Author Topic: My Nebraska  (Read 86958 times)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
Re: My Nebraska
« Reply #855 on: April 16, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »
Two videos from a little wetland after the snow had melted.  The shorebirds are arriving now.  Also the Yellow-headed blackbirds have arrived and are hanging out with the red-winged black birds also.  The video of the Godwits is looking into the evening sun but they were so busy probing in the water it was pretty funny.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FexZdwzRE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FexZdwzRE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNNL3Cgcnk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNNL3Cgcnk</a>

A smile is the universal welcome- Max Eastman

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #856 on: April 19, 2018, 10:44:20 PM »
There is just something about some birds that just bring out a smile--Sharp-tailed Grouse are one of those birds.  I still have some photos to look at.  Here is a sharp-tailed grouse

This male is trying to impress another male in his territory

Looking around on the Lek for other males

Offline Cawatcher

• HEGPS
« Reply #857 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
 :eclove Such beautiful captures!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #858 on: April 30, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
I have to get some more shorebirds posted here.  It has been pretty dry around here and I found this one little bit of water that has been pretty busy with a variety of birds.  Starting with some of the larger ones.

Hudsonian Godwits, they really use those long bills to probe down in the water to look for food

The Common Snipe, not as long legged

Baird's Sandpiper,  keeping tabs on them running around is pretty hard

Greater yellowlegs (has the yellow legs, godwits all have their heads in the water)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #859 on: April 30, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
This Godwit is a Marbled one,  I like it cause you can see the nostril in the bill

I have seen many different ducks also,  here is a female greater scaup

Not one or two but a whole tree filled with Double crested cormorants - some stay through the summer but most like these are just stopping for a bit.

Pretty neat to see a Northern Shoveler out of water

This was something else to see,  the bald eagle came in and chased the Red Tail Hawk

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #860 on: April 30, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
I can never catch a nice picture of a pheasant,  here he is running away from me....... :eceek

American Avocet,  look at that long slender bill.  It is so neat to watch how each different bird uses their bill to get food.

Wood Ducks on the log and she was not happy with this fella, she snapped at him

This male took the place of the other and she was so much happier,  they even shared a little beaking kiss

This GBH had just finished eating and was still trying to get it all down,  here it is sticking out its tongue

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #861 on: April 30, 2018, 07:24:36 PM »
What a nice day and met up with a friend in Omaha to do some birding,  hope to find an owl at least.  We had finished walking around the lake and decided to take a chance to go look in the pine trees,  why we picked this spot I don't know but she let me go first and we got in the middle of the trees and started walking through the middle of the trees.  Looking up, back and forth, dodging branches and trying to be quiet.  We passed two trees and i looked up to my right and OMG I couldn't move or speak- there was this Long-eared Owl looking straight down at me.
 I motioned to my friend to get closer and we slowly got our cameras pointed up to take a picture of him.  He just kept looking at us as we were looking back at him.  Finally we slowly walked forward and left the area,  we got to a clearing and boy we were able to breath and do a little happy dance.  It was such a relief to leave the area without disturbing the owl.

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #862 on: April 30, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
Nice sightings, Gmadeb3!   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #863 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »
Wow, Deb - awesome bird sightings and photos! I love godwits and never see them here, just in Alaska or Iceland - maybe I need to try closer to home and visit Nebraska in late April ... 

Those owl photos are spectacular !!

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #864 on: May 07, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »
This evening was out in the yard and I noticed the triplets playing around the tree, I looked up and here came mom down and I had put out a few acorns.  She enjoyed a little snack and then went up on the tree branch.  One of the youngsters went up and was having a few new leaves from the tree for a snack and then one decided to go see mom.  She was enjoying a nice rest on the tree branch,  it was a pretty warm day here.  Nice time to take a nap............ so she thought.

Little one comes up to his mom, "Hi Mom"

Do you want to play?

How about a piggy back ride?

Maybe you want a massage

Gee,  isn't this fun.

Thank goodness he is gone....

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #865 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
 :eclol Very cute!!!
"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #866 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
Fun captions with Mama Squirrel and Son.    :giggle
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #867 on: May 09, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »
While taking a hike in the forest I found this cute little foot.  When it moved it then appeared attached to this cute little squirrel

Offline jeavverhey

« Reply #868 on: May 10, 2018, 03:28:58 AM »
The afternoon nap  series is hysterical! They could be human  - almost :-)

Offline gmadeb3

• HEGPS
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #869 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »
Spring brings many birds back for the summer.  Yesterday I saw a baltimore oriole so time to get out the oranges and grape jelly.  If you put out what they like they will come and enjoy.  Male, female first year males.  I have refilled the jelly and put out 4 oranges sliced up.
 I think I counted 12 here today.

Time to stock up on supplies and just maybe there will be a nest and babies in one of our trees.  :ecsmile