875 on: May 18, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
Great photos of mysterious birds ... I have never seen a Sora, and have only heard but not seen the Virginia Rail. 

I am curious - where is this wetland? The one in Utica was pretty wonderful.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #876 on: May 18, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »
This is located about 6 miles west of Aurora and 1 or 2 miles south of highway 34,  there are 2 areas that you can find the different birds at.  It was very dry when you were here, Nancy.  Now with the rain it has come to life.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #877 on: May 19, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
Was traveling to Omaha for the weekend and decided to take a little detour off the interstate by Utica (Nancy knows the place).  We have had some nice rain lately so there is ample water in the wetlands.  Many GBH's in the area and then this log was loaded with cormorants.  Driving along I see a whitish bird on the mud flat.
 I drive up slowly and stop the car- I have 4 dogs in the car that are bird watching with me  :eceek.  There standing on the mud flat was a Black-crowned Night-Heron. 

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #878 on: May 19, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
The milkweed plants are shooting up so thought i would share some pictures of what they look like when they are small before they flower.

Common Milkweed

Swamp Milkweed

Butterfly milkweed

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #879 on: May 21, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
After all the rain we had over the weekend it was really worth the visit to the very good wetlands just north of the interstate at the Utica exit.  I was hoping to find some Ibis and lucky for me there was a pretty good number of them But the coolest part was there stood one just a ways off the road.  The only issue was that it was a cloudy and drizzly evening so kinda hard on the getting a nice bright picture.

Traveling down the road I saw another Ibis all by itself.  It was standing on one leg from what I could tell,  then it hopped a little and I thought wow that other leg didn't come down for it to stand on.  I continued to watch and it flapped to move to another spot and still I only saw the one leg.  I was now focusing on looking at the legs to see if maybe some line was holding the leg up or what could be the matter.  It was managing very well probing in the water eating.  So when I got home and looked at the pictures on the computer I could see that there was an issue but the issue was the bottom part of its leg was missing not at all tangled.

Another great find was Black-necked Stilt- a first for me to see.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #880 on: May 21, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
Gosh, Deb, those are great finds and great photos!  I can't imagine birding with 4 dogs in the car, tho.  :eclol
Seems like you are having a great Spring (now that it is there).

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #881 on: June 04, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
I had time to get out and hike in the prairie this last weekend,  needing some time to get out and sit with the birds.  My trip took me to a nice little prairie where I know  the Northern Rough-winged Swallows nest.  It is a nice sandbank just a ways from the Platte River.  I just sat in the grass below the hill and watched a couple work on their nest.  Others would just fly by picking up bugs (I know there were many mosquitoes for them).  Along the hillside there were some nice pine trees and it seemed they would go into the trees and come out and go right to the nest hole in the bank.  Now I will tell you they are not easily photographed,  they are fast as swallows are.  Sometimes one would go to the dirt and fly up to the hole.  This will make me get back out to check on them later to see if there are little ones.

please click the photo to see it enlarged and you can see the nest holes on the left towards the top. The active building is the one pretty much in the middle.  I was sitting down by the stick pile watching them.

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #882 on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Something very interesting happened while I was watching the Rough-winged swallows.  I kept hearing a kingfisher chattering and chattering, of course they were behind me up in the tree so no way to get a photo.  A bit later one came back, chattering again,  this time it landed in another tree and I could see him.  He had a minnow in his beak,  still chattering all the while.  He then took off and flew to the nest hole that the swallows were working on.  He tried to get in the hole and then flew off.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #883 on: June 04, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
Nice way to be able to observe birds doing their daily life activities, Deb!     :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #884 on: June 05, 2018, 03:52:46 AM »
See s very odd for kingfisher to go to swallow nest hole.  :really
Any theories?  :puzzled2